PDA

View Full Version : black paint for speaker cans

jmvotto
10-04-2010, 09:48 PM
My pods have faded and want to bring them back to new like condition, do i used an epoxy paint, metallic, or the stove paint. not sure where i could powder coat near me, which is probably the best and most expensive option.:confused:

deafgoose
10-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Might be easier to just get some Simichrome Metal Polish and then get some speaker socks to maintain the shine.

jmvotto
10-04-2010, 10:15 PM
you just going to use a rattle can? or shoot with a HVLP gun?

the enamel won't hold up that long

acrylic enamel base/clear would be my first choice but it's only the speaker cans and not the vintage muscle car...

spray rattle can , not sure what a HVLP gun is. but it is only the speaker cans.

someone on WW used truck bed liner on the cans, looked ok, but i want the gloss black finish.

Razzman
10-04-2010, 11:24 PM
I used a metallic red enamal on my last boats speakers cans (DIY polished cans to be exact) and it held up just fine for three years. The trick as said is to use light coats, but even then too close and it'll run, too far and it fogs. Be consistent with your distance and once totally cured a few weeks down the road you can wet sand to a real high luster with 1500/2000 grit and polish up if you want. The key is to wax them a few times a year to protect.

jmvotto
10-05-2010, 07:09 AM
I used a metallic red enamal on my last boats speakers cans (DIY polished cans to be exact) and it held up just fine for three years. The trick as said is to use light coats, but even then too close and it'll run, too far and it fogs. Be consistent with your distance and once totally cured a few weeks down the road you can wet sand to a real high luster with 1500/2000 grit and polish up if you want. The key is to wax them a few times a year to protect.

maybe i can just wax them now to bring back the shine. good thought Razz.

Brianinpdx
10-05-2010, 01:06 PM
JMV - I'd say take them to a automotive body shop, ask them how they want them prep'd and you should be in and out of there for about 100.00 with any color you want and cleared. This way you'll be assured that they wont fade in the sun because they will use UVA/UVB inhibitors. Rattle can will work to, but it will give you marginal long term results.

Or just sticker bomb the whole thing like Ian did! :-P

-Brian
Exile Audio

jmvotto
10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Brian,

Thanks I do have a client in the auto paint business. hmmnn.

But if i am going to pay 100.00 to paint these they i may as well sell them as is and upgrade to some all black exile xm7's ( black matches my paint accent);)

where are Ian's stickered up pics???

found it
cool but not me
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783854&highlight=speakers

viking
10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
HA - that's kinda cool!

kaneboats
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Well, they were right about the "some will love it, some will hate it" part. ;)

Brianinpdx
10-06-2010, 12:40 PM
JMV - There I was tryin to give ya some good advice on paint... eheh! But by all means, come to the dark side and rock Exile. I just checked out your photo album... If you surf a lot, you might look at the SXT65's. Razzman just did that setup and it would be a pretty impressive upgrade from where you are at currently. If you like black accents, I think the SXT's look freakin hot. I'm partial to the murdered out look.

As for the Sticker bomb thing... I saw your link. Didnt Ian post it over here on the moomba site? oh boy. I saw it on WW but figured it was up over here too. I dont know if i'd go doing something like that, but I have to say, it turned out great. And its always fun to see a fresh idea. GJ Ian

-Brian
Exile Audio

Razzman
10-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I cannot say ENOUGH about the Exile SXT65 setup! I've had the boat out three times since installing and while i know it's not dialed in ideally yet, it still is awesome! Evryone that has either wakeboarded or surfed the boat raves about the sound. And as Brian said the blackout look just sets the boat off!

jmvotto
10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Brian, FYI I swapped out my polk 651's to krypt 6.5 hlcd's.

we board ski, and surf, so either may work well

Brianinpdx
10-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks razz. I sent ya an email about being down in norcal on the 16th. We might have to run a clinic on your boat. Exile is sponsoring that polar bear event wake9 is throwing.

JMV- sounds like a winter project is in the making... Hehe! Sticker bombs for all!