PDA

View Full Version : Zero hours this year - Maintenance recommendations before winter?

Iowa05LSV
10-04-2010, 12:51 PM
This was a very bad boating year for a lot of reasons. I'd like to get the Forum's recommendations for maintenance. Our LSV has been stored inside all year, hasn't been un-winterized since last fall. I've "bumped" the starter a few times over the summer to move things but would like to get the collective thoughts on what should be performed before winter begins again. Full re-winterization seems overkill but I want to keep things safe. Thanks for your recommendations.
Iowa05LSV

sandm
10-04-2010, 12:54 PM
will be interesting to see what everyone recommends. I'd probably check with the dealer and if they are any good, they will be honest.

personally, I'd just make sure that the water is out or changed and pull impeller if it's still installed. that's a long time for it to dry up and crack.. I wouldn't mess with oil.

DOCDRS
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I would pull the block drains and see if anything comes out then apply antisieze n reinstall
Assuming nothing comes out. I run the engine and fog it to recoat all shafts,seals
And bearings with a fresh coat of oil fogging will coat the cylinder rings. And like above
Make sure impeller is out.

OBV6
10-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I agree with everyone in the previous posts. On the trailer I would rotate the wheels some to lube the bearings and reduce tire cupping and check the inflation. If you haven't changed the oil in the axles already that would be a quick 30 min bit of insurance on it as well and top off the master cylinder.

MartinCaron
10-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Do not forget to film the incredible white smoke cloud coming out of exhausts next spring.

mmandley
10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
If you fogged the engine last year then i dont see a point to refogg the engine this year.

1. fogging is not to protect the engine from a lack of lube, its to protect the engine from internal rust due to exposed metals with no oil coating from a running engine.

2. I would hook the trailer up and take it around the block a few times. Mainly to exercise the bearing, get the lube working around everything in the axle, and to make sure nothing in the braking system is locking or sticking due to sitting for a year.

3. Most important to me, change the fluids in the engine and trans, after sitting for a whole year without being used the detergents used to protect the engine will be breaking down.

4. If you didn't have the tank full of fuel with stabilize id drain the tank and replace with fresh fuel. If you did leave the tank full with fuel and stabil then id add octane booster next time you do run the engine.

kaneboats
10-06-2010, 09:11 AM
De-winterize and go on vacation somewhere warm. :) Sorry to hear about the lost season. Sure hope next year treats you better.

sandm
10-06-2010, 10:49 AM
De-winterize and go on vacation somewhere warm. :)

this gets my vote for best advice in this thread :)

yearround
10-06-2010, 11:41 PM
this gets my vote for best advice in this thread :)

Im with kane and sandm on this one too. sorry you could not get out this year. i can't offer anything in the way on mechanics.

Iowa05LSV
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your input!