PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else amazed with the Acme 1235 prop?

you da man
10-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Switched out the stock OJ wakeboard prop for the Acme 1235 and I have to say I'm very impressed. Overall the prop right out of the box looked more refined. Benefits of the new prop were (and very noticeable I might add): improved holeshot, ZERO vibration anywhere in the rpm range, cabin noise significantly reduced, prop wash in the middle of the wake is significantly less and very smooth to ride on (hardly any bubbles/air compared to the OJ), and neutral steering.

GeauxTigers
10-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Switched out the stock OJ wakeboard prop for the Acme 1235 and I have to say I'm very impressed. Overall the prop right out of the box looked more refined. Benefits of the new prop were (and very noticeable I might add): improved holeshot, ZERO vibration anywhere in the rpm range, cabin noise significantly reduced, prop wash in the middle of the wake is significantly less and very smooth to ride on (hardly any bubbles/air compared to the OJ), and neutral steering.

I recently got the 1433 to replace my stock OJ. HUGE difference in holeshot. The wife just about pulled my arms out of their sockets last week. Lost a little on the top end, but no biggie. My wake looks cleaner as well.

you da man
10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
during our prop testing weekend, we popped that prop onto an 08 XLV Gravity Games.

Immediate impact - it had the boat going 5 mph faster than the stock OJ

I haven't had my XLV at top speed yet but it's nice to know it will have more speed...as I watch my fuel tank empty. Another benefit was that while surfing yesterday with 3,000lbs of ballast, the boat was smooth, no vibration and didn't struggle to carry the weight. Speed was easy to maintain by hand and the engine maintain 11.5mph consistantly

sandm
10-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I would second what you have to say about that prop. one of the best mods that should come from the factory..

amazing hole shot and ZERO vibration anywhere..

I would have to say the only downside would be that the OJ appeared to be a much "beefier" prop and I would suspect that it would stand up to a hit from an underwater obstacle better.. not enough to get me to change back tho :)

deafgoose
10-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I would second what you have to say about that prop. one of the best mods that should come from the factory..

amazing hole shot and ZERO vibration anywhere..

I would have to say the only downside would be that the OJ appeared to be a much "beefier" prop and I would suspect that it would stand up to a hit from an underwater obstacle better.. not enough to get me to change back tho :)

The thicker build quality of the OJ is its downfall. It does not flex like the Acme so all those vibrations get transferred to the drive-line.

moombadaze
10-04-2010, 04:59 PM
That was the 1st prop we put on my boat during the prop testing weekend. I was completly amazed with it. I could tell at just above idle its was smoother feeling and there was no growl to it when accelerating. If I were to upgrade to a "wakeboard or high elevation prop" this would be it.

saskie99
10-04-2010, 06:13 PM
This winter I will be upgrading to the 1433 prop as when I looked at all the test results this prop seemed to pull the hardest and since we wakeboard and surf (only ski a couple of times are year) I am going to go with this one.

jjolson
10-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I have the 1433 for my LSV and it is awesome!

kaneboats
10-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I would suspect that it would stand up to a hit from an underwater obstacle better.. )

We sustained an underwater rock strike at idle with the boat in neutral. Two of the blades were bent- not severely mind you, but bent all the same. The boat was probably moving around 4-5 mph at the time. In other words, having a "beefier" prop isn't going to make any difference. You will be fixing it if you hit anything. Now maybe it would hold up to a stick or limb strike better but the hull pushes most of that kind of stuff to the side anyway.

sandm
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
I spent $85 for a small bend in my acme after it had been on the boat a month. It was from being in shallow water, some rollers came by and the prop hit a rock at the bottom while docked.. I think the oj MIGHT have stood up to it a little better. was not able to run more than 10mph as it vibrated like crazy. you can see a visual difference in the strength of the oj vs acme.

again, still not enough to put the oj back on. the acme 1235 is the shizznit :)

deafgoose
10-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I noticed that OJ Props has been reading this thread.

Good. They should take notes from ACME!!!

you da man
10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I noticed that OJ Props has been reading this thread.

I wouldn't mind trying one of their Fusion props compared to the stock OJ wakeboard prop to see the performance difference but I wouldn't trade it for the Acme 1235. I'm willing to bet that most Moomba owners who have complained or just noticed vibrations under acceleration or cruising will have that issue solved by switching from the stock OJ prop to an Acme prop

sandm
10-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I would welcome oj reading and responding. I think it is widely known that their props have vibration issues and is documented well here. if they have a new design that cures this, I would think that finding a "volunteer" to test(side by side with the acme 1235) and getting the word out would be a good thing for their sales. oj makes a very comparable prop to the 1235 that if it cured the growl/vibration issues and was an equal match to the acme, then game on..

I know that they have posted in here in the past that their props are much "beefier" than the acme counterparts, but looking at the posts in here, the customers are saying the tradeoffs are not worth it.

you da man
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I would welcome oj reading and responding. I think it is widely known that their props have vibration issues and is documented well here. if they have a new design that cures this, I would think that finding a "volunteer" to test(side by side with the acme 1235) and getting the word out would be a good thing for their sales. oj makes a very comparable prop to the 1235 that if it cured the growl/vibration issues and was an equal match to the acme, then game on..

I know that they have posted in here in the past that their props are much "beefier" than the acme counterparts, but looking at the posts in here, the customers are saying the tradeoffs are not worth it.

The switch for me to the Acme made me feel like my Moomba went from the ride of an economical price point boat to the ride of a luxurious wakeboat

sandm
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
ed, comparing that same size currently on the boat to same size fusion? that would be a better test. I would have been quite impressed going from the oj 13x17 on my boat factory to an oj 14x14(approximations here) and the difference would have been night and day, but there is another difference going from a regular oj 14x14 to an acme 14x14 as documented by the growling and noise.

if that fusion is as quiet as the acme, that info should get out there, as I think most have the same opinion I do that the oj props, while strong, are quite noisy and the acme cleans that up..

ejojprop
10-06-2010, 03:13 PM
The noise issue on the LSV's is due to the 14.25 diameter of either the Fusion or the XMP. When a prop with 14" or less is used the noise is reduced. The OJ PROPS in general do not have a vibration issue, the issue is the LSV hull not liking diameter. I have not had complaints of noise, relative to our props, on other makes or models of boats that run the same or larger diameter props. We run up to 14.75" diameter props on Supra's as well as other builders boats with no issues of vibration.

As I have said here many times before, we tested our props as well as the other guys props at the factory with the Supra/Moomba staff. The results of the test showed the FUSION to perform as well or better than the others. We tested the same sizes mentioned in this thread as well as a few others, and the FUSION came out on top. Testing was done with no ballast and full loads, radar tracking was used to determine acceleration times.

That is all I can add for now. Will be doing some additional testing in the days ahead.

Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller/OJ PROPS

sandm
10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
eric,

thanks for responding. nice to see the manufacturers take a presence on a forum like this :)

I can only really speak for my boat.. on my '06 launch20ssv(ext340 engine), the factory oj 13.7x17.5 prop came on it. it had vibration and noise that started out of the hole and ran up to the 9-10mph range when loaded up for surfing or fully ballasted for boarding. it went away as you eclipsed 10mph and beyond. I swapped on the 1235 this spring and it all went away. it would have been interesting to have tried the fusion of the same approx. size to see if it was more an issue with the size and not the maker, but at this point, all my data points to the prop, not size. similar feedback on here seems to support the same theory, and I believe that there has been feedback on ww to the same?

you da man
10-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I had the vibration and growl with my '08 XLV with the OJ wakeboard prop. This was loaded and unloaded

ejojprop
10-06-2010, 04:20 PM
The 13.7 X 17.5 would cavitate more under load than a larger diameter prop, making a vibration noise/feel. The correct size for the application makes a difference.

ejojprop
10-06-2010, 04:20 PM
You da man - Do you still have the prop?

Razzman
10-06-2010, 04:30 PM
I have the growl as well on my '07 LSV with the wakeboard prop and at times it's extremely aggravating! If i'm in the no wake zone or just cruising slowly it growls away and gets on my nerves something fierce! :mad:

ejojprop
10-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I can cut the diameter down to help reduce the noise.

Razzman
10-06-2010, 04:33 PM
What does that cost us? How does that affect the performance of the prop? IMO this should have been addressed by SC.

you da man
10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
You da man - Do you still have the prop?

Yes sir I do. It's at a prop shop getting one blade touched up after my boat touched bottom at a sandbar while tied up (boat wasn't moving).

ejojprop
10-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Yes sir I do. It's at a prop shop getting one blade touched up after my boat touched bottom at a sandbar while tied up (boat wasn't moving).

Would have like to checked it prior to being repaired.

ejojprop
10-06-2010, 04:49 PM
What does that cost us? How does that affect the performance of the prop? IMO this should have been addressed by SC.

Feel free to give me a call and we can work something out. 800-359-9730

brain_rinse
10-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I can cut the diameter down to help reduce the noise.
RobertJ on this forum had this done but didn't have much if any affect on the noise/vibration. Plus the 1235 is a 14.5" diameter prop, correct? So I don't agree that the size is the issue here.

deafgoose
10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
RobertJ on this forum had this done but didn't have much if any affect on the noise/vibration. Plus the 1235 is a 14.5" diameter prop, correct? So I don't agree that the size is the issue here.

+1

The size of the prop is not the issue at all. My guess is the thickness or pitch.

If OJ made a prop with the exact same specs as the ACME 1235, I wonder how it could compare.

thesack
10-07-2010, 07:47 PM
The reason why you are getting a vibration has to do with the waters ability to move past the hull and prop. For whatever reason the water is unable to move past the prop correctly and is creating tiny air bubbles causing cavitation, which is the vibration that is being caused. The prop is actually being pushed axially.

The reason why changing the size either larger or smaller takes away the vibration is because you changed the characteristics of how the water is passing by the hull and the prop. If Acme or any other prop manufacture had a prop that was identical size, pitch, cup, and weight as the OJ then you would still have the vibration. No matter the manufacturer of the boat or prop this kind of vibration could occur.

I would like to see how the new OJ prop does compare to the 1235.

stretch55
10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
You Da Man, did you have to get trailer bunk shims to fit the 1235 on your XLV? I have 2005 XLV and I contacted acme through email and explained to them my situation and they recomended the 1433. I didn't get a chance to ask why but I am assuming it had to do with clearance issues involving the height ot the trailer bunks.

you da man
10-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Stretch, no clearance issues at all. My stock OJ was a mofo to get off though. I can't tell you how much I love my XLV so much more after the 1235

DOCDRS
10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Stretch, no clearance issues at all. My stock OJ was a mofo to get off though. I can't tell you how much I love my XLV so much more after the 1235

did you try using a little heat on the prop?......a small torch works wonders

you da man
10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
did you try using a little heat on the prop?......a small torch works wonders

No I didn't but if heat were added wouldn't the heat make the prop expand thus making it grip the shaft more? It was a warm day the day I changed it in my storage unit.

DOCDRS
10-11-2010, 09:42 PM
No I didn't but if heat were added wouldn't the heat make the prop expand thus making it grip the shaft more? It was a warm day the day I changed it in my storage unit.

The heat will actually loosen the grip on the shaft by expanding the prop hole.

ejojprop
10-12-2010, 11:27 AM

When the prop is difficult to remove from the shaft it is an indication the propeller was not seated correctly to the taper of the shaft, which can cause vibration from an improper fit.

you da man
10-12-2010, 11:29 AM
When the prop is difficult to remove from the shaft it is an indication the propeller was not seated correctly to the taper of the shaft, which can cause vibration from an improper fit.

It came that way from the factory. I bought my boat new

thesack
10-12-2010, 11:35 AM

That doesn't mean that they prop was seated correctly.

An improper fit vibration would typically be constant through out running speeds. It could possibly go away but unlikely.

ejojprop
10-12-2010, 11:36 AM

Could have been installed that way. The props are water tested at the plant and then put back in the box to ship with the boat. If there is a vibration issue at water test we would get the prop back.

Have seen it and done it myself many times installing a prop. If the tapers do not seat well, a good metal to metal "pop", the prop can vibrate.

you da man
10-12-2010, 12:33 PM
That doesn't mean that they prop was seated correctly.

An improper fit vibration would typically be constant through out running speeds. It could possibly go away but unlikely.

I understand that my prop could have been seated improperly from the factory but that would mean alot of us Moomba owners have improperly seated props based on the same complaints. I'm not saying OJ doesn't make good props but the props selected by Skiers Choice for the Moombas are not the best for optimum performance and smooth operation. I personally would rather see Acme props or maybe the OJ Fusion

ejojprop
10-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I understand that my prop could have been seated improperly from the factory but that would mean alot of us Moomba owners have improperly seated props based on the same complaints. I'm not saying OJ doesn't make good props but the props selected by Skiers Choice for the Moombas are not the best for optimum performance and smooth operation. I personally would rather see Acme props or maybe the OJ Fusion

I understand what you are saying and appreciate your thoughts. The OJ FUSION is the standard prop for both SUPRA and MOOMBA, Skiers Choice made a good choice there. Choice was made after testing all models of props, FUSION proved to be the best.

you da man
10-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Could have been installed that way. The props are water tested at the plant and then put back in the box to ship with the boat. If there is a vibration issue at water test we would get the prop back.

Have seen it and done it myself many times installing a prop. If the tapers do not seat well, a good metal to metal "pop", the prop can vibrate.

I hear what you're saying about the prop being installed by the dealer as the boat arrives or after the sale. However, I don't trust my dealer techs whatsoever for quality work. For example, I negotiated the Gravity Games III ballast into my boat. After the install the pumps would not drain due to the techs (two of them did the install) mounted the aerator pumps way above the waterline

you da man
10-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I understand what you are saying and appreciate your thoughts. The OJ FUSION is the standard prop for both SUPRA and MOOMBA, Skiers Choice made a good choice there. Choice was made after testing all models of props, FUSION proved to be the best.

Is the Fusion factory prop for 2010+ or 2011+?

ejojprop
10-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Is the Fusion factory prop for 2010+ or 2011+?

2010 and 2011

brain_rinse
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM
What are the specs on an OJ Fusion prop on a new LSV? What makes the Fusion perform differently than the previous OJ wakeboard prop?

brain_rinse
10-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Would appreciate your perspective here, Eric.

ejojprop
10-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Would appreciate your perspective here, Eric.

Brain, I have not heard back from Robert regarding his prop mod's. I can say that when I tested a 14.25 X 14 that I cut to 14" the noise issue was reduced on the LSV, not eliminated but reduced. We also found in that same test that the 14 X 14.25 from the other builder made the noise as well. The noise was less noticeable with a 13.7 or 13.5 diameter and more prevalant with 14" up to 14.5" diameter, from either OJ or the others.

The diameter issue seems to be on the LSV only. I am not implying diameter is a problem/concern on any other model.

Razzman
10-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Eric, does cutting the prop from 14.25" to 14" have any noticeable effect on the prop or performance besides the noise issue?

thesack
10-12-2010, 03:12 PM
From a vibration analysis perspective, the prop might not be the actual issue causing the noise/vibration. It is fairly easy to change the prop and see if the vibration/noise chances. So when after chaning the prop if the vibration/noise decreases to an acceptable level you are assuming that it was strictly the prop causing it. When in fact changing of the prop could have just masked the real problem. Without actually mounting a triaxial accelerometer to the strut and taking readings there is no real way to determine the cause of the vibration and what to blame it on.

If what in fact Eric is saying is true, and i have no reason to doubt him, about the audible noise level decreasing, but still being there with changes in his props and the other manufactures, it would lead me to believe that there was/is a design flaw on SC's end and not OJ's.

ejojprop
10-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Eric, does cutting the prop from 14.25" to 14" have any noticeable effect on the prop or performance besides the noise issue?

Not much, I add cupping to keep the RPM down with the smaller diameter.