PDA

View Full Version : My new 2002 Moomba Outback LS

jjfarbs
10-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Could not deal with the outboard anymore - now that the kids are rippin it, I had to get them a real towboat and so I have purchased a 2002 Outback LS that is in pristine condition with 400 hours on it.

I had my heart set on a v as wakeboarding is our primary sport and we do want to surf, but reality and practically told me to jump on this one. I was impressed with the wake when we had it out on the water even with no ballast and just a couple of us, although I didn't get to ride. From where i was coming from, anything looked good.

The boat came with a 450 and 350 fat sac so I am hoping that this will do the trick if we need to amp up the wake, but i think for the time being the kids will be more than happy with the stockwake - we will just get everyone in the boat for the ride.

As an added plus, we can always go back to some old school barefoot and slalom sets for a change.

Please tell me the real truth, I know the boat will be great for skiers and my junior wakeboards and wakeskaters, but will the adults be happy with the wake to ride and surf. How much weight will i actually need in the boat for a decent wake.

Also last, the prop was stainless 13-13.5 I think / is this what I need? I want low end above all.

Thanks for any help or comment.

jjfarbs
10-04-2010, 12:06 AM
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=231992836

deerfield
10-04-2010, 01:06 AM
jj - My money says you are going to be real happy. I have an Outback and use it for skiing, wakeboarding, wake skating, footing, and tubing. Only reason we have not tried surfing is that I don't have the board yet. Your boat's a little heavier so would imagine the stuff that needs wake will be even better than with my boat. Congratulations and post up more pics. - Deerfield

moombahighrider
10-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Congratulations! Welcome to the forum. Your LS looks clean and in great condition. I have an LSV so I am no help when it comes to the wake on your LS, but I know that the guys on here that have them, love them. It sounds like a good crossover boat for all disciplines. The hull shape is decent so with enough ballast, you should be able to have some fun on a surfboard. As far as the prop, I am not sure but that size sounds like more of a higher speed prop, but don't quote me. There is some real knowledge on this forum, I am sure that someone out there can give you some great advice.

deafgoose
10-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Did you pay $24,000 CAD for that boat?

wolfeman131
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
great looking boat! welcome & ask away - somebody will have an answer, or at least an opinion for you.

jamie_abb
10-04-2010, 09:28 AM
She's a beut. For non-pros, that boat will throw a great wake. You can pile on the peeps and buy some people's old 400lb bags and make that wake a monster.

If you go through the forums here, you'll notice everyone will come back to technique over and over again. In the spring I was humbled by some kid doing w2 backrolls behind an old school ski boat. Your boat will be awesome.

Go get a wetsuit, you still have a couple of weeks. Welcome to the forum!

papou
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
congrats on the boat you will love it perfect for all water sports
the 13x13 4 blade is what u want.

kaneboats
10-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Congrats on the boat! Welcome to the family. I used to have an Outback and it would throw more wake than anyone we knew could handle. It also had a very nice ski wake. Run a search on "surf setup for Outback" or something like that and you will see you can surf with it too. I think you'll love it. Enjoy!

kaneboats
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Just did a quick search. The last post in this thread gives you one surf setup and a pic of an Outback surf wake. Good luck.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7628&highlight=Outback+surf+setup&page=4

jjfarbs
10-04-2010, 10:16 PM
deafgoose - give me some credit - that was the asking price!

jjfarbs
10-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Will have to wait for spring to try out our new toy - had the mechanic who inspected the boat winterize it while it was at his place.

Next dilemna - do i need a boat lift and what kind of clearance do I really need at the dock (spec draft says 22 inches i think)? The boat is kept at a cottage in a fairly protected bay with controlled water levels. However, we have a very gently sloping shoreline and to get it out to three foot water I will probably need a twenty foot dock.

Thanks for any insight.

DOCDRS
10-04-2010, 10:39 PM
congrats on the boat, curious , it has virginia boat registration but on a toronto kijiji site........I'm in London, boat on lake muskoka, where are you? used to have an outback and always had it on my lift, so i know a wee bit about them, installed mine 10 years ago

jjfarbs
10-05-2010, 11:06 PM
We are in Stoney Lake in the Kawarthas - yes the boat was originally imported by my vendor from Virginia a few years ago.

I need to work out a dock / lift solution - I am going to have to run out about 20' from shore to get a good 3.5 feet of water which i figure is the minimum. What type of lift do you have? Is the cantilever sufficient?