PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting boat into garage.

spyder
10-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Trying to save $400 by not storing my boat in someone elses garage for the winter.

ok, so the garage is only 20ft deep, so the LSV won't fit in that way. But it is an easy 26-28 ft on the diagonal, so it would fit that way. problem is it's a double garage door, not a single. does anyone have any experience moving a boat into an awkward space?

I was thinking of putting the boat on those wheel dollys under the wheels and a trail dolly to push the boat into the garage.

would you guys think it would work.

DOCDRS
10-03-2010, 02:00 PM
why do you need dolly's , the trailer has wheels.......I guess i don't understand the problem....or is it you have single doors not a double

. problem is it's a double garage door, not a single. does anyone have any experience moving a boat into an awkward space?

spyder
10-03-2010, 02:11 PM
just a really tight fit, since it is two single garage doors compared to one large opening, I cant just navigate it into the corner. i'll show you some pictures.. maybe it will show the opening better.

moombadaze
10-03-2010, 05:32 PM
i think your on the right thinking with the dollys-put them under the rear tires and you would be able to move the boat sideways once its in. not something I would want to do very often but for winter storage that would be about it

DOCDRS
10-03-2010, 07:12 PM
ok got ya, i agree with the dollies once ya get it into the garage, maybe someone else will give ya some ideas

maxpower220
10-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Any interest in removing that support wall between the doors?

Good luck with that project.

DOCDRS
10-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Any interest in removing that support wall between the doors?

Good luck with that project.

Now he has something to spend that 400 on that he's saving
Concrete saw, a huge mf lentle and a custom fab huge mf garage door and he's in business :)

sandm
10-04-2010, 07:06 AM
don't give any ideas. that support wall screams load bearing :)

I think harbor freight used to have the small dollys that lift up car tires so you can move it around. there was a 20% off coupon in our sunday paper in the national ads insert..
might be a start?

BensonWdby
10-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Before doing anythins measure the width of the door. If that is not a 9 foot door (i.e. only 7 or 8 ft) you won't get in the door at all. If it is a 9 ft door you only have about 4 inches per side between the boat guides at the top. I put my boat in through a 9 foot door all the time. The trick is to back it up so that you just barely miss the door on one side, buy less than an inch. It's easier tahn yo think. Once you get the tires through the door you can put the nose jack down and get it off the hitch and move it by hand - unless your driveway is too steep. You wold be surprised how much jockeying around you can do. Well at least that was true with the 99 Mobius. The LSV may be to heavy for that??

jamie_abb
10-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Princess Auto maybe?

Keep us updated

OBV6
10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Spyder before you buy the Harbor Freight dollies make sure they will support the weight. I got some for my SA Boat mate and the dolly wheels literally rolled outward under the weight. They were rated for like 1000lbs per dolly I believe, they are toast now. I was only rolling them a few feet sideways like you want to but over the winter they sagged. A DA trailer might distro the weight better but I wouldn't think much more per axle. I now have a set of the higher dollar jacking roller dollies and the weight appears to be almost too much to raise the SA up and the overall supports look shaky as well. You might have to go high dollar to get something reliable.

MartinCaron
10-04-2010, 03:48 PM
That's quite a challenge...

DOCDRS
10-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Before doing anythins measure the width of the door. If that is not a 9 foot door (i.e. only 7 or 8 ft) you won't get in the door at all. If it is a 9 ft door you only have about 4 inches per side between the boat guides at the top. I put my boat in through a 9 foot door all the time. The trick is to back it up so that you just barely miss the door on one side, buy less than an inch. It's easier tahn yo think. Once you get the tires through the door you can put the nose jack down and get it off the hitch and move it by hand - unless your driveway is too steep. You wold be surprised how much jockeying around you can do. Well at least that was true with the 99 Mobius. The LSV may be to heavy for that??

I hear ya , my 21v is too wide with the trailer to get in 9' doors let alone 7' height......i can get the platform in tho :)

jamie_abb
10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
here's a set that doesn't have the jacking function

http://www.etoolcart.com/merrick-wheel-dolly-set-of-four-m9980.aspx

set of four - $150 but I would be willing to split them

jmvotto
10-04-2010, 10:42 PM
the weight limit with boat and trailer are more than the 3500 these two (1750 each)are rated for. tough spot to get the boat into. good luck

saskyrider
10-05-2010, 10:45 AM
If your just worried about getting it sideways, what about a couple floor jacks on wheels? just get the tires like an inch off the floor with one jack under the axle on either side and scoot it over a bit... it won't take much to get it over enough that you can maneuver it yourself. I did that with my 05 LSV to get it into my in-laws garage (i have great inlaws!!!:p) and i only had to skid it over about 3 feet and we wiggled it around to get it sideways..

Geoff

mmandley
10-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I had the same concerns as you with the boat and garage. As for the idea how to get it in for the winter looks like the others guys got you covered. As for the garage door issue..this is what we did.

When we bough the house it had 2 single doors and knowing i wanted a boat that wasnt going to do. What i did do is some research. The beam over the doors has to be min 12 tall, go across the entire width of the doors and be 6inches thick. This means a its a full load bearing beam and the center section between the 2 doors is purely decorative.

Call a garage door company out they will inspect it and tell you for free, course you tell them you want an estimate for a custom garage door and they always come measure it all for free LOL.

So after this i ordered a full custom made door to fit my garage. 2200 bucks. They will charge you the price of the door standard size larger then you need and cut it down for another fee. Nothing like double paying huh lol.

Then i took a saw zaw and a rope tied to my truck and cut and pulled the center section out.

Garage people came in installed my new door and single garage door opener and when all fixed.

Here is a pic of my original set up then a pic last year right after we got our boat. Those who know my boat will notice how striped and factory it looks LOL.

spyder
10-05-2010, 08:39 PM

I believe it's actually 9ft wide x 10 ft high, need to measure.

spyder
10-05-2010, 08:43 PM
also, i already own wheel dollys for a car, i am just afraid of the weight.

I picked up a trailer dolly from Canadian Tire today to navigate the trailer in. it was $79, if anyone was interested.

viking
10-05-2010, 09:45 PM
what's a trailer dolly look like?

spyder
10-05-2010, 09:49 PM
what's a trailer dolly look like?

pic attached.

walk8290
10-05-2010, 11:04 PM
If your just worried about getting it sideways, what about a couple floor jacks on wheels? just get the tires like an inch off the floor with one jack under the axle on either side and scoot it over a bit... it won't take much to get it over enough that you can maneuver it yourself. I did that with my 05 LSV to get it into my in-laws garage (i have great inlaws!!!:p) and i only had to skid it over about 3 feet and we wiggled it around to get it sideways..

Geoff

Saskyrider is right - two floor jacks - jack up each side and move where you want.

Walk

spyder
10-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Saskyrider is right - two floor jacks - jack up each side and move where you want.

Walk

I would think jacks would have more lift capacity than the wheel dollys, i would just be afraid of tipping the jack.

DOCDRS
10-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I had the same concerns as you with the boat and garage. As for the idea how to get it in for the winter looks like the others guys got you covered. As for the garage door issue..this is what we did.

When we bough the house it had 2 single doors and knowing i wanted a boat that wasnt going to do. What i did do is some research. The beam over the doors has to be min 12 tall, go across the entire width of the doors and be 6inches thick. This means a its a full load bearing beam and the center section between the 2 doors is purely decorative.

Call a garage door company out they will inspect it and tell you for free, course you tell them you want an estimate for a custom garage door and they always come measure it all for free LOL.

So after this i ordered a full custom made door to fit my garage. 2200 bucks. They will charge you the price of the door standard size larger then you need and cut it down for another fee. Nothing like double paying huh lol.

Then i took a saw zaw and a rope tied to my truck and cut and pulled the center section out.

Garage people came in installed my new door and single garage door opener and when all fixed.

Here is a pic of my original set up then a pic last year right after we got our boat. Those who know my boat will notice how striped and factory it looks LOL.

how do you fit it in ? take the wheels off? does not look like you have enouth height clearance on the tower front pivot point....or do you remove the tower?

mmandley
10-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Nope all i do is drop my tower and back it straight in. I only have to remove the mirror so it doesn't hit the door seal, but even then it clears just makes the misses nervous LOL.

kaneboats
10-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I rotate my mirror upside down and it just rubs the vinyl door seal. Don't have to remove it.

mmandley
10-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I rotate my mirror upside down and it just rubs the vinyl door seal. Don't have to remove it.

Same here bro but Claudia still freaks out so i just save myself the hassle and remove it LOL.

kaneboats
10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Well I forgot to rotate yesterday and cracked it into several pieces. Maybe I should have been taking it off too. This was after another incident earlier in the day where one of the kids opened the rear locker cover just as I was getting ready to pull out. Busted the garage door and munched up the locker door.

viking
10-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Well I forgot to rotate yesterday and cracked it into several pieces. Maybe I should have been taking it off too. This was after another incident earlier in the day where one of the kids opened the rear locker cover just as I was getting ready to pull out. Busted the garage door and munched up the locker door.

OH NO! Ouch :(

wolfeman131
10-10-2010, 11:16 PM
dang kane, that stinks.

moombadaze
10-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Welcome to the club--Left the engine hatch up one time and pulled the boat out---damage's-garage door bent up, engine cover bent up so bad that when I did put it down it curled up about 6" in the front.

Really wish you werent part of this club-no glory in it. hope you can get it all fixed back up.

So what prop did you end up with and how did it run? vibration?

zegm
10-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Kaneboats,

PM me your home address so I can send you a rabbits foot! You have the worst luck!
Hope you get everything fixed without having to spend too much money.

kaneboats
10-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I am going to see about ordering just the panel. Luckily I felt something wasn't right and I stopped. So the locker door is munched up but I think I can save the hardware off it and the cover. Just need the panel itself. The garage door repair was $450. Only had to replace the bottom panel of the garage door and get a bunch of new bogey wheels -- everything else straightened out OK.

mmandley
10-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Dont feel to bad Kane same thing happened to me a couple month ago. I was working in the boat and left the engine bay cover open. Didnt do my second trip around double checking it all.

Jumped in the truck and idled out with the boat. Herd a huge crash and looked back only to see my garage door hanging down almost inside the boat.

I had punched a hole in the engine cover material and bent the door slightly. The garage door sprung and poped out of track and un raveled the cables on both sides.

I got the boat out, was able to fix the garage door myself.

Now i have a small tear the size of your thumb and going to get it fixed for 100 from the upholstery guy AWS uses.

Sucks man just sucks

New Guy
10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Wow here I felt like a complete moron when the same thing happened to me. Apparently it is more common then I thought. :(

kaneboats
10-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I seem to have different people helping every time out and twin boys who are 10 that are getting more useful. I'm tired of doing everything myself every time. But, the tradeoff is that I have to be twice as vigilant. Hard to do some weekend mornings.

spyder
10-20-2010, 11:45 AM
well i got it in, and the garage door closed..

broke 3 wheel dollys getting it in and by breaking i mean the wheels shot off across the room...and its still not where I exactly want it.. but its in for the winter..

found some heavy duty dollys on Summit Racing website.

they will handle about ~2500lbs a Dolly.. the ones i used were only ~1000-1250lbs a dolly.

kaneboats
10-21-2010, 10:49 AM
It's in there. That's the good part. Word of advice: Be careful getting it out!

spyder
10-21-2010, 10:58 AM
It's in there. That's the good part. Word of advice: Be careful getting it out!

still need to move it out of the way, once i get my new dollys

fastlx
10-23-2010, 05:15 PM
I use 4 of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-ton-hydraulic-wheel-dollies-set-of-two.html

They work like a charm!! Makes getting the boat in the garage a snap, maybe 5 minutes. They support the weight just fine and are very easy to use. They are not cheap, but one months of rent and you own them. I like having my boat at home rather than somewhere else. Hope this helps.

DOCDRS
10-23-2010, 05:44 PM
why not use 2 of these , looks like you have a single axel trailer, jack up trailer,support it with the jack stands, then slip a floor jack under each tire, lift a bit ,remove jack stands , and then you can move the boat....wait for them to go on sale, try princess auto as well, or costco
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/CreepersJacksStands/PRD~0091055P/Certified%252B3-Ton%252BJack%252BKit.jsp?locale=en

BensonWdby
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
So I am guessing your boat with trailer 3800 - 4000 lb?
Split that up 3 ways and I would think 3 x 1500 lb tounge jacks, one behind each wheel and one in the front (replacing your existing jack) would probably do the trick.

http://www.easternmarine.com/FULTON-1500-lb-Capacity-Dual-Wheel-Marine-Trailer-Tongue-Jack-XPD15L/

Personally I know nothing about the actually capabilities of these things so use at your own risk. But the nice part of these is that they are permanently attached to your trailer. Just flip down and crank. And they can be used anywhere... not just where you happen to have all the other jacks and dolleys.

spyder
10-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I use 4 of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-ton-hydraulic-wheel-dollies-set-of-two.html

They work like a charm!! Makes getting the boat in the garage a snap, maybe 5 minutes. They support the weight just fine and are very easy to use. They are not cheap, but one months of rent and you own them. I like having my boat at home rather than somewhere else. Hope this helps.

4 would probably work if you have tandem.. but I only have one set of wheels.. don't think the 3000lbs max would do it..

eseebeck
10-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I use dollies to move a tandem axel bennington deck boat, (not a pontoon). It works like a champ. I can push the big tank back into the garage, turn it sideways and tuck it up nice and close to the wall. It is quite easy, just takes time to get it on the dollies.

the benni... isn't mine, I'm a through and through MOOMBA owner.