PDA

View Full Version : Water pump is this normal

papou
10-03-2010, 10:21 AM
is it normal for the water impeller to keep it`s shape after removed from pump this is my second one this year i have different temp reading at different rpm`s on idle the temp would go past 180 my thermostat is a 160
my first impeller lasted 30 hours all fins were there it looked a little worse would not pump water no more the one in the pic has 40 hours and it would no longer pump on idle.

strainer,trans cooler ,hoses are all clear and clean.

Thanks

lewisb13
10-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Perfectly normal. My boat runs at 175ish at all times, unless Im on the throttle and realllllllly circulating a lot of water. Not sure why yours isnt pumping, did a new impeller fix the problem? I dont feel like you are having impeller issues. Maybe the thermostat is stuck?

papou
10-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Perfectly normal. My boat runs at 175ish at all times, unless Im on the throttle and realllllllly circulating a lot of water. Not sure why yours isnt pumping, did a new impeller fix the problem? I dont feel like you are having impeller issues. Maybe the thermostat is stuck?

at first i changed the thermostat it did`t fix the problem it still overheated i pulled out the impeller and i was worse then the pic put a new one problem solved 40 hours later this one won`t pump on idle.

deafgoose
10-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Damn. I maintain 160 degrees all the time and I just finished my 3rd season on the original impeller.

I guess it depends on the water quality. Our river is mostly rocks so there is no sand that would damage the impeller.

DOCDRS
10-03-2010, 12:42 PM
I noticed it a volvo penta impeller........try a johnson 812b impeller...maybe they are a higher quality?

papou
10-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I noticed it a volvo penta impeller........try a johnson 812b impeller...maybe they are a higher quality?

my first one was a johnson 812 i tried the volvo thinking it might be a better quality

DOCDRS
10-03-2010, 09:25 PM
check all clamps, re tape your strainer fittings, empty the strainer and see how quick it fills up when you start it up. Maybe you are sucking air but once under way the scoop forces water into the engine

papou
10-03-2010, 10:49 PM
check all clamps, re tape your strainer fittings, empty the strainer and see how quick it fills up when you start it up. Maybe you are sucking air but once under way the scoop forces water into the engine

That`s probably my next step i`ll have to wait till spring

thanks

papou
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Well i could`t wait for spring so i put the boat back in the water to solve this problem i installed my old J 812 checked all my clamps ,strainer all is good
started engine on idle the strainer filled in 3 seconds so i went for a ride and after 10 minutes on idle in gear it started to over heat i loosen the hose at the trans cooler an the was plenty of water being pumped at this point it`s in limp mode i decided to change the thermostat again this time a 140 went in just a try my temp gauge still went to 180 and within 10 it was overheating at this point a gave up took it out and re winterized it.

This spring i`ll take a trip to the dealer.

if anyone has any ideas great i`ll try any thing at this point

squeeg333
10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
It sure sounds to me like there is an obstruction somewhere in the cooling system. I guess I don't know where it could be, but it's got to be somewhere. You've got a strainer, so it seems weird that you'd get anything large enough in the engine to make it overheat.
I'm baffled, though, I'm not the most knowledgeable about these bad boys as I wish I were!

DOCDRS
10-06-2010, 10:23 PM
maybe its your circulating pump ......try taking your thermostat right out and running it without one...if it still overheats then maybe thats the cause.......not to be cute but make sure your thermostat is not upside down . by no means an expert here just .02

papou
10-08-2010, 12:36 PM
maybe its your circulating pump ......try taking your thermostat right out and running it without one...if it still overheats then maybe thats the cause.......not to be cute but make sure your thermostat is not upside down . by no means an expert here just .02

I thought about the thermostat it does`t fit upside down in the housing.
I removed the belt and spun the circulation pump by hand i could here it sloshing in the water so i figured it was good the only thing i could come up with is the impeller pump housing on the cover & the side in the pump has groves that form a circle do you think this could cause it to loose suction
i`m going to Sherbrook Qc Saturday i`m going to stop at the dealer while passing bye.

Thanks

DOCDRS
10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
what engine do you have?

zegm
10-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Just a thought, the complete system you are looking at also includes the gauge. Fluke used to sell some Multimeters that had the capability to use a K type thermalcouple. I guess my point here is to verify that the gauge is indeed reading correct before spending too much money on water pump parts. I think I spent less than 100 dollars for the meter and thermalcouple but that was a few years back. You might have mentioned it but did you check the inlet hose before the transmission cooler? There is a small screen there also.

papou
10-11-2010, 07:17 PM
what engine do you have?

Engine is a 325 TBI

The dealer most suspected a leak from pump to inlet maybe the seal on back of pump even if it does`t leak water it can pull air in, if that all checks out good it could also be a HEAD GASKET engine does`t miss,sputter,no water in oil so i find the head gasket hard to believe.

DOCDRS
10-11-2010, 07:31 PM
If you loosen the j hose on top of the tstat housing and there is water coming out of the housing then you have a good supply. If you take your tstat right out and it over heats then i'm betting that its your circulating pump....but then I don't always win every bet.......02 sounds like you are getting water its just not being circulated thru the engine

papou
10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
i don`t now what to think any more, i did not try running without a stat
for the circulation pump when i turn it by hand i could here it sloshing in the water (it should be good) unless when there is resistance the pump wont turn.

jester
10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
You might have a clog in the line. When you are not moving the pump does not have enough power to pull water but when you are moving water is being forced in.

cham
10-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Don't our engines have two water pumps? The one that pulls from the water and delivers to the engine and the one that actually circulates it through the engine (standard chevy 350 water pump).

Have you tried to hook up a fresh water line with it out of the water to see if water is coming out of your exhaust?

cab13367
10-18-2010, 02:37 PM
is it normal for the water impeller to keep it`s shape after removed from pump

Just commenting on your photo of the impeller with the curved vanes. I just pulled my impeller and all the vanes immediately straightened out and looks like new - none of them are curved. So I think the fact that yours are permanently cuved means that it is not drawing enough water thru your intake.

I just completed my second season on this impeller. At the end of the season, I always take it out, coat it with vaseline, and put in a ziplock bag over the winter per the owner's manual so I think that helps keep it flexible and the vanes straight.

I also never ever start my boat unless it's in the water or I have the fake a lake attached.

DOCDRS
10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
i don`t now what to think any more, i did not try running without a stat
for the circulation pump when i turn it by hand i could here it sloshing in the water (it should be good) unless when there is resistance the pump wont turn.

the veins on the pump could be broken or bad/bent and you would still hear sloshing........the other culprit could be a blown head gasket.....check your spark plugs and look and see if one looks more white in colour or like a new plug as it is getting very hot....plus you would have white smoke from your exhaust or water in your oil....if these are all ok then i'm sticking with the water pump

papou
10-18-2010, 02:59 PM
All plugs are good no water in oil no smoke ,I`m with you on the pump the boat`s i hibernation so it will have to wait til spring i will keep you posted.

Thanks DOC

papou
04-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Today i removed the circulation pump and by looking at it i can't see anything abnormal is it possible for it to suck air from the two small holes from the front of the pump .

i should just get a new one

thanks

spoon03
04-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Maybe your gauge is bad and not reading correctly. Just a thought. Try to find a good gauge and run it and see if it overheats.

mmandley
04-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I remembering reading this last year, and now i reread it all again to get a fresh over view.

What concerns me is you say when you install a new Impeller that it runs fine for 40 hours. Well that alone tells me the engine is perfect. If the engine had a defect the wouldn't matter how the impeller performed new or old it would fail.

Also i feel the same about your gauge, if it was the problem then it would not read consistent then after 40 hours of impeller use read Hot.

Im leaning towards the impeller housing, pump that the impeller sits in. The impeller does 2 jobs actually. It sucks in lake water and then feeds it to the engines water pump that in return cools the engine. My thought is replace the impeller pump because its not allowing the impeller to cool its self when pumping that water, then the impeller is burning and the rubber reforms and this creates a lot less suction of water and that creates your overheating problem.

If the engine had a blockage of some sort small or large it wouldn't over heat at idle unless it was a Huge blockage, remember these engines are open cooling and constantly pumping cold water off the lake so the blockage would have to be pretty large to allow it to over heat at idle.

Pulling any downstream line to see if there is flow is fine, but to try and look at it then deside if it looks right is not going to work, the engine water pump is pumping some like 60 gallons a minute.

This is off a site about cooling systems pretty impressive.

The amount of engine heat that must be removed by the cooling system is much greater than is generally realized. To handle this heat load, it may be necessary for the cooling system in some engines to circulate 4,000 to 10,000 gallons of coolant per hour. The water passages, the size of the pump and radiator, and other details are designed as to maintain the working parts of the engine at the most efficient temperature within the limitation imposed by the coolant

My diesel is pumping 74 to 90 gallons a minutes.

In closing id be looking long and hard at the impeller housing as the culprit.

papou
04-24-2011, 08:12 PM
mmandle

is it possible to see the difference between my water pump and a pic of a new one (because i don`t see any thing unusual accept for rub marks on the back and the cover ,i will try to get a pic of it during the week.

thanks