PDA

View Full Version : Steering vibration (I found the problem) *pic*

deafgoose
10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I get steering vibration for a very short period of time with all my ballast filled and pulling up a wakeboarder. The vibration only lasts for a few seconds.

It mostly occurs when the steering is not straight ahead - if I have the steering partially left or right when I hit the throttle, there is much more vibration than when I happen to get it straight ahead at throttle up.

When the boat is not heavily weighted, it doesn't happen at all.

I noticed the steering cable clamp block was loose and the sound I am hearing is exactly the same when I "jiggle" the clamp block. All 4 bolts are tight but there is lots of play inside the block.

deafgoose
10-02-2010, 08:33 PM
I am going to stick a teflon washer into the socket where the ball rests to take up the slack. That should solve my problem. I will update this thread tomorrow. :)

you da man
10-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Do you think it could actually just be the OJ prop? Lots of us on the forum have complained about vibrations at low rpm and/or while loaded on acceleration. I switched from the OJ wakeboard prop (same one you have) to the Acme 1235 the other week and no vibration whatsoever. In addition, within litterally a couple minutes on the water with the new prop my girfriend commented that the ride was completely smooth (no vibration as a rear seat passenger) and the cabin/engine noise was signficantly reduced. As the driver, I noticed no more vibration on acceleration (even loaded for surfing), much lower cabin noise, more neutral steering in both directions, and the ease and speed at which the boat plained. Another thing, my girlfriend has only be driving my boat for about 3 months and when she pulled me for the first time with the Acme prop she started pointing out the improvements (not bad for someone with very little boat experience). The Acme 1235 is an incredible prop from the OJ wakeboard prop.

deafgoose
10-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Do you think it could actually just be the OJ prop? Lots of us on the forum have complained about vibrations at low rpm and/or while loaded on acceleration. I switched from the OJ wakeboard prop (same one you have) to the Acme 1235 the other week and no vibration whatsoever. In addition, within litterally a couple minutes on the water with the new prop my girfriend commented that the ride was completely smooth (no vibration as a rear seat passenger) and the cabin/engine noise was signficantly reduced. As the driver, I noticed no more vibration on acceleration (even loaded for surfing), much lower cabin noise, more neutral steering in both directions, and the ease and speed at which the boat plained. Another thing, my girlfriend has only be driving my boat for about 3 months and when she pulled me for the first time with the Acme prop she started pointing out the improvements (not bad for someone with very little boat experience). The Acme 1235 is an incredible prop from the OJ wakeboard prop.

Right now the stock prop is on and I know the difference so I can confidently say, its nothing like the vibration from the OJ 14.25x14 prop.

This is much more of a violent rattle in the steering. It started a few months ago but got worse over time. I am confident its caused by the steering cable clamp block so I will see if the teflon washer fixes my problem tomorrow.

kaneboats
10-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Any news on this yet?

deafgoose
10-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Any news on this yet?

I went to my local hardware store and asked for teflon washers and they looked at me like a deer in headlights. lol

I will need to get some from a home depot so I havent had the chance to fix it yet.

Somebody on the Supra Forums posted the same problem:

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7744

papou
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
deafgoose i went to the cottage today to trouble shoot my impeller problem while i had my engine cover off rear section of the floor seat & ballast tank and cover over the gas tank i had complete access to the steering system it was time to check my vibration just like you have, the block with the four bolts moves a little but not enough to cause vibes in the steering.( my block is very loose to ) placing my hand on the top of the rudder it was obvious the vibes came from there.

I guess is a prop thing or i have a loose rudder

kaneboats
10-06-2010, 09:16 AM
The wash from different propellers can completely change the feel of the steering.

04OUTBACK
10-07-2010, 08:16 PM
have the same issue. ONLY when pulling up a rider with extra weight. Hard vibration comes all the way up the steering wheel..

I think there also may be a sleeve inside the rudder shaft. wanna get fixed before next summer!

DOCDRS
10-10-2010, 12:54 AM
I just checked my 09 today and my block has play in it as well. it is only vertical play. Perhaps this is the way they are being on a ball . There is no lateral play tho.

jsly04XLV
11-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Any update on this fix?

Jet
11-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Another Vibration to make note of is that when sacked out for surfing you can get prop cavataion or a air bubble around the prop. You will notice becuase the engine rpm will make a lil jump 100 or 200 rpm's, but it also sends that vibration right up the steering cable and will rattle the steering wheel. I have noticed this on the 24ssv's.