PDA

View Full Version : Keeping boat from freezing.

walb0244
10-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Hey guys. I know there are guys on here that boat up till the temperture gets down pretty cold and all. I got a drysuit and stuff so I am starting to get where I can go longer and longer. But my question is when the temp at night is dropping down into the freezing range how are you guys keeping the boat motor from cracking? Or does everyone stop once that happens? Was just wondering. Right now the temp during the day has been aroudn the mid to upper 50s on some days. Not sure the temp at night. I want to keep boating but don't want to crack the block on my boat.

jmvotto
10-01-2010, 08:07 AM
her's a thread, peopl use work lights and blankets over the engine.

Not sure its cold enough yet at night or during the day. I f you boat is on the lake , the lake water will keep it warm enough not to freeze until late nov, dec.

water bottle trick is usually a good test.that will freez before your block

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9427&highlight=freezing

Canuckle Head
10-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey guys. I know there are guys on here that boat up till the temperture gets down pretty cold and all. I got a drysuit and stuff so I am starting to get where I can go longer and longer. But my question is when the temp at night is dropping down into the freezing range how are you guys keeping the boat motor from cracking? Or does everyone stop once that happens? Was just wondering. Right now the temp during the day has been aroudn the mid to upper 50s on some days. Not sure the temp at night. I want to keep boating but don't want to crack the block on my boat.

I have a small ceramic heater that I throw in the back locker and it keeps the boat nice and warm. It also stops the mildew from forming on my upholstery.

MartinCaron
10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
with a 100 watts in the bottom of engine compartment you can't be wrong

kaneboats
10-02-2010, 02:51 AM
For those of you who understand physics and the difference between heat and temperature I have wondered what filling ballast with hot water would do overnight on cold nights before winterizing. I would think the heat in the large quantities would warm the boat overnight. Thoughts anyone?

walb0244
10-02-2010, 05:53 PM
So a 60w light bulb puts off enough heat to keep the motor warm and not freezing up on me? My boat is kept out in the garage right now. Will try and move it to a shop soon so that the wind won't be as much of a factor. I figure wind chill might not help any.

badasshybrid
10-02-2010, 08:49 PM
So a 60w light bulb puts off enough heat to keep the motor warm and not freezing up on me? My boat is kept out in the garage right now. Will try and move it to a shop soon so that the wind won't be as much of a factor. I figure wind chill might not help any.

After boating when you get home drain the water out of the block. Get you one of the shields from Lowes and put you a 100 watt bulb in it. Last winter I drained the water from the block and had 2 fixtures with 2 100 watt bulbs in them and clamped them to the engine mounts and closed the engine compartment, got down in the 20 in the shop for a while. I checked the temp in there everyday and it stayed above 35 in the engine compartment. Engine was fine all winter. So yours will be fine till you winterize your boat.

It would have to be below 32 for a couple days to hurt anything. I wouldnt want to push it that close though.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=203213-1373-FL-300NPDQ12&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3122291&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/017398/017398346009lg.jpg

wolfeman131
10-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Interesting thought to use hot water. JV will need to check my math, but according to answers.com, a gallon of water weighs about 8.35 lbs, so a 750 lb sac would hold about 90 gallons. I think that would be a lot of H2O to heat and pay for if you're on county or city water in comparison to having a 100 watt bulb in the engine compartment.

jmvotto
10-03-2010, 07:14 AM
Interesting thought to use hot water. JV will need to check my math, but according to answers.com, a gallon of water weighs about 8.35 lbs, so a 750 lb sac would hold about 90 gallons. I think that would be a lot of H2O to heat and pay for if you're on county or city water in comparison to having a 100 watt bulb in the engine compartment.

wasn't me on the hot water suggestion;)

lewisb13
10-03-2010, 10:39 AM
I mean, I would be a little scared introducing an ignition source in the engine compartment 100% of the time like that. Just sayin.

mustangairchair
10-03-2010, 04:31 PM
the quickest way is to install a quick flush kit, undo you hose between your manifolds take your hose off your shower. remove shower head install that hose into your quick flush turn on pump start motor and pump the antifreeze in , all done for winter. i live in canada it gets to minus 40 here your light would not work here

kaneboats
10-04-2010, 11:19 AM

Wind chill is a perceived factor. Wind won't change block temp. Still better to keep it inside to contain heat though.

cab13367
10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
water bottle trick is usually a good test.that will freez before your block

I have one of those electronic clocks that displays outside temp using a remote sensor. Mine came with two sensors and you can toggle back and forth at the display unit between the two so my first year in Oregon, I put the second sensor in the engine compartment. So I could easily check what the temp was in there by toggling to sensor 2. It also records max high and low temp for each sensor. I winterized the boat but just did that out of curiousity. Worked great!

walb0244
10-04-2010, 07:58 PM
I have one of those electronic clocks that displays outside temp using a remote sensor. Mine came with two sensors and you can toggle back and forth at the display unit between the two so my first year in Oregon, I put the second sensor in the engine compartment. So I could easily check what the temp was in there by toggling to sensor 2. It also records max high and low temp for each sensor. I winterized the boat but just did that out of curiousity. Worked great!

That is pretty cool. Might have to check into something like that just for an idea of how cold it gets in the compartment.

the quickest way is to install a quick flush kit, undo you hose between your manifolds take your hose off your shower. remove shower head install that hose into your quick flush turn on pump start motor and pump the antifreeze in , all done for winter. i live in canada it gets to minus 40 here your light would not work here

Can anyone describe this alittle better to me? Also, I don't have a shower on my boat. Does that change things?

lsvboombox
10-14-2010, 09:36 AM
I was just looking on west marine and found these:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_434692_-1?CID=cj&srccode=cii_11138&cpncode=25-2190164-2

Not cheap but would definitely get you deep into the cold months

viking
10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Why not Drain your block after use if you still ride every now and then in the winter months? That's free and takes about 10min. If not - winterize and into it for less than $100 imo.