PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating Guide Posts?

james yarosz
09-30-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a 2003 LS with the single axle trailer. When driving at highway speeds the guide poles shake back and forth a couple inches at the top.Earlier this year I saw the welds where the posts go through the steps and below at the frame were cracked 3/4 of the way around.I had everything re welded and just took a 1500 mile drive.They still shake.Anyone else have this prodlem and were you able to solve it?I feel after awhile the welds will rebreak.

Hoopskier
10-01-2010, 03:23 AM
I have the same issue you have. I did contact Boatmate about the issue. Due to excessive time laps, nothing would be done under warrenty which even I knew was clearly expired. They did say to me that the weld on the step was a poor design, common to crack. They did not say anything about the design, where it mounts to the frame rail. I rewelded mine once, to the frame rail, didnt worry about the step/fender to avoid any refinishing. Yep they still vibrate some but less than before. For me I just don't worry to much since my drive to the lake is very short, 2 mile @ 40 mph. I also suspect that if I did more long distance traveling my welds would break again.

The only two options that I saw were,#1 to add more material/strenghth to were the post mounts to the frame to better absorb reduce vibrations such as an L shaped bracket. Option 2 is to reduce the mass of the posts (meaning-shorten them), less mass, less vibration. But I don't feel the option 2 is the better.

I know that the newer trailers, I believe '09 Boatmate made the guides removeable via some quick release pins and eliminated the fender weld. I think the intention was to make the trailer fit in smaller areas w/o the guide poles but tyou could also remove them for long trips, eliminating the vibration concern.

viking
10-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I know that the newer trailers, I believe '09 Boatmate made the guides removeable via some quick release pins and eliminated the fender weld. I think the intention was to make the trailer fit in smaller areas w/o the guide poles but tyou could also remove them for long trips, eliminating the vibration concern.

mine are removable on the 07 boatmate but I NEVER remove them for trips and i tow alot.