im wondering what kind of ballast to use for our 03' moomba outback ls

in our back compartment it says the max capacity is 250 lbs but im sure it
can hold a lot more than that with a little retouch'

i was thinking about buying 6-12 50 lb water softener bags of salt
but my dad thinks we should just get bags of sand. any ideas? water
ballast doesn't fit in our boat ):

brain_rinse
09-30-2010, 11:11 PM
what are the dimensions of the space you are trying to fill?

Hoopskier
10-01-2010, 03:41 AM
im wondering what kind of ballast to use for our 03' moomba outback ls

in our back compartment it says the max capacity is 250 lbs but im sure it
can hold a lot more than that with a little retouch'

i was thinking about buying 6-12 50 lb water softener bags of salt
but my dad thinks we should just get bags of sand. any ideas? water
ballast doesn't fit in our boat ):

I don't have an LS just a base outback, but the reason for the weight limitation is the fuel tank is under the floor of the rear compartment/trunk. Just so you don't crush your gas tank.

I had also read that most solid ballast (sand, salt, lead, concrete, ect.) major problem is that even under water those items still have negative boyancy. Meaning that if you accidentaly swamp the boat and it fills with lake water, your boat will continue to the bottom.

Also the anoyance of continously carring all the extra ballast, taking up space, extra weight on trailer.

Water ballast is fairly neutral, in a water filled environment, meaning that a water ballast bag will not sink to the bottom, or at least as fast like a rock.

I'm sure others on here can help you out with a water ballast design that would fit your boat, unless you have your heart set on solid ballast.

Sorry if I didnt help much concerning your original post, sure others will chime in.

Personally I maybe would do sand over salt, I just wouldn't want the salt to leak, maybe mix with bilge water, now having salt water splashing all over my bilge. Saltwater, the enemy of metal, creating corrosion. Sand, just dirty.

FamilyMatters
10-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I picked up a Sumo Sac (Ruc-Sac) that fits the space like a glove. It holds 300 lbs and just fits when full. Helps the wake and I just fill with the sumo pump in about a minute. Assuming the space is about the same as my 09 outback.

Darren

you da man
10-01-2010, 03:35 PM
If you're gonna do it. Look at Pop Bags, they use steel shot. The bags are very heavy duty and are 40lbs each with handles on them. I have 400lbs of them but I don't use them very often. I only use them when I know I'll be surfing and it's just me and my girl on the boat. We both are goofy footed so we need alot more weight on the goofy side to get a long tall wave.

you da man
10-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I know the obvious with using solid ballast but I also have an XLV which 400lbs of solid ballast is nothing to worry about and is not a hassle compared to filling extra sacs and having them in the way (to me anyways). I already have 1100's in the rear, 1180 center, and two extra 400's to play with. Not many of us XLV owners active on here and even fewer willing to try and slam them for large surf wakes. It's a big boat that needs weight to have a clean shaped big wake to surf. I wouldn't do sand due to the mess.