PDA

View Full Version : raw water strainer

nibots
09-28-2010, 07:00 PM
I installed a raw water strainer this summer. I have a 2003 Outback LSV and because of clearances the only way I could fit it in was to install it upside down directly behind the water pick up. It seems to work fine but since it is upside down it does not fill the bowl all the way up. I have watched it with the boat running and there is good water flow and the water temp. has not and does not change. It looks like the only place I could get it in right side up would b to install it between the v drive and the transmission cooler. Anybody see any problems with this set up? Thanks.

Mikey
09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm not 100% sure but i don't think it would matter too much as the whole idea is the water passes through the screen in the filter and picks up the crud ,weeds etc, so positioning i don't believe is critical .

DOCDRS
09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
this post will show you how they are mounted from the factory http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/docdrs/tranny%20vdrive/vdriveextraction2.jpg

cab13367
09-29-2010, 12:18 AM
I installed a raw water strainer this summer. I have a 2003 Outback LSV and because of clearances the only way I could fit it in was to install it upside down directly behind the water pick up. It seems to work fine but since it is upside down it does not fill the bowl all the way up. I have watched it with the boat running and there is good water flow and the water temp. has not and does not change. It looks like the only place I could get it in right side up would b to install it between the v drive and the transmission cooler. Anybody see any problems with this set up? Thanks.

I would think that you would want to install it between the intake and the v drive, otherwise, the un-strained water is entering your v-drive. I would leave it where it is, even if it is upside down.

JesseC
09-29-2010, 12:42 AM
I had the same problem that you did with my 02 LSV. There is just not enough room in our model of the LSV to put it before the V-Drive and have it mounted right side up. I mounted mine after the V-Drive and before the trans cooler. I figured that the path in the V-Drive would be large enough to pass the crud through to the strainer and catch it there. I pull the plate on the V-Drive at the end of the season to get the last bit of water out and check for debris that made it in there. So far I have not found anything in there!!! Been running on this configuration for about three years now.

mcdye
09-29-2010, 07:58 AM
I put one on my '02 OB LSV here is the link to mine and pictures. It does not hurt to adjust the fitting on the VDrive if needed. I would recommend placing it between the intake and the vdrive.

Once in palce you should verify the cleanness of the metal strainer in the transmission heat exchanger. On my '02 it was after the vdrive before the fresh water pump, on my '10 Mobius it is after the fresh water pump.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7597&highlight=strainer

JesseC
09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I put one on my '02 OB LSV here is the link to mine and pictures. It does not hurt to adjust the fitting on the VDrive if needed. I would recommend placing it between the intake and the vdrive.

Once in palce you should verify the cleanness of the metal strainer in the transmission heat exchanger. On my '02 it was after the vdrive before the fresh water pump, on my '10 Mobius it is after the fresh water pump.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7597&highlight=strainer

I could not put mine in the location that you did. All of my Ballast lines run right through the middle of where you mounted yours and I could not get around them. Even if I did, I would not have been able to unscrew the bowl and get it in and out to clean it. The install looks really good!!

lsvboombox
10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
whats the best after market water strainer to use? I have a 2010 LSV and while winterizing it I dont recall coming across water stariner.. Should I have or are they not standard?

deerfield
10-16-2010, 10:11 PM
lsv - I took a look at the '09 LSV owner manual. Page 60 states that the engine water strainer is optional and recommended "for boats that are going to be operated in weedy conditions or other areas where debris could clog the engine." With respect to location, it states that it is " between the water intake on the bottom of the boat and the engine's raw water pump." So, I suspect if you have one it will be obvious. Hopefully someone with an LSV will chime in here if there is more you need to know. Might be a good winter project for you. - Deerfield

viking
10-16-2010, 10:45 PM
LSV............search is your friend:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10670&highlight=water+strainer

You would know if you had one as Deerfield stated it would be pretty obvious. Easy and cheap install.

lsvboombox
10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
LSV............search is your friend:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10670&highlight=water+strainer

You would know if you had one as Deerfield stated it would be pretty obvious. Easy and cheap install.

I know, unfortunately I picked the boat up a few weeks ago and I am way behind on the mods I need to do... So I am just throwing out questions as I find important mods/topics.... soon I will be caught up and can do my own dirty work....... :D