PDA

View Full Version : Prop change was interesting

you da man
09-24-2010, 03:11 PM
In a previous post I asked about the prop nut size on my 08 XLV. Everyone said 1 1/8"...turned out it was 1 1/16". I didn't have a 1 1/8" socket so I took the new nylon prop nut with me to Tractor Supply (love that place for cheap hardware and sockets). Got both size sockets, the new nut and old nut were both 1 1/16". Here comes the fun part. Followed the instructions that came with the Acme 1235 about using the prop puller and tapping the head of the bolt periodically, even tapped the back of the old prop with a rubber deadblow mallet. I kept repeating the steps, tightening and tapping and I even started over twice. Prop wouldn't move. I got to the point of tightening the prop puller was so tight I had to use a small pipe as a cheater on my ratchet. I was scared I was going to break the prop puller. I sat there in frustration as to why a 15 min job is taking 30-40 min while sipping my Gatorade. All of a sudden the prop busted loose on it's own (I had the old nut still threaded to catch it). Talk about scaring the poo out me.

viking
09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
As I read your thread I noticed almost immediately what your problem was.

I sat there in frustration as to why a 15 min job is taking 30-40 min while sipping my Gatorade.

This is a job better done over a 6pack of your favorite alcoholic beverage :D

sandm
09-24-2010, 04:51 PM
a 6-pack and a 15 minute job? I knew there was a reason why I always enjoyed living in montana :)

kaneboats
09-25-2010, 09:50 PM
And to think we changed props about 18 times in two days at the prop testing weekend. A 6 pack per change times 4-5 guys. No wonder we had no money for food!!!!!!!!!

moombadaze
09-26-2010, 12:16 PM
but think about this-we loaded the boat, changed props and back in the water in about 5 minutes it seemed-Awesome teamwork we had going and I dont think I could drink one beer in that amount of time let alone a 6 pack .

moombadaze
09-26-2010, 12:21 PM
All of a sudden the prop busted loose on it's own (I had the old nut still threaded to catch it). Talk about scaring the poo out me.

Yep, I think I would be looking for a change of shorts