PDA

View Full Version : late 90s boat comparisons

skiyaker
09-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Hey I have a question for you DD guys who have skied behind a lot of boats. I'm just dreaming a little, but how would you put a late 90s boomerang slalom wake against a similar year MC prostar 190 or ski nautique wake?

zabooda
09-23-2010, 02:38 AM
I skied the Boomerang and the Prostar and I liked both wakes. They are light enough boat for a small wake. Either way, three people is it in the boat without doing musical chairs.

sandm
09-23-2010, 10:11 AM
my ski buddy has a '94 boomerang and the ski wake at 36 is FLAT as a pancake. very nice boat. have not seen a prostar, but if it's a similar size/weight/hulldesign, should be the same.

zabooda is right on the capacity as well. 3 is the perfect number. more sucks.. we try to go with 2 skiers and someone that just wants to spot. more time on the water :)

skiyaker
09-24-2010, 10:50 PM
cool thanks for the feedback. I've skied the boomerang several times at 28mph which is what I'm working on now- but hoping to get faster in the future. I know where I can get a late 90s boomerang for 7-8k but it looks like a similar year MC or nautique will cost me twice that. My how I'd love to have a tiny slalom boat just to use at the ski lake which is only big enough to make a turn at one end! Dreamin' Dreamin!

maxpower220
09-25-2010, 12:14 AM
The late 90s MC Prostars were among the least liked as slalom boats go. Search "chime lock" on the MC forum. However, the Sportstar of the late 90s was a very good slalom wake. I did not care for the CC wake, so research that for yourself. The best slalom wake I was behind was a late 90s Malibu Response/Sportster. That boat is light with the Diamond Cut Hull, the wake was great. By far, my 99 Malibu Sportster was the flattest wake and the fastest boat that I have owned. Overall, I liked my 99 MC better for many reasons, but the Bu wake was better.
The Boomerang is an even lighter boat, never skied behind one, so I can't say what the wake is like.

kaneboats
09-25-2010, 09:57 PM
This one had a great wake. Don't know this guy but I've skied behind this one and a few like it.

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/1970318315.html

Sled491
09-27-2010, 10:58 PM
According to some ski coaches the Ski Centurian of the early 90's was the best ski wake ever,, but sucked to drive. I've skied behind a 2000 boomerang and at slower speeds I did not like it, but at 34 and 36 just about as good as it gets. The 190 prostar is a bit bigger boat but still very light, just depends on the year as MC had a habbit of making early verisons of new hull designs a bit heavy.

BensonWdby
09-27-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't have a lot to compare to. But something to consider. Most of the DD ski boats were designed as 3 event boats. So the slower you go the bigger the wake is going to get so you get a nice trick wake at trick speeds (15-22??) Since AWSA approval was probably done at 36 mph and maybe 34mph even an AWSA approved boat may be less desirable at 28 mph.

Personally I have a 99 Mobius (which is AWSA approved) and have no problem with the wake. I ski with guys who are more fond of their outboard wakes vs. my DD. But then we don't ski the course either.

If you are on your edge through the wakes you don't notice it much while you are skiing, but you might see some surprsing air time in the videos.

maxpower220
09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
The AWSA certs were really based on accelerations speeds, speed/timing accuracy, and tracking more than wake size or shape. There were also required seat positions, guages, etc inside of the boat.
Yes, the Centurian did have a great wake along with a Supra. If you check recent news, after an absence, they are now producing a new ski specific boat call the Carbon.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011-CENTURION-Carbon-Pro-97414225

skiyaker
09-28-2010, 05:18 PM
thanks for you thoughts guys. I still can't wrap my head around whether I want to own a second boat or not. If it weren't for the size of the ski lake (tiny) and the fact that the LS is being discontinued I'd probably just trade for an LS and be done with it but when the guy with the boomerang said he might be selling it it just got me thinking. I guess I should just be happy that I belong to a club with lots of true ski boats that I can trade rides with (most of their kids like to wakeboard) but every time I see a boomerang, TS6M, prostar, etc it really gets me. Plus every time I visit my dealer I see this

http://www.aquamarineofanderson.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=07642786X9K28K2010J4I17I0 0JPMQ2925R0&veh=1745869

deerfield
09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
skiyaker - I frequently skied behind a friend's '87 Centurian (could be off by a model year). It went to boat heaven when the trailer separated from tow vehicle (no safety chains) and ran into a telephone pole. I can understand your thinking about the one sitting at your dealer. Nice boat. - Deerfield

Sled491
09-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Max, we talked about the carbon last weekend. They are trying to break into the three event market with that boat. Problem is most serious clubs want it for free. It all has to do with the number of local and regional events they get to pull wit it. That in turn relates to the number of slots they can hold at the nationals for the boat draws. Kind of doesn't make sense to chase that market but hey it's there nickel. Maybe some of that R&D can be bought on the open market?

moombadaze
09-28-2010, 07:43 PM
crappy photos but that Carbon looks old school-and I like that. Nice colors too. But, what is the floor covered with-looks like they used the same material on the ski platform

Mikey
09-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love my boat but if you want to talk awesome wakes . While i was down in Florida skiing the Nautique 200 is in a class of its own in my opinion. Price ,looks styling etc leave a lot to be desired .but wake wise HARD to beat.

Sled491
09-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Feedback on the 200 is that it is 50/50 love it or leave it.

Wonder what the back board is for in that carbon?

maxpower220
09-29-2010, 09:04 AM
What I have seen on the 200 is the wake is great. A lot of the negative reviews are based on handling, speed/acceleration, and the OB/CB format. Most the those people can't let go of the 196.

I know that people want a boat that can do everything. If I were going to make a ski boat, it would be no longer the 19' 5" and no wider than 88" at the running waterline. The 20'+ boats with 95" beams just displace too much water to make a great slalom wake without a sacrificing handling, acceleration, or top speed. When one skis behind an early 90s MC and then a new ski boat, those old wakes in those small boats really are pretty close.

Mikey
09-29-2010, 09:51 PM
I never drove the 200 but speed was not a problem as well as the boat i was in had the 400hp 6.0 motor. Also i never realized just how much power loss we endure due to high altitude until being in Florida as well,even with my crappy rental car vrs my truck here at home . Altitude 3500ft. Just the same the feed back i got from the driver who is a university ski coach was ,he loves driving these boats and as mentioned WAKE ,OUTSTANDING,price not so much.
This boat also had the big motor for pulling jumpers more than any other reason as well.

viking
09-29-2010, 11:20 PM
thanks for you thoughts guys. I still can't wrap my head around whether I want to own a second boat or not. If it weren't for the size of the ski lake (tiny) and the fact that the LS is being discontinued I'd probably just trade for an LS and be done with it but when the guy with the boomerang said he might be selling it it just got me thinking. I guess I should just be happy that I belong to a club with lots of true ski boats that I can trade rides with (most of their kids like to wakeboard) but every time I see a boomerang, TS6M, prostar, etc it really gets me. Plus every time I visit my dealer I see this

http://www.aquamarineofanderson.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=07642786X9K28K2010J4I17I0 0JPMQ2925R0&veh=1745869

i say follow the advice of the boat itself and buy it ......... Y Knot??