PDA

View Full Version : Kicker KM10 Subwoofer in a 2008 Outback V?

deafgoose
09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Does anyone with a 2008 OBV have the optional subwoofer installed from the factory? If so could you take a quick pic of the kick panel for me? :)

I purchased a Kicker KM10 and it seems it will be a tight fit.

What do you guys think?

lewisb13
09-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Take a look at post #4 here....

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12841

A 10 inch sub is a 10 inch sub give or take.

deafgoose
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Take a look at post #4 here....

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12841

A 10 inch sub is a 10 inch sub give or take.

I agree. I am just glad to see that it does fit. THANKS!!!

lewisb13
09-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I will however say that it is going to be quite nerve-wracking (sp?) trying to cut a one-timer hole in there LOL.

EarmarkMarine
09-21-2010, 01:27 PM
You don't have to cut the hump. The KM10 is optimized for an enclosure, not that it hasn't been used in free-air applications. But it will sound better in an enclosure. There is plenty of room for a shallow slant-back box with drainage built in behind and under the enclosure with no more than five or so inches of lost foot/leg room.

David
Earmark Marine

lewisb13
09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Do these have to be custom made or do they exist somewhere online for us to feast our eyes and wallets on?

EarmarkMarine
09-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Kicker has that woofer in an injection-molded enclosure but it's not going to fit this particular application very well. We build an enclosure exactly as I described that includes all the mounting pads, risers, terminal cup and bracketry. You da Man has something very similar. It is custom but its very straight forward. Its slightly elevated off the sole and away from the hump so that the drainage provision is part of the design. This eliminates any mildew or mold trap by placing a box directly over the carpeted sole. Its available in Medex which should outlast the boat. All the attaching bracketry is external to the box so that the mounting will never compromise the airtight integrity of the enclosure. You can email for more details. But this is the ideal way to go whether you build the box yourself or contract the build.

David
Earmark Marine

deafgoose
09-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Kicker has that woofer in an injection-molded enclosure but it's not going to fit this particular application very well. We build an enclosure exactly as I described that includes all the mounting pads, risers, terminal cup and bracketry. You da Man has something very similar. It is custom but its very straight forward. Its slightly elevated off the sole and away from the hump so that the drainage provision is part of the design. This eliminates any mildew or mold trap by placing a box directly over the carpeted sole. Its available in Medex which should outlast the boat. All the attaching bracketry is external to the box so that the mounting will never compromise the airtight integrity of the enclosure. You can email for more details. But this is the ideal way to go whether you build the box yourself or contract the build.

David
Earmark Marine

Do you have any pics of the custom box you are talking about?

viking
09-21-2010, 03:45 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10632

Try this and look about 1/2 way through the thread

deafgoose
09-21-2010, 05:44 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10632

Try this and look about 1/2 way through the thread

That looks great but I refuse to loose any foot room. I also cant mount it above the kick panel because I will be installing a heater in the spring.

EarmarkMarine
09-21-2010, 07:07 PM
deafgoose,
That sub and facade, because the box was wedge shaped and conformed to the hump, only consumed a few inches of depth which is easily gauged by where the facade intersects along the side. There is plenty of space to the outside of the enclosure to flush in a vent through the facade or lots of open space over the facade to mount a vent. The enclosure did not penetrate over the hump or into the helm cavity behind the hump so there is zero enfringement on the space that would be utilized by the heater. There was no modification to the hump in any way.
While I'm not a fan of cutting into the hump it will work to give you more depth and displacement out front for a box that will require a little less depth relating to leg/foot space. If you try cutting the sub into the hump and using it in a free-air fashion, and you end up disappointed, then its a minor revision
to cut it out larger for an enclosure or simply cover it up with an enclosure.
On another note and not necessarily applied to your situation, we have a very compact and new bandpass enclosure that has 6dB more output (yes, four times the output) over a sealed enclosure. The best part is we are getting a linear response over a full octave with the highpass and lowpass minus 3dB down points a full octave and a half apart. This is a major departure from the typical bandpass and the output is greater than just about anything.

David
Earmark Marine

viking
09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
That looks great but I refuse to loose any foot room.

That was my ultimate decision to go the route I did. Good luck!

deafgoose
09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
deafgoose,
That sub and facade, because the box was wedge shaped and conformed to the hump, only consumed a few inches of depth which is easily gauged by where the facade intersects along the side. There is plenty of space to the outside of the enclosure to flush in a vent through the facade or lots of open space over the facade to mount a vent. The enclosure did not penetrate over the hump or into the helm cavity behind the hump so there is zero enfringement on the space that would be utilized by the heater. There was no modification to the hump in any way.
While I'm not a fan of cutting into the hump it will work to give you more depth and displacement out front for a box that will require a little less depth relating to leg/foot space. If you try cutting the sub into the hump and using it in a free-air fashion, and you end up disappointed, then its a minor revision
to cut it out larger for an enclosure or simply cover it up with an enclosure.
On another note and not necessarily applied to your situation, we have a very compact and new bandpass enclosure that has 6dB more output (yes, four times the output) over a sealed enclosure. The best part is we are getting a linear response over a full octave with the highpass and lowpass minus 3dB down points a full octave and a half apart. This is a major departure from the typical bandpass and the output is greater than just about anything.

David
Earmark Marine

Sweet. If you could post pics of what you are describing, that would be GREAT!

EarmarkMarine
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Viking already posted the link above in this thread. There are no pictures available to show the details behind the facade.
The bandpass is a rectangular enclosure that doesn't lend itself to an angled or wedge-shaped enclosure. Given that it would definitely consume leg room its really not applicable to your situation. But it can be installed so that it rides up on the hump a bit and allows your feet to fit underneath. Actually we have several designs for JL Audio W6 series woofers including the 10, 12, and
13-inch. And they are surprisingly compact. Absolute sound pressure machines!

David
Earmark Marine

jmvotto
09-22-2010, 06:29 AM
goose, if your not interested in loosing that much foot room, then mounting in that plate should work fine. The kicker is rated for free air. as well but sealed enclosures are more efficient.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20606KM10/Kicker-KM10.html?tp=972

really depends on how much bass you want, mine really rounds out the sound and hits the lows well, is it competition, no, but it is competing with engine noise and wind noise as well. i can hear it loud and clear in the boat. better yet, i use thefootwell for beach bags ect since the OBV are slim on storage.

pm if you have ???

EarmarkMarine
09-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Technically there is not a speaker that is good for both a small sealed box and an infinite baffle (free air) despite the assertions of this or that manufacturer. If it has middle of the road parameters then it does nothing very well. This woofer is better suited for a box. Is it still used in free-air? Yes. We have done it when budget dictated. The power handling is compromised and the midbass will be very soft. As long as you don't get carried away with the power and expectations you will be fine.

David
Earmark Marine