PDA

View Full Version : Still trying to choose

old geezer
09-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Help from someone fimilar with the product line and boats in general.

1st consideration - people

We generally take out at least 9 and sometime as many as 15 people. (LXV right??)

2nd consideration - Activities

10% time spent slalom skiing (my activity). Is LXV ok for slalom skiing??
30% time spent combo skiing (visitors and kids).
20% time spent wakeboarding (Oldest kid getting into this and it is starting to catch on with myself and others as well).
40% time spent tubing (fun had by all who try).

3rd consideration - Abilities

We have 1 beginner/intermiediate slalom skier, 4 beginner slalom skiers, 4 beginner wakeboarders, almost all people can ski on combos except for the youngest ones (ages 1 to 4), and we take out groups (once in awhile) that have never skied before (such as scouts).

I have always Had IOs before. I notice that inboards do not have ladders to platform is that a problem for young people or disabled people when it comes time to get back into the boat?? Or is the platform closer to the water so it isn't required?? Or is there an aftermarket ladder that is suitable.

Safety

Inboard - good - keeps prop under boat - less draft in shallow waters -
IO - so so

Thanks for any input. Feel free to add any other thoughts that I may have overlooked.

09-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Old Geezer,I have a 2003 Outback LS.We use it for about the same activities as you do.I think it works well for all of them.The only problem I could see is taking 15 people out.It would be a little tight.As far as the swim platform they sit almost even with the water when sitting still,so they are easy to climb on to.I've only had a few people that needed help to climb aboard.IMO once you go inboard you'll never go back!

09-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Old Geezer,I have a 2003 Outback LS.We use it for about the same activities as you do.I think it works well for all of them.The only problem I could see is taking 15 people out.It would be a little tight.As far as the swim platform they sit almost even with the water when sitting still,so they are easy to climb on to.I've only had a few people that needed help to climb aboard.IMO once you go inboard you'll never go back!

jburnside
09-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Geezer,
I think you meant to say XLV. It is the largest boat in the Moomba line and is the only one that will handle the capacity you mentioned (15). The wake behind that boat even at slalom speeds is going to be formidable. If you want to slalom and wakeboard I would recommend that you take a look at either the Mobius LS or Mobius LSV. Both come with towers and ballast for wakeboarding and both have wakes that are more manageable for slalom skiers. I personally own a 2003 Outback LS (same hull has the boats I mentioned above) and the boat does well with up to 8 people. The capacity states 10 but I wouldn't want to spend to much time on the water with 10 people in my boat unless a few were small kids. The platform, while the boat is at rest, sits even with the water. Very easy to get in and out of the water, much safer than a ladder in my opinion, cut my foot twice on boarding ladders on IO boats. Good luck.

Summit_SS
09-28-2004, 04:56 PM
I have personaly never been in a XLV but from what I hear the are really nice even with the large amount of people that you would like to have in the boat. If your going to buy one that is the one i would choose. Plus the boat dropped 500 lbs for 2005 so it should still take off out of the hole if you choose the right engine to go with it.

there is still one question i have for you and that is, how big is the lake your going to be boating on? you dont really want a huge boat for a small lake.

Summit_SS
09-28-2004, 04:59 PM
and one more thing sorry.

If you have decided not to go with a ski boat and went with an IO all you have to do is shut the motor off and that will keep everyone safe.

old geezer
09-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Summit_SS

The safety factor is not from contact with a rotating prop as my engine is always off when anyone is in the water near the stern. I worry about someone jumping off the platform and contacting the protruding sterndrive. Even with the extended platform that I added this year the sterndrive is closer than anything that protudes on an inboard.

Our boating is conducted at the following types locations:
-50% on river (7 mile section) the largest boats that I have seen in that area approx. 30'-35'
-15% on a large freshwater river with barge and other large vessels traffic.
-20% on small lakes 2000 acre with alot of boat traffic and wakes.
-10% on med size lakes 15,000 acre with moderate traffic.
-5% on great lakes (to view air and water shows)

Thanks for the input
old geezer

old geezer
09-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Summit_SS

Also where did the 500 LBS come off the xlv?? I have that question asked several times but haven't seen an answer.

brentburtrum
09-29-2004, 10:19 AM
I have attempted to take my Mobius LSV out on Lake Michigan, i was unsuccessfull, i think waves were 2-3 feet and i was getting thrown around like a rag doll. I think the XLV is going to fit you perfectly. Also maybe check out a 2005 Supra Launch 24SSV.

Brent Burtrum

Summit_SS
10-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Geezer

To answer your question about where the 500lbs came from.....I have no clue i am going to talk to the dealer in the next few weeks and i am sure that he could tell me.

After looking at what type of water you go on I and going to go with BRENT and say that the XLV is 100% what you need. I beleive he also mentioned the 24ssv from supra would also be a good choice. These both are GREAT boats as for what one is the better of the two.... I guess I would say whatever fits in your pocket book. I believe the only difference is the options and name. Kind of like chevy and gmc.

old geezer
10-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Summit_SS

I was checking out Supra's web site and they offer a gear reduction transmission. Is that a big advantage?

Thanks for the help
old geezer

Summit_SS
10-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Sorry it has been so long but i finally got the time to talk to the dealer this morning.

The XLV's 500 lbs has allready been explained in another post so i won't talk about that.

As for the gear reduction transmission. The only advantage to having one is that it will give you a little more power out of the hole but you will lose 5 or 6 mph on top end so personally I dont think that is nessary. I have always been one for adding more Horsepower.

Sorry it took so long for the post

bj
10-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Mobius XLV or the Supra 24SSV will do great for everything you want except for slalom. You can slalom with these, but it is a large, yet smooth, wake for slalom skiing. You would have to get use to a little bit larger bump when crossing than a direct drive or smaller v.

I had a chance to test and review an 05 Mobius LSV last weekend. The 05 Mobius LSV is a perfect boat for both wakeboarding and slalom at any level with the wake plate and ballast installed. Ballast full and wake plate up provides a great wakeboarding wake for all levels. Ballast empty and wake plate down gives a very flat wake for good slalom runs.

You could be pretty comfortable with 8 people at the most in a Mobius LSV. However, it would be uncomfortable with the maximum capacity of 10 people and there wouldn't be much storage to hold gear for that many people.

My 2 cents.