PDA

View Full Version : Trailer - swing-away tongue vs standard

clark
09-23-2004, 11:19 AM
By getting the swing-away tongue trailer does it make it safer from people who had rather steal a boat than buy one. With my other boats, I had the regular tongue and used a lock that would slide up inside where the ball goes and a lock on the latch that secures the hitch to the ball. I was wondering if the swing-away tongues have a way to lock them and would this discourage someone from trying to get it..... bottom line, is one any safer than the other?

09-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Clark,
I have the swing-away tongue option on our Boatmate trailer and it does not have a lock feature to hold the tongue in the "swung" position. It does have a hole that allows you to place a lock through the coupler. So I guess to answer your question, one is not "safer" than the other. That would be pretty cool if they had put an option like that on the swing-away version.

Yellowmobius
09-23-2004, 12:24 PM
I would get it either way, better resale value

clark
09-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Ed,

You said that it much more secure, so I would think that if you store it outdoors, you would want the swing-away, but not for the space, for the safeness.

Clark

clark
09-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Is there a good way to lock up a swing-away?

clark
09-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Ed,

Yeah, I knew that it would make it shorter for storage in a garage. Thanks,

Since I never owned a wing-away trailer I didn't know if it was also a security feature. Thanks for that clarification.

I already thought about the cable locks. My brother uses one on his boat trailer.

Thanks again for the info. I am looking forward to getting a Mobius LSV in January.

Clark

brentburtrum
09-29-2004, 10:31 AM
I just use a pad lock while the tounge is swung away.

Pull the pin, swing away, throw a lock where you removed the pin so it can't be put back in.

Brent Burtrum