PDA

View Full Version : Do your ballast bags completely empty?

deafgoose
09-14-2010, 08:59 PM
My left ballast bag gets sucked dry but my right and center never completely empty.

I do not trailer my boat. I roll my ballast bags to get all the air out. I also made sure to seal the treads on the quick connectors so I don't have a clue how air is able to get into my ballast system.

Anyone else have these issues?

you da man
09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Maybe a gallon or slightly less in each rear 1100 sac. I remove my rear sacs everytime I go to the lake. I take the center sac out maybe every 2-3 times. As we pull up the boat ramp my g/f hits the empty switches to empty most of the water. Using the ramp and the hill up to the parking lot helps will get all the water to the drain line.

skiyaker
09-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I usually empty mine out on the way back to the ramp going about 10-15 mph with the nose up in the sky- that gets them mostly empty. If I'm going to ski and want them completely empty I grab the bag and hold it up as it's emptying and that gets all the water out. I've noticed that if any air gets in the line you have to turn the pump off, hold up the bag, then restart the drain pump. This leads the the comical end of the day when my head is back in the rear compartment yelling at the Mrs "turn it off" "wait!" "OK now drain it again. No the left one... wait I mean the right one!"

kaneboats
09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I've been going home and watering the grass with the last gallon or so. The grass is dead but it's green now.

deafgoose
09-15-2010, 12:32 AM
I am totally aware that it's easier to empty the bags with the boat in motion but my left ballast gets literally sucked dry while the boat is docked.

It would just be nice to have the other two bags do the same.

mmandley
09-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Once i got my 750s and they have a vent line i added, i was able to get them to drain all the way. Whats happening is an air pocket gets in the drain pump and it cant deal with it.

When i had the 400s i had the not draining all the way problem all the time.

The air is inevitable as these are air driven style pumps.

jmvotto
09-15-2010, 08:38 AM
DG, do you bags have the fill, drain and vent holes. if so these air release plugs may do the trick while draining. I have not tested mine yet on the drain part but it is less messy when trying to get the air out for full ballast. This was the easy option before i pumbed in vent lines, which i am trying to avoid.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w749.html