PDA

View Full Version : What wetsuit and what H2O temps

you da man
09-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm about to get a full wetsuit. 99% sure I'm going with an Xcel Infinity X-Zip or Drylock 4/3 suit. I haven't ruled out a 4/3 Gul suit either. I'm not one to skemp on anything and I do believe you get what you pay for in most things so I'm not going to even consider the Oneill's or Quicksilvers at sporting goods stores, Costco, or Thedailysteal.com. I'm sure the coldest water I'll wakeboard in will be mid 50's. The top of the line Xcel's and Gul suits are practically drysuits. Why don't I get a drysuit? I don't like the bagginess and I dont' want to take 15 min to get ready and to get undressed. I know Ocean Rodeo makes a super pimp semi-snug drysuit but it's $700+. What suits are you guys/gals using, what thickness, what temp range, and how well does your fullsuit do againt leaking at the zipper.

you da man
09-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Nice recommendation KG. Their higher end suits seem to have great features...seal/taped seams and waterproof chest zipper.

you da man
09-14-2010, 09:12 AM
I have the Excell by Exceed.

Our water temps usually don't go down much past 63

The exceed does a great job of keeping water out of the neck, leg and arm cuffs - but you do get that little rush as water starts to trickle in thru the zipper.

That's what I'm trying to avoid with the zipper and water temps in the 50's. The suits with waterproof zippers seem to up the price quite a bit

brain_rinse
09-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I have the Excel Exceed 3/2 spring suit. I'll be drysuit shopping this winter... looking forward to some extra manueverability.

you da man
09-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Don't skimp on the water proof zipper ... My buddy bought one same time as me, tested it in the bath tub and sent it back the same day. He bought one more expensive than that one I showed you. Price doesn't mean everything, he ended up with the one I have after calling the warehouse and talking to them.

I'm not going cheap on the zipper. Looking at the Hyperflex Amp chest zip 3/2

zabooda
09-14-2010, 11:15 AM
I haven't gone out in cold water for a long time but when we did we would use the shower to fill the wet suit with warm water before we got in. No in rush of cold water.

sailing217
09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
We take a water jug filled with hot water when it's in the low 60's to 50's.

Hopefully we'll get another few weeks before the water temps drop out of the 70's and I have to break out the wetsuit. 52 degrees was the coldest I've been in with a full 3/4 O'neill. I need to get some booties when surfing and maybe some gloves.

kaneboats
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Nah, throw a little ice in your wetsuit before you zip up. That way when the water gets in it feels nice and warm to you. Or use the EdG method of heating up the wetsuit. :)

you da man
09-14-2010, 10:03 PM
My vote is still with a wetsuit that doesn't let water rush in

I was leaning towards the Hyperflex Amp 3/2 chest zip suit but their sizing is not tall and thin friendly (6'00" and 155lb). Xcel has a suit that is perfect for my body type and I found the Xcel Infinity 3/2 X-Zip for $279. There are reviews for it on some surf forums that have guys using the Xcel Infinity 3/2 in waters in the upper 40's without problems and in the mid-50's feeling hot in the suit.

you da man
09-14-2010, 10:24 PM
very practical -installed a shower on my ride

in the spirit of full disclosure - I bypassed the wet-suit at 60 to 64 degree water temp and went straight to the drysuit on sunday - rode three sets in a pair of sweats and tee shirt - between sets I took off the top and wrapped it around my waist - air temps were chilly but after a 15-20 minute set it was a great way to cool down...

Wow, I'm still trunking it in the mid-60's

kaneboats
09-14-2010, 10:53 PM
It's supposed to dip below 80 here in a few weeks. I think the water temps will be below 72 by then. Time to break out the dry suits (brrrrr!!!).

you da man
09-14-2010, 11:14 PM
We're at 80-82 water temps since we got a foot of rain in just a few days. The lake came up 7ft along with debris.

09-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Water up here in Alberta Canada was 54 this past weekend. I think it's officially Dry Suit time from here on in.

jmvotto
09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
i spent 20 minutes "in" the water to fix our water line in a body glove 3/2 in 2009. water temp below 40.. definatley used the ed method to warm it up.:mrgreen:

you guys south of the mason dixon need to come north for october boarding....:p

kaneboats
09-17-2010, 01:21 AM
I play like I can't take cold water-- and compared to the Canucks on here I don't mean really cold. But, I go down to about 67 before I don the shorty. That's downright frigid for the FL folks. If its too cold for the shorty I'm done. My worst problem is the knees don't loosen up enough to do anything if it's too cold.