PDA

View Full Version : water issue leads to power loss

csaj4506
09-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I have an 04 LS and it runs fine for the first pull or two then there is a loss of power, idles fine. I noticed one of the water hose caving a little, but temp is fine and impeller looks good. Had some small sticks in the water strainer, I checked all hoses and no issues. Not sure what it’s called but the expansion joint after the strainer on the front of the engine seemed clear. Anyone know what to check next that would explain the power loss and the caving hose?

lewisb13
09-13-2010, 09:56 PM
I have an 04 LS and it runs fine for the first pull or two then there is a loss of power, idles fine. I noticed one of the water hose caving a little, but temp is fine and impeller looks good. Had some small sticks in the water strainer, I checked all hoses and no issues. Not sure what it’s called but the expansion joint after the strainer on the front of the engine seemed clear. Anyone know what to check next that would explain the power loss and the caving hose?

You got some serious vacuum going on somewhere.

KSmith
09-15-2010, 06:31 PM
You got some serious vacuum going on somewhere.

Just thinking out loud, but I agree to cave in a water line would take a fair amount of vacuum. A vacuum should be impossible upstream from the impeller, so I would think the line that is caving in would have to be the supply line. If so then I'd check the inlet under the boat for obstructions and that the supply line value is fully open. If all else fails it may be worth pulling the line that is caving and inspect.

Loss of power I have no idea since you say the temp is ok.

csaj4506
09-20-2010, 10:44 PM
2 years ago i had a fresh water impeller go bad before i replaced it, so now as part of my annual maintenance i replace the fresh water impeller. So when the engine started loading down i checked the impeller and it was good. I checked all the hoses for any blockage, they looked good. But this weekend i checked oil heat exchanger and found it almost plugged with old impeller rubber pieces. have not had a change to take it for a test run but almost certain it is the problem.

Since the water hose on the right side of the water pump was caving i wonder if i should replace it, can i use a automotive hose?

where is the best place to get a new water hose?

-bleurue