PDA

View Full Version : Drysuit

walb0244
09-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I got a drysuit used on craigslist. When I got it and put it on I noticed that the ankle seal has a tear in it. I'm not sure if I did it or not but either way does anybody know a place to repair it? I know there are places but I didn't know if anyone had any luck with one place over another. I have never used a drysuit so not sure if i did something wrong or not. Do you have to lube the seals before putting them on or what?

kaneboats
09-13-2010, 11:52 PM
There is an inexpensive tape known as "600 MPH airplane wing tape" that will seal it up tight. This is just a temporary fix though. :D

skiyaker
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Barts sells a drysuit seal replacement kit you could do it yourself- I've not done it but it doesn't look that difficult. I think it comes with some glue and the seals. I don't lube the seals before I put mine on but I do keep them conditioned with seal conditioner so the latex doesn't break down.

walb0244
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe that is what happened. Maybe the seals got dried out. I just purchased it from someone online so it was used. Not sure if it was taken good care of or not. But I only paid 50 bucks for it. So thought maybe it would get me through the rest of this season. Then I might send it in to get new seals put in it. I was trying not to spend big bucks on a suit but might have screwed my self on that.

yearround
09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
i bought a dry suit from a fellow moomba owner. it was acknowledged that the seal were degrading. they held for a couple rides, then blew out. i could buy the arm and leg seals from the manuf. but not the neck seal. i sent the suit to the manuf to replace all the seals. i don't recall the price but it was still a significant savings over new. i rarely put on a wet suit now. if i cant trunk it i dry suit.

skiyaker
09-14-2010, 09:44 PM
man 50 bucks is a great deal even if you have to replace all seals. I'd just make sure whoever you send it to will get it back to ya soon- you're gonna want it in just a few weeks. I trunked it in 66 degree water the other day and I agree, now that I have a dry suit I'm gonna trunk it until the water hits 60 then strap on the dry suit until the lake freezes.

newty
09-15-2010, 06:25 PM
I've done all my own seals. Fairly easy. Use food grade silicone spray (aerosol can) to condition the seals. Check any dive shops in your area. often times they will have replacement seals and the right glue for the job. MEK (metheyl etheyl ketone) is good for removing the old seals. Just don't leave the seals submerged in there too long.

PM me if you decide to do them yourself and I'll give you some easy tips to follow. I was taught buy a guy that used to work for OS systems a dry suit manufacturer and he did all the repairs.