PDA

View Full Version : My Exile SXT65 Tower Speakers!

Razzman
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Thought i'd share my new tower/amp setup with everyone. Just installed four of the Exile SXT65 tower speakers along with an Exile Harpoon amp to power them. I know some will say that these aren't HLCD's and your right. I didn't feel the need for them and after adding these to the tower i'm glad i did! These things are loud and super clear! Tried them on the lake yesterday boarding, surfing and yes even tubing and all behind the boat said they could hear them loud and clear.

Just for giggles I anchored in a cove and climbed the hill way up behind the boat and they were super clear way beyond 150' and i dare say maybe even double that but the bushes stopped my progess :p

The SXT65 has a more dynamic range than your normal HLCD, i wasn't looking to blast the lake just something that sounded great and covered the riders zone and these definately do it. I'm only running the Harpoon at 50% and i can't imagine how loud they be with more power!

The cool part is they don't overpower the cabin at speed and with the Throttle Box on the Harpoon you can shape the sound field for boarding, surfing or hanging out. The hidden wiring is a big plus as well. Definately way cool.

If your looking for something that doesn't break the bank you might look into these, cheers!

Razzman
09-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I drilled mine, i wasn't that concerned with it. Your probably seeing the jumper from the front tower bar to the rear and the tower light wiring. I already had one big hole there, what's five more? LOL!

Brianinpdx
09-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Razz - looks really nice! Glad they sound good and where an improvement over your prior setup. Not a lot of guys can boast 1,000 watts on their tower. Welcome to the family!

-Brian
Exile

Ps: Ed I guess we'll have to talk to skiers choice and have them put on at the factory. Then no more holes! And no need to upgrade ever again. Hehe.

lewisb13
09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
SICK dude. I cant wait to get some XM7s this winter...

EarmarkMarine
09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Those models sound really good and if you don't mind sacrificing some limited degree of projection I think they sound better than HLCDs. Your getting a continuous midbass cone without a pole tweeter mount or horn protruding through. That spells more surface area. And that direct radiating dome tweeter is still aggressive enough to qualify as a true tower speaker but a little smoother than a horn.

We drill a single hole at the front and a single hole at the rear of the tower. Each hole passes through both walls of the tower rail and into the front-to-rear connecting tube. This eliminates the external service loop. We carry snap-in plugs that lock into the holes and provide a finished look.

David
Earmark Marine

kaneboats
09-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Wow! They look great. And I must say, Razz, you look younger every year. How do you do it?

jmvotto
09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Nice upgrade.

they look sick and i bet they sound great

brain_rinse
09-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Those look great! Very nice upgrade.

cab13367
09-14-2010, 03:11 PM
We drill a single hole at the front and a single hole at the rear of the tower. Each hole passes through both walls of the tower rail and into the front-to-rear connecting tube. This eliminates the external service loop. We carry snap-in plugs that lock into the holes and provide a finished look.

David,

That is ingenious! So you drill a horizontal hole thru the front of the front tower tube and all the way thru into the oval, front-to-rear tube and then do the same on the back of the rear tube? Are the snap-in plugs rubber or are they aluminum to match the tower?

Al

EarmarkMarine
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Al,
The snap- in caps are black or white. We dye (not paint) the white because its less UV stable than black and this keeps the plastic from ever ambering. We have also dyed in a number of colors to match the powdercoat. The holes are drilled precisely to 1/2-inch so the plug locks into place and we use a bit of silicon for insurance. The interior pass-thru holes are de-burred so the wires never get chafed.

David
Earmark Marine

Razzman
09-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Wow! They look great. And I must say, Razz, you look younger every year. How do you do it?

Kane, i've been taking AgeAway pills, i think i got a little carried away though! Gotta start working out again! :p

kaneboats
09-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Are those the little blue ones that make you feel so much younger?

Razzman
09-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Are those the little blue ones that make you feel so much younger?

Uh no, not quite there yet! :p

Razzman
09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey Razz...

what's up with the KKK hat in your avatar?

Huh? Where ya seeing that? :confused:

brain_rinse
09-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I was trying to figure out what it was, but never landed on KKK hat. :)

Razzman
09-15-2010, 10:46 AM
There, i made in something recognizeable! :p

kaneboats
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I couldn't figure out what that thing was either.

mmandley
09-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Razz glad to hear you got hooked up with the Exile tower.

Like i been telling people since i went Exile last Winter, you just cant judge this gear till you hear it first hand. Its by fare some of the best gear you will ever get in the stereo business.

newty
09-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Razz, looks great, I know its gotta sound great. I'm going to have to start saving some cheese to keep up with you'all.

Razzman
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Razz, looks great, I know its gotta sound great. I'm going to have to start saving some cheese to keep up with you'all.

Well in my case I wasn't planning on this this year! I'd blown two outta four speakers in the old glass box and had to replace them. I didn't want the same speakers as they were inadequate and it would have cost me a bundle anyway for any decent marine 6x9 so the wife says "just do what you really want", so here it is! :p

jmvotto
09-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Razz, love the exiles and the sound that everyone raves about.

my head still hurts from reading what you accidentally stirred up over on WW.
not your fault the hijack turned really technical.:p

Razzman
09-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Razz, love the exiles and the sound that everyone raves about.

my head still hurts from reading what you accidentally stirred up over on WW.
not your fault the hijack turned really technical.:p

No kidding huh! I can't believe what that turned into.