PDA

View Full Version : Hmm

Jer pdx
09-09-2010, 10:04 PM
I have posted earlier. Went out on the Willamette this weekend. 1100lb sac driver side, 200-300lb port side, center bag full, 2 people in the bow and the wakeplate maxed out. 9ish mph/22-2400rpm's. can carve great the wake is large, but cant find the sweet spot to let go and ride. the rope is about 12 feet long, should it be longer. i watch vids of people who have a smaller wake but have no prob surfing.

Jer pdx
09-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I have a 5'6 liquid force board, with a pointed tip, should it be longer or rounded? I have an 05' Mobius LSV

ssmith
09-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Try increasing your speed to between 10.5-12mph and see if this helps. 9mph seems to slow to me but I'd still think its surfable. It sounds as though your setup is otherwise good. The only thing I do different is no port side weight. I only weight the ski locker/bow and surf side. The board you have is great for learning so no issues there. Good luck.

you da man
09-09-2010, 10:49 PM
What boat do you have?

cab13367
09-09-2010, 11:06 PM
It's not the wave or the board. Have someone video u then post it on here so we can have a look and pinpoint the problem.

you da man
09-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Try increasing your speed to between 10.5-12mph and see if this helps. 9mph seems to slow to me but I'd still think its surfable. It sounds as though your setup is otherwise good. The only thing I do different is no port side weight. I only weight the ski locker/bow and surf side. The board you have is great for learning so no issues there. Good luck.

I agree with the speed but having opposite side weight is golden when you're running as much weight as he is. I run a similiar set up. 1100 surf side rear sac, 1180 center, 400lb steel shot bags under surf side seat, 400lb sac on top of surf side seat, 400 sac in the bow. Yep, that's 3500lbs of ballast. Goofy side is hard to dial in for a big wake with alot of pocket. Regular side I can get a very nice wake with 2,700-2,800

If you have an XLV, I would say add another 400lbs to the surf side or put the two people surf side and 400lb in the bow. You never said what boat you have

sandm
09-10-2010, 07:31 AM
agree with ed and cab, however the first fix I would try would be speed up to around 10.5 when you vid. 9 is a tad slow for any boat..

zegm
09-10-2010, 08:50 AM
however the first fix I would try would be speed up to around 10.5 when you vid. 9 is a tad slow for any boat..

We have the same board and even my 13 year old son (who is really good at this stuff) would have trouble at 9 mph.

89PROSTAR
09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
My first behind my boat I was at about 9mph as well. I only had the factory center and port side full with 3 people in the boat. It was ok but not great. I did go without the rope but it wasn't a huge pocket. I don't think I had the rear bag completly full either. I was short on time....I want to upgrade to the 750's in the rear. My goal is to have a great wake without having bags all over the boat to hassle with. We are planning on going back out on Sunday to 10th street but may not have any spotters. Any locals plan on being out?

bergermaister
09-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I was running just a 400 on the surf side and 750 in the belly with 3-4 passengers. Frustrating - seemed the sweet spot was barely there at any speed. More weight on the surf side was the ticket but then had to increase speed to about 11+ to keep it consistent.

After playing around with ballast upgrades I spent some time just filling it up and driving at speeds to see what it looked like from inside the boat with a few passengers. Also a great way to show a newb driver what to do when driving for a surf set.

Board size sounds like plenty. I actually struggled a lot on a 5'3" Hyperlite broadcast on a smaller wave and I'm 6'3 200lbs. Bigger wave and it was ok but the extra length of board helps a lot. I have a 5'9" ocean board I love. I've also ridden a 4'9" but kept sinking it in search of the sweet spot...

Jer pdx
09-16-2010, 12:52 PM
05 Mobius lsv

sailing217
09-20-2010, 09:44 AM
JerPdx: Kick it up to 10mph, start with no weight on the wrong side (1100lb in the corner, center, maybe 200lb in the bow, people sit behind driver).

Others will chime in about the wakeplate setting.

Smaller, lower freeboard boat like the 05' lsv you'll ride closer to the swimdeck, like 2-3ft from it. Drag your hand in the top of the wave and that's usually the sweetspot. Slack in the rope is freeriding so don't think you have to throw the rope until you got it down. Front foot is gas, back foot is brake. When you throw the rope, you naturally stand up and put weight on rear foot and lose the wave; have someone pull the rope out of your hand. Shifting your head and shoulders is enough movement to shoot toward the boat or slow down. A longer rope helps to ride with slack