PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal

davinci
09-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Wanted to start working on the engine , so I decided to begin replacing the impeller. I removed the cover and discovered that the impeller is squished on the right side ....is this normal ??

BensonWdby
09-09-2010, 09:51 PM
They need to be offset so they create vacuum. Proabbly OK unless the center appears broken or loose.

DOCDRS
09-09-2010, 09:53 PM
yes that is totally normal, however the surprising to see some of the arms pointing in the opposite direction, I'm taking it you are replacing it...a pair of large needlenose visegrips some silicone spray lube and bingo its out, rotate the new one in a clockwise rotation as thats the way it spins.......I wouldn't put the new one in untill your ready to use it no sense in compressing the arms when not necessary...

davinci
09-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Great ..thanks guys I will attack it tommorrow , hope it comes out easy !!

Sled491
09-12-2010, 01:32 PM
that is normal, and looks fine, just my 2 cents

davinci
09-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Does the new impeller come with a gasket as well ? The reason i'm asking is because I was reading through cab's winterization , some of you remove the impeller for the winter but what about the gasket, since it's no good anymore once removed do they sell them apart ?

mnpracing
09-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Whenever I've bought a new impeller they always came with a new gasket. Give skidim.com a call.

deerfield
09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Does the new impeller come with a gasket as well ?

Yes. See the pics.

Sled491
09-13-2010, 08:28 AM
They come with gasket and mine came with a small amount of lubricant

viking
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Does the new impeller come with a gasket as well ? The reason i'm asking is because I was reading through cab's winterization , some of you remove the impeller for the winter but what about the gasket, since it's no good anymore once removed do they sell them apart ?

As per the posts before this, yes most come with gaskets. However my last impeller came from the dealer and they just gave me the impeller (no gasket or lubricant). When I changed I was carefull and used the old gasket and no problem at all this season. Visually inspect it when you have the cover off and it might be just fine. If there is a new one in the kit though - why not use it :)

davinci
09-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't think I can use the old one, it looks pretty flattened out , why take a chance since I already have it off. I wll try to get it locally, if not i'll call skidim. Do i need to torque the bolts on the cover ??

Sled491
09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
They are small and brass. I'm sure there are torque specs, but I just tighten by feel and never had a leak yet. Careful not to overtighten as I mentioned they are brass after all.

kaneboats
09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
"Tighten by feel". The words I lived to fear as a child. I have "feel". My Dad has "fear". He always "feared" the loose bolt. His solution: Tighten till it won't budge a bit-- then tighten a bit more-- then tighten a bit more to be sure to prove you are stronger than the next guy! If you feel the bolt breaking, then tighten it more to prove it is defective, then drill out the broken bolt and break off the drill bit in the hole. When the unsuspecting son wakes up and you are still working, drilling out the broken drill bit, you can claim you were very thorough . . .. . . .. . .

kaneboats
09-14-2010, 12:04 AM
OK, that's not fair. When you tighten a cover- screw the bolts down snug. Then imagine the seal you are trying to tighten/ crush slightly. How much force does it take? If you are wrong it might drip a little. If you notice the drip you can tighten a bit more. No need to snap bolts, right? Do I make my point? Sorry to offend. :(

Sled491
09-14-2010, 08:52 AM
This is what you get for posting at the end of a long day :)

zabooda
09-14-2010, 04:55 PM
davinci, you are doing a complete engine replacement so I recommend replacing the impeller and other tune-up items such as spark plugs, oil and tranny change because you may have your hands full with other issues. The impeller is an item that may be inspected and replaced on the water so taking the cover off and replacing it does not require torquing.

kaneboats
09-14-2010, 10:37 PM
This is what you get for posting at the end of a long day :)

Forgive the rant. I was in poor shape being all tired and slightly PWI. It was such a recurring theme for me and it just triggered the response. Things are so much brighter today (Moomba ready for p/u on Thurs.).

davinci
09-17-2010, 07:15 AM
ok ...so no torque wrench just (FEEL) Lol
Yes i will be replacing the plugs /oils/ exhaust manifold gaskets/impeller/fuel filter, also extend oil drain hose for easier future oil changes. Somewhere on the forum I read about greasing the rudder by the zerk but I don't have a zerk on mine (am I the only one) ??

Sled491
09-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Never seen a zerk on mine, but I guess it could be added easy enough

mcdye
09-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Somewhere on the forum I read about greasing the rudder by the zerk but I don't have a zerk on mine (am I the only one) ??

I know for fact on 02 OB LSV has one..