PDA

View Full Version : Amp Tuning

lewisb13
09-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks again for all the responses in my 6 channel amp thread. I ended up picking up an MB Quart NAU660 for $192 shipped. See post below...this one has been edited since I didnt add enough info!

EarmarkMarine
09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
We need to know the exact supply voltage when the system shuts down.
We need to know what speakers (impedance load) you are running to each channel.
Are two of the channels bridged? Just a 6 1/2 coax to each channel and no sub?
What specifically is shutting down, the head unit or amplifier?
David
Earmark Marine

lewisb13
09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Ok I am terribly terribly sorry I was so vague. RIGHT NOW here is my setup. I have a Kenwood KDC-225MR head unit, no amp, and 6 db651. The 2 bow speakers are run off 2 channels and obviously running a 4 ohm load and the 4 cabin speakers are wired in parallel running off 2 channels at a 2 ohm load. (I think this is how its set up, its the stock wiring and the head unit is obviously only 4 channel and I seriously doubt they have the cabin speakers in series at 8 ohms). Head unit goes into protect mode.

On monday my NAU660 will arrive and I will have all 6 speakers running off the amp which they will be wired 1 speaker per channel, so thats a 4 ohm load per speaker and the amp provides 60 watts RMS and the speakers are rated for 65RMS.

NOW, with that being said, since I will be unplugging the current speakers from the head unit and running them off the amp, the head unit in the future, with the gain on the amp turned all the way DOWN, may allow me to turn up the volume because the signal will just be coming through the RCA and then split inside the amp. You get what Im saying there? Basically I dont think the head unit will behave the same with the speakers wired off the amp and the gain turned all the way down as they would with no amp, wired in current configuration.

My last thing is that I need an amp kit. You go on crutchfield and sonicelectronix, which are really the only 2 places that I have heard people use, and they have about 40 different 4ga kits and my head is spinning trying to figure out what to use. Maybe Mr. Earmark you could suggest a vendor and a good kit to fit my needs. Here is my shopping list.

About 4 feet of 4ga grounding cable
About 4 feet of 4ga power cable
About 45 feet of 16ga speaker wire
A fuse (not sure on size, im assuming the instructions in the amp will let me know this, or maybe i could just use an 80 or 100 amp and be done with it?)
About 6 feet of remote wire
6 .187 quick slide connectors
6 .110 quick slide connectors
A good set of 4-6 foot long RCA cables.
About 6 cases of beer and a bar of soap after all the cussing and trying to squeeze into tight spaces Ill be doing

EarmarkMarine
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I do know of a site that has every item you mentioned accept the beer and soap or anything else that produces foam. Contact Odin with a list and he can help you through the process.
We expect the source unit issue will be resolved once you install the new amplifier with one speaker to each channel which is very conservative. As for tuning, once the amplifier is installed and operational we can have a 2 minute phone conversation and you'll have it dialed in to perfection.

David
Earmark Marine

lewisb13
09-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Who exactly is Odin? A member on here?

cab13367
09-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Head unit goes into protect mode.

Does the head unit show "protect" on the display? Does it only happen on certain songs and shows protect before the song starts?

cab13367
09-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Who exactly is Odin? A member on here?

I think Odin is an employee at earmark marine.

lewisb13
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
No, it just shuts off for a second or two and then tries to boot back up. Whole screen turns off and everything. This is my 1-2 second opportunity to hurry up and beat the snot out of the "volume down" button...

cab13367
09-09-2010, 04:08 PM
No, it just shuts off for a second or two and then tries to boot back up. Whole screen turns off and everything. This is my 1-2 second opportunity to hurry up and beat the snot out of the "volume down" button...

Oh, okay. Reason I ask is that according to the manual for your head unit, if the display shows "Protect", it's because you are trying to play copy-protected material or a wma file but it does not sound like this is the case.