PDA

View Full Version : Question From Manual???

Jon J
09-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I always do all my own service on my boat and today I did something I rarely do...looked at a manual. The 2007 owners manual had two maintenece items that I've never done and I'm not sure exactly what they are "clean tansmission oil strainer screen" and "lubricate distributer cam". Can anybody explain / help ? See image & thank you.

NCSUmoomba
09-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I can help with the first one. Underneath the transmission, there is a cover plate with I think two bolts holding it on. Once you take that plate off, there is a cylindrical metal screen inside. You can drop it out, clean it, and put it back in. Two things. First, it can be difficult to get back installed since it wants to fall out when you try and put the plate back and if you don't have it back on square it can leak. Second, obviously the transmission should be drained before attempting this.

viking
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm assuming this should be done when you change out the tranny fluid? Asking because I'm going to be doing that in a month or so when winterizing.

Jon J
09-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks NCSUmoomba!

I assume you have a V-Drive??? My boat is an LS (DD) and my tranny is different than the V-drives but I am sure the concept is the same. I will look for this screen this weekend when I change the ATF fluid. I've changed the ATF fluid a number of times but never noticed a screen or filter of any kind. I will look for it and try and get some pictures to post. The DD transmission is very different than the V-drive...It doesn't even have water cooling. That sucker is tight to the hull and I can't wait to try and get my hands under it and try to put slippery bolts and screen back in. Better stock up on beer.

I will keep searching on the 'lubricate distributer cam' question. I'm embarrassed to say I've never even noticed a distributer cap in there. I just assumed I had electronic ignition coils like all new engines have.

kaneboats
09-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I think brain rinse or somebody posted a How To on the tranny screen. Try running a search.

NCSUmoomba
09-10-2010, 01:27 PM
No I have a DD as well. I have a 2001 Outback. It is a tight fit. I have checked mine a couple of times, but there was never any debris in it.

viking
09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
JonJ - do you have an 07 too?

brain_rinse
09-10-2010, 09:08 PM
It was doc... This should help: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10977

kaneboats
09-11-2010, 08:37 AM
I knew it was somebody with brains. Thanks!

Jon J
09-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Brain_Rinse and Doc! This helps a ton.

Viking - Yes, I have an 07 Mobius LS.

I had planned to get this done this weekend but it never happened. Is there any benefit to having run the engine first for this job? I have unfortunatley already had to winterize the boat this year to conclude the worst weather summer that never was. Still put on almost 100 hours in the rain, cold, wind, and the odd sunny day!

Jon J
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh yea....still no response from anybody on what 'lubricate distributer cam' means. Is Engine Nut still around here? He's gotta know.

NCSUmoomba
09-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I am really confused by this one. It is my assumption that this is referring to the advance on a points type ignition. I don't know if there are any Moomba's with point ingitions, they should all be electronic. What manual are you reading this in?

Jon J
09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm with you NCSU and don't believe this is applicable to our boats. This (the image from the manual I posted with my first post) is directly from the 2007 Moomba owners manual. It's available for download right from this site. I think it must be a mistake by the SC on these manuals. I think all these engines (at least all Indimars I've seen) have electronic ignition coils.

klk
09-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I found and pulled my transmission filter about a month ago on my 05 Mobius LSV. Word of advise - only remove one of the bolts and just losen the other bolt. Slide the plate out of the way. Inspect the screen and then put back into place and slide the plate back so that the screen cannot fall out. Be prepared for a lot of transmission fluid to come out. After you are finished pour a couple of buckets of water into the engine well along with some dawn soup. Mix up and then turn on your bilge pump.

DOCDRS
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
or put an aluminum tray under it to catch the residual tranny fluid....less mess