PDA

View Full Version : Trailering - Z-5 and snap cover...?

pig140
09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I've read all the threads on both of these issues and was curious on your thoughts. I bought my boat brand new 5 hours away and pulled it home at about 75mph. The dealer installed the Z-5 and never mentioned "tie down straps". He also installed the snap on cover. After I got home, I read the manual and saw where it says the snap on top is NOT for trailering.

Was I suppose to get tie down straps? Also, I posted several issues in the repair forum.

Not really trusting my dealer right now... :(

brain_rinse
09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
No worries on either account. Contact Z5 and they will send you the straps. Many people tow with the snap cover without issue. You might replace a broken snap every now and then but that's about it. I tow coverless because I don't like the rub marks on the gelcoat.

pig140
09-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the response! I tow it to the water uncovered since it's only a few miles, but I have to tow it about an hour down the interstate for service Friday. I think I'll cover at least the bow.

squeeg333
09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I would agree with Brain. I got my boat from Texas, and the guy towed it up to Washington state with the snap cover on. I've never had an issue. I try not to tow it much with the cover on, as I don't like to have to buff the scuff marks out of the gel, but that's not too big of an issue. The only other thing I worry about is the cover stretching, but, I haven't seen any issues so far. Though, I don't trailer it all that much with the cover on...

GeauxTigers
09-10-2010, 10:41 AM
If you are going to tow uncovered down the highway, take your cushions out and put them in your locker. Mine do not fit very tight at all.

zegm
09-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I've read all the threads on both of these issues and was curious on your thoughts. I bought my boat brand new 5 hours away and pulled it home at about 75mph. The dealer installed the Z-5 and never mentioned "tie down straps". He also installed the snap on cover. After I got home, I read the manual and saw where it says the snap on top is NOT for trailering.

Was I suppose to get tie down straps? Also, I posted several issues in the repair forum.

Not really trusting my dealer right now... :(

We don't have the straps for the Z-5 but if you check out this picture you can see how we tow the boat with the Z-5.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=113608#post113608

We have gotten really good at taking it off on long tows and reinstalling it when we get there.

you da man
09-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Previous Z-5 canvas had snaps on it, whereas the newer canvas has the drawstring. Mine has a couple zippers on the front and I haven't noticed that on the Moomba Z-5's I've seen, however, mine came off a Supra World's Edition which I believe has a unique and better design IMO compared to the older Z-5's.

zegm
09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Previous Z-5 canvas had snaps on it, whereas the newer canvas has the drawstring. Mine has a couple zippers on the front and I haven't noticed that on the Moomba Z-5's I've seen, however, mine came off a Supra World's Edition which I believe has a unique and better design IMO compared to the older Z-5's.

Our 2008 has zippers, drawstrings and 6 straps. Once you get the hang of it it is easy to remove and reinstall.

you da man
09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Our 2008 has zippers, drawstrings and 6 straps. Once you get the hang of it it is easy to remove and reinstall.

Think I would have to take a few pics of the canvas before removing it...just in case I forget how the string is routed. I'll double check mine for the snaps but I can't recall any off hand. I love the see through pockets on the Z-5...ingenious

zegm
09-12-2010, 03:43 PM
We have no snaps but 6 straps! Taking pictures would be a great help and keeping track of where the drawstring sections go is also helpful.

pig140
09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys! I'm gonna see how easy the canvas comes off. Towing it to water won't matter because I'm only a couple miles away and the speed never breaks 35mph. Towing for service is interstate so I may be towing without canvas or leaving it at home. If I ever take it out of town on vacation, I'll remove the canvas - after I see how easy it comes off.

I towed it this weekend about an hour for service with the snap on cover. The bow looked fine but the larger cover (cockpit cover?) bellowed out. It seems it'll probly stretch it out, which isn't a big deal since I keep it under a carport. Just don't want it to rip or damage my boat finish.