PDA

View Full Version : Outback V stalls a couple minutes after cold start

Rock Laubster
09-07-2010, 12:48 PM
2006 Outback V 310 Carb

I've owned the boat from creation and this year I've struggled with this reoccurring problem.

The last 4 or 5 trips to the lake, I've had the same problem usually after a cold start:

When I start the boat, I will sometimes idle on the boat lift a minute or so. Lately, during this idle time or shortly after as I'm heading out beyond no-wake zone, the engine will stall as though I just ran out of fuel. A half hour later after a half can of starting fluid, she suddenly starts back up and runs fine the rest of the day. The next morning, same thing.

I've replaced the fuel filter.
I treat my fuel with the blue marine sta-bil.

I'm wondering if the fuel pump is going bad? Would this be symptomatic of a bad pump?

Letting the boat sit for an hour or longer doesn't seem to help, in fact, I've even let it sit for a week just to see if she would start on her own. Typically, it comes down to a bunch of starting fluid and an undetermined amount of patience, but it's getting harder and harder to start the more this happens. Sometimes, I have a little better luck if I remove the fuel filter, blow out the fuel in the filter, reattach and start back up with with starting fluid, but this isn't dependable.

I've tried knocking on the side of the fuel pump and verified that the wires are securely attached.

I explained the problem to an Indmar tech and they're pretty insistent that it's the fuel, but I've been using the same Flying J fuel station for years, plus I've started treating it with the marine sta-bil as well.

Any other ideas?

Is it worth replacing the pump? Seems they're not that expensive and easy to replace.

Thanks for any ideas!

Jeff

Rock Laubster
09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
In case anyone runs into similar problems...

I installed a new fuel pump over the weekend and tested for an hour or so.

For the first time in several cold starts, the stall issue did not show up.

Unfortunately, I had to winterize the boat afterward, so I won't be able to
really stress it until next season. Still, she ran like new again and I've
got high hopes this resolved the problem.

If I run into the same problem next season, I'll be sure to post, but no further news
is good news on this thread.

Jeff

DOCDRS
09-27-2010, 11:56 PM
thanks for the update