PDA

View Full Version : Boat problems all Summer!

98outback
09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
It all started towards the end of April when I put my boat in the water for the first time this summer. My boat is a 2003 supra launch ssv with the inmar 325 assault TBI engine. I checked the oil before I put the boat in the water and it was good. Afte the boat warmed up I was checking over everything and checked the oil once again and noticed it now had water in it. Well long story short on that part was I had the engine replaced because of a cracked cylinder. (Dropped off in april and picked it up around the end of may.)

Ever since the engine has been replaced and this was occuring during the break in of the new engine I notified the dealer that installed the engine that it was having a hard to start problem. Also another problem where when you would return to neutral the rpms would drop to around 200 or 300 and almost stall and other times it would stall. I had none of these issues before the engine was replaced. They first said it was the fuel filter and changed that. The problem still occured after that was replaced. (Sometime in May)

Now it is july and the problem is still here and now that said my fuel was bad. So they drained the tank and filled with new gas. Long story short the problem was still there. (July)

Now still July and I took it back with teh same problem and they said the computer was showing codes (81)Inj A low/open and (81) Inj B Low/open. Said they contacted indmar and they said inj driver was bad and ecm needed replacement. They replaced the ecm and it did not correct the problem so they put the original ecm back in. Now with the original ECM back in they said it was the map sensor. They replaced that at my cost and it did not correct the problem. (Picked it up beginning of august)

Took the boat back after the weekend with the same problems and the sent some run files to indmar this time. According to an email from indmar and info from the tech that it is normal for engine rpms to drop when returning to neutral. The tech at teh dealer said they found erratic issue with ignition circuit and IAC valve wanting to stay closed not allowing idle air to bypass causing the hard to start problem. THe replace the ignition key switch and the IAC valve and Im still having the same problem.

My boat never did this before they replaced the engine and for Indmar to tell them it is normal for the engine rpms to drop that low is ridiculous. You boat should not stall out just because you are returning to neutral. Im not going to mention the dealers name at this time but am looking for advice on what my next step should be. As of right now I am in this about $7,150.00.

sandm
09-07-2010, 08:57 AM
not going to be able to help you on this one, but I would clearly seek out a different dealer. there are other manufacturers that use indmar and I am sure their service shops would look at it for a second opinion..

on a side note, I have a couple I surf with that have a 2005 sanger and are having similare issues. when you drop a rider and pull off the throttle, boat will not idle properly, dies most of the time, but when it doesn't has a real rough idle around 4-500 rpms. they have had it in 2x for service and no one seems to be able to locate the issue, but are using the "throw parts until it's fixed" mentality.. they are in the market for a different dealer.

gl....

98outback
09-07-2010, 09:02 AM
We finally have an indmar service center in my town that I just found out about. Im going to possibly take it there and see what they think. They dont sell moombas or supras but are an authorized indmar service center. They currently sale nautiques. The name of the company is beach blvd motorsports. They are located in Jacksonville, florida. Has anyone heard of or used them? I bought my 4 wheeler from them back in 2001 but they were not selling boats then. The just started doing the boat thing about 2 months ago.

sailing217
09-07-2010, 09:40 AM
"After the boat warmed up I was checking over everything and checked the oil once again and noticed it now had water in it. Well long story short on that part was I had the engine replaced because of a cracked cylinder"

Someone on our boat forum (centurioncrew) had this and it was both the cylinder and exhaust manifold cracked (water in the oil and rough running). Very well could be why your exhaust pressure is messed up and causing the boat to stall.

Good luck and i'd be looking for references for a good dealer even if it means trailering a few hours.

papou
09-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Ever since the engine has been replaced and this was occuring during the break in of the new engine I notified the dealer that installed the engine that it was having a hard to start problem. Also another problem where when you would return to neutral the rpms would drop to around 200 or 300 and almost stall and other times it would stall. I had none of these issues before the engine was replaced.

Was this a short block ,every thing from your old engine had to be installed on new engine if so one of the components was probably not installed correctly.
I`m thinking something with the timing with the engine even tho the 325 TBI is a fixed timing if it is to retarded it will cause this sort of thing.
JUST THINKING OUT LOUD

cdonson
09-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I had my boat serviced down at lake area watersports, it's about one hour south of Jacksonville. I don't know of any service here in Jax.

98outback
09-09-2010, 06:25 AM
It was replaced with a new engine that already had the heads but my accessories had to be reused and also the intake and tbi. Beach Blvd Motorsports on Beach Blvd in jacksonville is now a nautique dealer and also indmar certified.