PDA

View Full Version : New Member, New boat.... maybe

Nebster
09-05-2010, 10:48 AM
hey guys,

Thought i'd introduce myself. I am a engineer from chicago ish area (plainfield) and am looking into a moomba xlv. I have been away from the water for so long that now that i am somewhat successful i have decided to make a boat purchase. I do have a couple of questions though.

1. is my boat even going to fit in my garage?

24 foot deep, 7 foot door, full 2.5 car garage. I'm worried about height, not necessarily depth because i can angle it.

2. How is the XLV for wake surfing. This is something i definately want to get into.

3. what are the best aftermarket mods that people do. Things on my list are for sure the following:
a. lights, i love night boarding, it is a must for choppy rivers / lakes
b. hot shower, i want to be able to get the most out of my boat
c. upgraded stereo

4. thanks for all the info, i've been searching around a lot and you guys are a wealth of knowledge, i look forward to getting to know you all.

DOCDRS
09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
welcome to the forum...........

height may all depend on which tower you get, I know my 09 21v with the tower folded will still not clear my garage door. the new towers may fold down with a lower head height you should go to a dealer and check it out yourself , unless someone else on here can give ya their exact measure which I'm sure will pop up , for surfing you will want to upgrade to the 1100 lb bag

Nebster
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
sounds good, its got the factory gravity III balast but yeah i'll upgrade for sure. at least on the back. With that and the wake plate it should throw out a huge wake.

Hopefully i can get some measurements. The dealer is 2 hours away and i don't really want to make a unnecessary trip but i may have to.

wolfeman131
09-05-2010, 11:24 PM
welcome and hope you get it all worked out.

check out what "you da man" has done with sacking out his XLV.

deafgoose
09-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Upgrade the sprinklers and cut your fill times in half!

This should be the 1st mod on these boats. :)

Nebster
09-06-2010, 10:25 AM
well unfortunately the deal fell threw on the xlv. Its kind of depressing but whatever, i guess the hunt is back on.

deerfield
09-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Nebster - Maybe you should take a look at the Outback V model? I have no first-hand knowledge of any boat in the Moomba lineup except my Outback DD. But, I have read here on the forum that the Outback V is shorter (might help with your garage space limitation) and is an excellent wake surf boat (which is something you say you want to get into). With an Outback V you can still make all the mods on your list: lights, shower, and stereo upgrade. I suspect that all things being equal, you will spend less money on the purchase of an Outback V compared to an XLV. By the way, I, too, live in the Chicago area. I'm north of you in Deerfield. - Deerfield

Nebster
09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
great info. I'll have to check it out. Where do you go boating at? i have the kankakee down here but i think you have many more lakes up there.

the OBV seems to be a decent boat i'll have to look into it a lot more.

I can get an OBV for cheaper and do mods or get a 2007+ XLV or a 2005+ malibu VLX for all around the same price. Obviously the VLX is the most expensive and the most boat and will fit in my garage but i should really take the time to research the OBV. The one downside to the OBV is space for ballasts. But i'll have to check it out.

KSmith
09-06-2010, 05:51 PM
OBV, good choice.

kaneboats
09-06-2010, 06:48 PM
You better be really careful on the Kankakee with an inboard. I knocked at least 10 props over the years with I/O and Outboards out there. Talk to the guys that go to the Fox River or chain of lakes.

Nebster
09-06-2010, 10:15 PM
One of my best friends has a SAN and is on the kankakee all the time. With a good depth finder and a knowledge of where all the stumps are i should be ok. But good heads up.

You from the area?

deerfield
09-07-2010, 12:03 AM
great info. I'll have to check it out. Where do you go boating at? i have the kankakee down here but i think you have many more lakes up there.

the OBV seems to be a decent boat i'll have to look into it a lot more.

I can get an OBV for cheaper and do mods or get a 2007+ XLV or a 2005+ malibu VLX for all around the same price. Obviously the VLX is the most expensive and the most boat and will fit in my garage but i should really take the time to research the OBV. The one downside to the OBV is space for ballasts. But i'll have to check it out.

Nebster - Keep our boat on a small lake in Wisconsin. Drive time from house to pier is an hour. I know where every Dairy Queen, Starbucks, Baskin Robins, Taco Bell, and Burger King is along the way, and there is more than one route to the lake. I tried river boating but found it unpredictable and strewn with debris, so decided on a lake for our boat. But as they say, even a bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office. So if you got a boat and the river close by, then life is good. - Deerfield

kaneboats
09-07-2010, 08:30 AM
One of my best friends has a SAN and is on the kankakee all the time. With a good depth finder and a knowledge of where all the stumps are i should be ok. But good heads up.

You from the area?

Grew up in Joliet and Plainfield part time and S. Fla the rest of the time. It's not stumps but rocks that are the problem. The ice in the winter moves the rocks around so you have to find them again every spring. We had a place on the K. river and I spent all summer there every year as a kid. Just moved back south 6 yrs ago.