PDA

View Full Version : Sprinker Valve Question

cpatten
09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I am mechanically challenged and need pull my sprinkler valves apart because they are auto filling my ballast tanks. Does anybody have a schematic or a website I could go to that diagrams the valves? I am trying to see what it looks like inside before I pull it apart. I know I saw some old post about cleaning algae and other debris out of it. Thank you in advance for the help!

viking
09-01-2010, 03:18 PM
There really isn't much too them. I think 6 screws to pull the valve apart and there will be a rubber flap in there?? I've had mine apart a few times trying to fix. The selenoid can be unscrewed and there will be a spring in there that you need to watch for. I tried several times to repair mine and ended up putting a new one in for $12 from Home Depot or Lowes. Worked for a day and now it's auto filling. They are junk in my opinion. I need a new solution!

supereclipse
09-01-2010, 03:19 PM
I think there is about 8 screws on top, but once u get it apart u will see its super ez to figure out. I pulled mine apart and it all looked fine, but still leaked so went and picked up a new one at lowes for like 13 bux solved my problem.

you da man
09-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Replace them with the Irritrol 700 valve. The Orbit valves at Lowes and Home Depot are up and over valves whereas the Irritrol is a straight thru

mnpracing
09-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Do the Irritrol valves have a similar on/off switch to prevent filling without the switch on?

cpatten
09-01-2010, 03:47 PM
You da man, yes per your previous instructions all of the valves are set to off, but the back two tanks are still filling auto filling.

kaneboats
09-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Try to break it so you have to buy an Irritrol 700 series valve instead.

cpatten
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Hey Kane boats, on a serious note is it worth just pulling all the valves and upgrading them. I not really into dealing with faulty valves.

jmvotto
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Jesse C has instructions on the irritol valves in his how to section.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10483&highlight=ballast

cpatten
09-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks everyone, it looks like I am going to be replacing some sprinkler valves this weekend, Irritrol 700 here I come.

cpatten
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
on the Irritol 700, I just Googled it, there is more than one size. Anyone know off the top of their head which one it is? 3/4", 1",1 1/2" or 2" Boat isn't stored at my house were I can just take a quick look at the orbits.

viking
09-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I think all the factory stuff if 3/4??

Where is the best place to buy the irritol 700? Sprinkler supply stores?

you da man
09-01-2010, 05:04 PM
3/4" Irritrol 700 and Sprinklerwarehouse had them to me in a couple days.
Your fill times will decrease as well because it's a straight thru valve

viking
09-01-2010, 05:24 PM

I didn't think they could take ANY longer :)

So this valve alone with the stock pumps will solve the water "leak through" problem?

And to shorten fill times we would need to replace the pump and/or go to 1inch lines (or both)?

you da man
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I didn't think they could take ANY longer :)

So this valve alone with the stock pumps will solve the water "leak through" problem?

And to shorten fill times we would need to replace the pump and/or go to 1inch lines (or both)?

This was my first mod to my boat. There's nothing to remove or replace except the stock Orbit valve. It fits the stock manifold connections as well.

kaneboats
09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I built a new manifold (1" PVC pipe) with a second water inlet. I put a "T" on the intake and added a second Rule pump. I put an Irritrol 700 series valve (3/4") on the outlet line to the surf bag (750). I can fill my surf bag in about 7 min.

deafgoose
09-02-2010, 05:38 PM
3/4" Irritrol 700 and Sprinklerwarehouse had them to me in a couple days.

This one?

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-IR-700B-75-3-4-UltraFlow-Plastic-Valve-p/ir-700b-75.htm

cab13367
09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Yes, that's the one. I have one going to my front bag and it prevents both autofill and autodrain issues.

deafgoose
09-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, that's the one. I have one going to my front bag and it prevents both autofill and autodrain issues.

Sweet. I just ordered 3 of them. Can't wait to swap em out!

kaneboats
09-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I think you're going to like 'em.

deafgoose
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I think you're going to like 'em.

I will post up how long it takes to fill all 3 bags with the original Orbit valves and then replace them with the new Irritrol valves and see how much the fill times decrease. :D

you da man
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
I will post up how long it takes to fill all 3 bags with the original Orbit valves and then replace them with the new Irritrol valves and see how much the fill times decrease. :D

You will notice a decrease in fill times when filling 3 sacs, however, how often do you fill 3 sacs all at once in a day? You will notice the difference in filling one side like when you surf since the pump will be dedicated to that one sac. Also, when wakeboarding, once your center sac is filled all you're going to be doing is slightly filling or draining rear sacs to tweak the wake. Personally, I did the mod to decrease filling times for surfing...not to decrease filling all 3 sacs. I'm pretty sure that I'll never be at the level of wakeboarding to need to fill all 3 sacs to capacity.

deafgoose
09-03-2010, 12:43 PM
You will notice a decrease in fill times when filling 3 sacs, however, how often do you fill 3 sacs all at once in a day? You will notice the difference in filling one side like when you surf since the pump will be dedicated to that one sac. Also, when wakeboarding, once your center sac is filled all you're going to be doing is slightly filling or draining rear sacs to tweak the wake. Personally, I did the mod to decrease filling times for surfing...not to decrease filling all 3 sacs. I'm pretty sure that I'll never be at the level of wakeboarding to need to fill all 3 sacs to capacity.

Every time I go wakeboarding I fill all 3 ballast bags at the same time.

Sometimes I add another 1325lbs from external bags to make the wake even bigger. lol

I hardly never surf anymore. ;)

you da man
09-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Every time I go wakeboarding I fill all 3 ballast bags at the same time.

Sometimes I add another 1325lbs from external bags to make the wake even bigger. lol

I hardly never surf anymore. ;)

I can see filling the Outback V but the weight on my XLV even empty is pretty big (even my buddy who's family owns an X-Star says it's a nice rampy wake). I've never filled my ballast full for wakeboarding...although I think it would be fun just to see what it looks like. That would be 3,000lbs of hidden ballast

deafgoose
09-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I can see filling the Outback V but the weight on my XLV even empty is pretty big (even my buddy who's family owns an X-Star says it's a nice rampy wake). I've never filled my ballast full for wakeboarding...although I think it would be fun just to see what it looks like. That would be 3,000lbs of hidden ballast

DO IT!!!!

You might need to go 24-25MPH to clean up the wake with all that weight but I bet it would still be fun.

deafgoose
09-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I got my valves today. Can't wait for the weather to improve so that I can install them!

http://www.petsandbeyond.ca/valves.jpg

kaneboats
09-09-2010, 01:26 PM
You're half way there. Looking forward to seeing your results.

cab13367
09-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Yes, please do this and make sure the test conditions are absolutely identical other than the valves. I have a feeling they don't make as much of an improvement as everyone thinks but I hope I'm wrong.

Al

deafgoose
09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes, please do this and make sure the test conditions are absolutely identical other than the valves. I have a feeling they don't make as much of an improvement as everyone thinks but I hope I'm wrong.

Al

I am going to use a stop watch to time how long it takes to fill all 3 bags and each bag separately with the stock valves. I will replace the valves and do the same test with the new valves and post up my results.

jmvotto
09-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I am going to use a stop watch to time how long it takes to fill all 3 bags and each bag separately with the stock valves. I will replace the valves and do the same test with the new valves and post up my results.

awesome.. can't wait to see the results