PDA

View Full Version : Hit the rudder with the prop.......again!!!

wolfstone
09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I have a Moomba Mobius V 2000.

Rotary steering installed with cable and all the required components.

I have now hit my prop twice with the rudder. (costing me $200 per time)

Basically you can over steer my rudder so that there is collision......

There are no stops in the steering movement...it just gets tighter towards each rotation end.

Anyone know how i can prevent this......i have thought about installing a rack and gear type steering system....?

Or somehow locate stops into the hull?

Any advice gratefully received....;-)

Razzman
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Well i'm no expert on what came on a '00 Mobius V but it definately sounds like a component is incorrect in your steering. I don't know nor have i heard of rotary steering either, rack & pinion maybe? Did you replace steering components? If so it sounds like the wrong parts were replaced. I have NEVER heard of anyone hitting the rudder with the prop, but if the wrong steering components were installed i could see it happening.

kaneboats
09-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I think we all have rotary. We're like a rotary club.

lewisb13
09-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Maybe put some hose clamps somewhere as stops?

VA LSV
09-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Sounds like your steering cable is too long. Don't know what was standard in 00 but my 05 has rack & pinion.

wolfstone
09-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Mobius V around 2000 was standard rotary steering type, not rack and pinion.

Has anyone any experience of changing from rotary to rack and pinion?

Maybe my steering cable is too long ..... i will check it this weekend....last weekend of the season here, then have to wait until mid april to get out again!! ;-(

snowboardcorey
09-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Are you sure your boat has the right drive shaft? It seems odd that the prop would ever hit the rudder unless the prop was physically to close it.

wolfstone
09-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Its the correct shaft.......

My guess is the dealer sold me the wrong steering cable.......its the only logical explanation.....too long.

I will contact Moomba direct for the recommended part number and length.