PDA

View Full Version : Access cover for excess bilge water

mnpracing
09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
This issue has been tossed around the forums before, but on my 08 LSV and my old 06 OBV, water would accumulate below the gas tank. It is difficult, but not impossible to get out, because it seems to sit below the level of the bilge in the v-drive compartment. On the LSV, I pulled up one section of the floor and used my shop vac to get the water out. The curious thing is that there is an donut hole down the middle of hte gas tank , so it seems like there was some foresight that water would accumulate here, but SC chose not to put a drain plug or a second bilge pump there (until 2011 that is). I am considering installing a 6" in round hatch cover in the section of the floor that covers this access hole in the gas tank, then it would be easy to shopvac the water out after each outing.

you da man
09-01-2010, 11:51 AM
That's a good idea. A couple years ago a buddy of mine who has s very large man-cave of a shop on his property decided to buy a broken down forklift. I laughed when he bought it and he repaired it himself. That forklift comes in handy because I use it to lift the tongue of the trailer to drain that extra water under the floor

cab13367
09-02-2010, 09:01 PM
This issue has been tossed around the forums before, but on my 08 LSV and my old 06 OBV, water would accumulate below the gas tank. It is difficult, but not impossible to get out, because it seems to sit below the level of the bilge in the v-drive compartment. On the LSV, I pulled up one section of the floor and used my shop vac to get the water out. The curious thing is that there is an donut hole down the middle of hte gas tank , so it seems like there was some foresight that water would accumulate here, but SC chose not to put a drain plug or a second bilge pump there (until 2011 that is). I am considering installing a 6" in round hatch cover in the section of the floor that covers this access hole in the gas tank, then it would be easy to shopvac the water out after each outing.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing but I would take it one step further and add a second drain plug there with a t-handle just like the new boats.