PDA

View Full Version : Prop wont come off. I even broke a prop puller!

deafgoose
08-31-2010, 12:25 AM
I hit a log about 1 month ago with my OJ 14.25x14 prop. I did not have a spare so my buddy lent me his spare OJ 13.7x17.

I used a hammer to remove my prop but I did not want to risk any damage to my friends prop so I decided to use his OJ Prop Puller. The prop is on there so tight, I actually snapped the tip right off the puller that goes on the end of the shaft!!!

I ordered a new OJ Prop Puller from skidim and I also ordered an OJ Prop Knocker. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ1146
Economical option to the traditional prop puller. Simply screw it on in place of your prop nut and give it a knock with a hammer.

I was not sure why I would want to hammer the prop onto the shaft but apparently this could work so I am willing to try anything.

I am attempting all of this under water. Pulling my boat out to swap the prop is not really an option to me right now. I also don't think it would help me any because its so easy to work on the boat under water. :)

Any tips on removing this prop would be greatly appreciated! :D

mnpracing
08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
It's worked for me to repeat 2 steps: 1. tighten prop puller nut - just snug it up good, don't put too much force on it, and 2. tap end of puller with mallet/hammer. Then repeat. It only takes 2 cycles of this at the most, and just gentle taps with the mallet/hammer. The first time I removed my prop I did not do step 2 and I thought I was going to break something.

papou
08-31-2010, 10:18 AM
i did the same as mnpracing but i used a brass hammer came off within two hits .

sandm
08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
problem is doing this in the water. last time I tried to swing a hammer in the water, it resulted in limited success..

good luck :)

personally, I'd try to "rent" someone elses' trailer at the boat ramp for an hour to do it. any competition ski boat trailer would work for a makeshift mobile workbench and bet you would find someone that would help out for some cash/beer..

deafgoose
08-31-2010, 11:19 AM
It seems the "prop knocker" that I purchased works on harmonic vibrations. I might not even need to use the prop puller the way people talk about these online.

deafgoose
08-31-2010, 11:20 AM
problem is doing this in the water. last time I tried to swing a hammer in the water, it resulted in limited success..

good luck :)

personally, I'd try to "rent" someone elses' trailer at the boat ramp for an hour to do it. any competition ski boat trailer would work for a makeshift mobile workbench and bet you would find someone that would help out for some cash/beer..

Not many wakeboard boats on my river unfortunately.

I was able to remove my original prop with a hammer under water so I am pretty confident with using the "prop knocker" now.

papou
08-31-2010, 11:49 AM
If u used a puller and it broke the knocker may not work .I started with the knocker and my prop would not come off i needed to put tension on the prop with a puller and knock it with a hammer.

deafgoose
08-31-2010, 03:02 PM
If u used a puller and it broke the knocker may not work .I started with the knocker and my prop would not come off i needed to put tension on the prop with a puller and knock it with a hammer.

If the knocker does not work, I will use the puller, then tighten it up and knock on it a few times. Hopefully that will be enough.

kaneboats
08-31-2010, 05:49 PM
A salty old fella once told me that using the prop knocker actually sends a vibration up the shaft and when it comes back down it jars the prop loose. Then again, he also told me a few fish stories that sounded a bit incredible.

cab13367
09-01-2010, 06:56 PM
deaf,

I had this same problem. What I did is put the prop puller on and cranked on it pretty tight. Then I got behind the prop and gave the back of the prop puller a couple of whacks with a hammer and it popped right off. This is the same as mnpracing advised.

Al

deafgoose
09-01-2010, 07:21 PM
deaf,

I had this same problem. What I did is put the prop puller on and cranked on it pretty tight. Then I got behind the prop and gave the back of the prop puller a couple of whacks with a hammer and it popped right off. This is the same as mnpracing advised.

Al

I will do that for sure.

The new prop pullers were shipped today. Woot!