PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Ballast

viking
08-30-2010, 07:05 PM
After a few questions I've decided to post what I've done to my "red-neck ballast system". Keep in mind its a DD so can't hide the bags and can only get so much hose/pumps, valves squeezed in. Ok - so here is what I've done so far to modify my ballast set up.

1.) Utilized the factory pump, sprinkler valve, and ballast switch on the dash

2.) added a T to the fill line under the rear locker along the gas tank

3.) drilled another hole for the side sack (fill only) on the port side. There was a 300lb sack with the factory system and 3 holes (fill, vent, drain)

4.) installed 2 valves in the rear locker to control which bag gets filled. This helps ensure that they don't fill automatically while running and/or the boat doesn't fill with water when bags are removed. The main valve is in the doghouse but a pita to have to open it up and reach under the belts/pullies everytime I want to fill the sacs. Now I can just open the rear locker and open one or the other or both and leave the main valve open. The sprinkler valves are notorious for letting in water :confused: I've replaced the thing once and still problematic. The next step is going to be to scrap the stock pump system for something better.

5.) Added a 750lb rear seat sack to replace the stock bag. Connect the fill, vent, and drain lines. Fill controlled by the valve on the starboard side. Folds up and fits under the rear seat when empty and not in use.

6.) Added a 400lb V-drive side sack that I throw next to the doghouse when trying to surf. Have a 3-4ft long fill hose with quick fittings on both ends. Fill controlled by the valve in the rear locker on the port side.

7.) Have the stock 300lb bag that I've replaced the fittings so I can fill with the Tsunami pump and throw it in the bow walkthrough.

Points of note.....I can still use the Tsunami pump on all bags if I want to fill them quicker. The plumbing allows me to fill the rear sack and/or side sack individually or at the same time. Yes it takes awhile but handy to use the stock ballast switch to fill while floating and doesn't bother me much YET. Valves are handy and easy to reach. Emptying the side sack is done with the tsunami pump while the rear sack is emptied with the stock setup.

stock bag
rear seat sac
starboard valve in rear locker (another one on port side)
rear bag tucked away
both rear and side sacs plumbed and ready

viking
08-30-2010, 07:12 PM
rear bag and side sac in use
rear sack plumbing lines tucked in on starboard side (fill line up and into the rear locker/valve/and back down to bag, empty line to pump and out through hull
stock pump and sprinkler valve (TAKING SUGGESTIONS ON "EASY" REPLACEMENT FOR MY SYSTEM) :)

newty
08-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Sweet! Thats not redneck thats resourceful! Awesome job Viking!

sandm
08-31-2010, 08:20 AM
looks good..

I have contemplated doing the 3-pump upgrade, but something about bobbing on the lake enjoying an "adult beverage" while the bags fill is filling..

kaneboats
08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Looks pretty good. Now let's see that wake!

viking
08-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Looks pretty good. Now let's see that wake!

:) ha ha.......I'll try and get some this weekend. Been fighting the weather up here all year long!

jmvotto
08-31-2010, 04:43 PM
nice job, ballast projects are fun aren't they....

kaneboats
08-31-2010, 05:51 PM
:) ha ha.......I'll try and get some this weekend. Been fighting the weather up here all year long!

Where are you? Montana? I've heard of it. It's up in Canada, right?

KurtL
09-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Where are you? Montana? I've heard of it. It's up in Canada, right?

Viking I hear you brother, cool, windy summer. Don't listen to these guys from the south, they are in dry suits until the air+water temp is above 140;)

Kane, no matter however thermally challanged you guys are in Florida, you still are crazy enough to get in the water with the gators. For that you have my respect!

newty
09-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Viking I hear you brother, cool, windy summer. Don't listen to these guys from the south, they are in dry suits until the air+water temp is above 140;)

Kane, no matter however thermally challanged you guys are in Florida, you still are crazy enough to get in the water with the gators. For that you have my respect!

That there is funny! Its definitely been a rough... (I don't know if I would even call it) summer here in the northwest.

Heres to some nice fall riding! Cheers!

kaneboats
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Kurt, you come on down and visit any old time. Water stays warm a long time here after we sweat in it all summer.

viking
09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
stock pump and sprinkler valve (TAKING SUGGESTIONS ON "EASY" REPLACEMENT FOR MY SYSTEM) :)

Got me an Irritol Ultra Flow Through valve to replace and ditch the stock orbit valve. That should do the trick for now.

viking
10-02-2010, 06:17 PM
going to wire in my new irrotol flow through. Can't tell which wire on the selenoid is positive/negative. Does it matter?