PDA

View Full Version : Never know who you'll run into on the water

Brianinpdx
08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Funny story to share with all -

Last Thurs-Sun, I took a much needed break and went camping with the family up in NW, on Mayfield Lake near Mossy rock WA. All in all a great time. funny thing was, I took my three kids out fishing for the day, up early and out late on my 14 foot SmokerCraft. It's perfect to haul up to mountain lakes and my wife can load the crap outta it for all her extra camping stuff.

So, I digress.... about 11am the first Mastercraft just crushes us with wake even in the shallows, and I get a full on taste of what its like to be on the other side of the game. It wasnt pretty, but we suck it up and get on with fishing. In the afternoon, I see a couple of Moomba's rafted up in the middle of the lake having a good time but something was wrong with their audio setup because I could hear the towers cutting in and out from the distance.

That evening on the dock, we pull up, kids in toe and I see the same guys. This time the boats are quiet and theres some arguments happening. So, the funny part is my 7 year old daughter walks down the dock and climbs right up on this LSV and says, "my daddy can fix that for you". The guy looks at her and says, "eh?" so she replies, " your stereo didnt sound to good on the water and my dad can fix that for you." Oh boy, so I introduce myself and 10 mins later realize I've just surrounded myself with 2 Moomba's and 1 Nautique that all want help. After about 2 hours of laying hands on the boats, they had a total (between them all), 5 blown cabin speakers, amplifiers gained all the way up, 1 blown tower, and one of the boats even had 10 gauge power cable running his amplifier. THATS A LOT OF BLOWN STUFF MAN!

Anyway, I did what I could, rewired some stuff, re tunned where I could and sent them all on the way. I even loaned one guy a pair of XM7's and he had a smile ear to ear.

The best part of the story is.... the next day, everyone of the 12 or so wake boats on that lake came off plane, slowed down and gave us courtesy waves as they passed by me and the kids. I guess news travels fast on the lake.

It was nice to make some new friends. And it was nice not eating wake. good times for all.

Cheers,

-Brian
Exile Audio

New Guy
08-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Nice hopefully it gets you some business in the future. Were the Moomba owners part of the forum?

Brianinpdx
08-30-2010, 06:43 PM
No, I dont they are forum guys. Actually I was surprised how many boats out there on the water that had naked towers. Very surprised. but honestly, it was just good to help some guys out. Even if it was on my mini family vacation.

-Brian

newty
08-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Great story Brian. Funny how you always get sucked in. 10ga wire, classic!

thesack
08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I see a future in sales for your daughter. Great story. And don't worry your days of fixing boat stereos is not over, will have mine to fix as well. That is if i ever get the thing back.

sandm
08-31-2010, 07:37 AM
nice story. amazing how quickly good karma travels :)
you can bet those guys told everyone they ran into about you over the next few days, and betting every person that climbs on their boats in the next few months will hear about your "tuning clinic"

you are correct on the naked tower thing. there's a lot of boats out there that don't have anything on them that are ripe for marketing. might not sell them 4 hlcd's and an amp, but a nice set of 6.5's in cans and a small amp would be a good marketing ploy, especially for the families with the bayliners and fourwinns that don't seem to push tower speakers.