PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Rudder

nibots
08-27-2010, 11:59 AM
The steering has gotten really stiff on my 03 Outback LSV this summer. It gets a little easier as the day goes on. In the 3 years I have owned the boat I have never lubed the rudder. I noticed the zirc fitting on the rudder when I removed the water pump earlier this year. Do you think that lubeing the rudder will help or is it maybe a bigger problem?

zegm
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM
The steering has gotten really stiff on my 03 Outback LSV this summer. It gets a little easier as the day goes on. In the 3 years I have owned the boat I have never lubed the rudder. I noticed the zirc fitting on the rudder when I removed the water pump earlier this year. Do you think that lubeing the rudder will help or is it maybe a bigger problem?

I would try that first and if that doesn't help it might be the cable is going bad.

MEDIC151
08-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I tried the grease zerk as well on my 02 Outback LS. It didn't do anything, I ended up replacing the steering cable myself. Not too hard and it saved me a ton of money. Since they are not made of stainless steel anymore, they go bad when water gets in the cable. Mine was like trying to steer a car with a bad power steering pump.

moomba wannabe
08-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Replaced the steering cable on my 05 Outback. Night and day difference. Pretty easy to do and is most likely the problem.

maxpower220
08-28-2010, 05:32 PM
I noticed the zirc fitting on the rudder when I removed the water pump earlier this year. Do you think that lubeing the rudder will help or is it maybe a bigger problem?

You should lube this once per season to ensure that you don't have issue later in time.

It may or may not help now, but it is free to try.

zegm
08-28-2010, 07:45 PM
I tried the grease zerk as well on my 02 Outback LS. It didn't do anything, I ended up replacing the steering cable myself. Not too hard and it saved me a ton of money. Since they are not made of stainless steel anymore, they go bad when water gets in the cable. Mine was like trying to steer a car with a bad power steering pump.

I would say that the cables on the Moombas aren't made of Stainless Steel, they still come that way on other boats. (Natique).

Ian Brantford
08-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Does anyone have a part number and source for a replacement cable? I've the same issue with my 2005 XLV.

Thanks in advance.

zegm
08-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have a part number and source for a replacement cable? I've the same issue with my 2005 XLV.

Thanks in advance.

When my cable goes I am going to call Teleflex/Morse and see if they can supply me with the old style heavy duty cable that lasted for over 30 years on my old MasterCraft.

jdlowe72
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Replaced the steering cable on my 05 Outback. Night and day difference. Pretty easy to do and is most likely the problem.

How did you determine what cable to get? did you get it from the dealer or on-line? I have a 2004 Outback and it is worse than sawing a tree. any help would be great

JesseC
09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
How did you determine what cable to get? did you get it from the dealer or on-line? I have a 2004 Outback and it is worse than sawing a tree. any help would be great

I got mine from the dealer the first time and the price was fairly close to the online prices. The second time I ordered it online because I had the old part # off of the box. I think our boats run the same cable, but I would call Teleflex and confirm.

02 LSV - Steering Calbe - Teleflex SSC13418 (The last two digits are the cable length, seems like the xlv takes a 20 as the last two digits.)