PDA

View Full Version : Tightening a rudder?

70Chevelle
08-26-2010, 02:51 PM
A friend of mine has a 2007 Outback V and he asked me if I would be able to help him tighten the rudder, he says that there is play in it that was not there before. I have little experience with boats so im trying to find out if this is something that is possible and if what all is needed?

Thanks

kaneboats
08-26-2010, 03:07 PM
It really depends. If the rudder port (a kind of bushing) is worn, then there is no tightening. It will take replacing parts. However, if there is play at the end of the steering cable you may be able to do something about it. It will require a close inspection with one of you moving the wheel and/or the rudder and the other watching what happens.

70Chevelle
08-26-2010, 03:33 PM
From what I can tell its not a linkage issue, there is movement front to back and left to right. It doesnt seem excessive to me but he assures me that there did not used to be any play in it and that he can feel some vabration through the steering wheel

zegm
08-26-2010, 04:58 PM
From what I can tell its not a linkage issue, there is movement front to back and left to right. It doesnt seem excessive to me but he assures me that there did not used to be any play in it and that he can feel some vabration through the steering wheel

The rudder passes throught a bronze bushing called a rudder port. Seems like yours may be worn. You also have to believe that the rudder is also worn. This is best handled by the dealer unless you can live with the vibration which could be from something else like dinged prop. Check out the prices, and yes I have had to do this with an older ski boat.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=86215F

lewisb13
08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
2007 and the bushing is already worn? How many hours?

70Chevelle
08-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Im not sure on the hours, I dont think its a lot, I know all he really does is surf behind it, what are the chances of this being the issue? what else should we look for?

zegm
08-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Im not sure on the hours, I dont think its a lot, I know all he really does is surf behind it, what are the chances of this being the issue? what else should we look for?

My rudder would swing way over to one side and back to the other BUT I didn't have vibration in the steering wheel. With something being a little loose like this (rudder)it is NOT a good path for vibration anyway. And it took 20+ years for mine to wear out. I would be looking for dings or small dents in the prop.