PDA

View Full Version : get to try surfing tonight for the first time....

saskyrider
08-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Well, i picked up a surfboard yesterday (Obrien Alias 4'6") and were going out tonight to try it out. I have factory ballast (300 in each corner and 300 in the floor nothing in front) and i'm wondering what i should be doing for a good surf wake.... ie: wakeplate positioning?? speed?? how should i fill my ballast??

We will have 3 adults in the boat and several small kids.

thanks

geoff

p.s. i have an 05 Mobius LSV

lewisb13
08-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Interested to hear the responses as well~!

saskyrider
08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
i'm thinking full front and driver side ballast plus have the adults on the driver side... not sure where to put the wakeplate tho..

deafgoose
08-26-2010, 12:27 PM
If you ride "goofy" (right foot foreward) you will want to fill the drivers side ballast.

Most wakeboard boats have props that spin to the left so the wake sucks for goofy riders.

Good luck!

2007 Outback V
08-26-2010, 12:28 PM
You have the same hull as me. I find I get the best curl with the wake plate 3/4 up. Play with it a little and watch the wave before start surfing. Good luck and have fun.

sandm
08-26-2010, 12:51 PM
go out and have fun experimenting with it, but as you asked what to do to have a good wave, add more weight. put 750's in the back and that will make a huge difference. you'll get a decent wake with what you have, but it'll get more fun with more weight :)

saskyrider
08-26-2010, 01:01 PM
go out and have fun experimenting with it, but as you asked what to do to have a good wave, add more weight. put 750's in the back and that will make a huge difference. you'll get a decent wake with what you have, but it'll get more fun with more weight :)

I have the 750's on the way!! :) but they won't be here until friday...

I am goofy foot so maybe we'll try the passenger side instead...

geoff

lewisb13
08-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I have the 750's on the way!! :) but they won't be here until friday...

I am goofy foot so maybe we'll try the passenger side instead...

geoff

Which 750s did you get and where did you purchase them? Cheers. Not many 05 LSVs on here, good to have a another boat like mine!

you da man
08-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Riding heelside is tricky. Fill the surf side, put the adults on the surfside (probably a couple on the deck) and put the kids in the bow

cab13367
08-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, i picked up a surfboard yesterday (Obrien Alias 4'6") and were going out tonight to try it out. I have factory ballast (300 in each corner and 300 in the floor nothing in front) and i'm wondering what i should be doing for a good surf wake.... ie: wakeplate positioning?? speed?? how should i fill my ballast??

We will have 3 adults in the boat and several small kids.

thanks

geoff

p.s. i have an 05 Mobius LSV

Since you are goofy, it's way easier to surf front side so fil the driver's side rear ballast, leave the passenger side ballast empty, and fill the front ballast. Then put your heaviest person in the rear surf side corner seat, the next heaviest next to him and so forth, working your way towards the front of the boat. The goal is to get your boat to list (lean) as much as possible. From there, more weight up front means a longer pocket but shorter (in height) wave, more weight in the rear means a taller (height) but shorter (length) pocket.

On my 2006 LSV, which is a different hull than the 2005, I run 10 mph, wakeplate all the way up.

Start with the above, then experiment with speed and wakeplate setting until you get the wave you want.

And be sure to take pics and post them up afterwards!

Some of us can surf with zero ballast so spend some time surfing and figuring it out rather than adding thousands of lbs of ballast to try and get the biggest wave. Work on the technique first and don't be in a hurry to throw the rope in.

You're in for a treat!

Al

saskyrider
08-26-2010, 04:21 PM
I got the high fly 750's as they mate up with what i currently have in the boat.

Bad news.... the guy bringing my prop out of the city won't make it out until tomorrow morning....:( so no surfing tonight.... i am ordering an extra prop today!!!!

Geoff

saskie99
08-26-2010, 06:16 PM
This 750 in the corner, 400lbs ski locker 350 bow, wakeplate all the way up 4 people.

The wave just gets better and longer the more people I put in but this is the normal surf wave. I can do 360s on it ( not all the time)

T100
08-26-2010, 06:32 PM
What prop are you getting? I'm thinking of changing mine from the four blade stainless. This is full factory ballast, both sides full and center full , no wake plate. Nine in the boat, if I don't have people, I need it get 750 lbs, next year!!

saskyrider
08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I'll just get another stock prop.... 13.75 X 17.25 OJ theres lots for sale used cheap...

geoff

saskyrider
08-26-2010, 06:43 PM
My 2 750lb high fly fat sac's showed up a day early so i will switch out the 300's for the 750's and put the 300 in the nose...

geoff

T100
08-26-2010, 07:05 PM
If you go tonight let me know how it goes and what speed you are going. I was up to 12mph the other day to clean the wake up. I'm getting a lot of white wash at the lower speeds.

saskie99
08-26-2010, 11:24 PM
12 is way to fast! Is your speedo dialed in with gps? I am thinking it is out.

you da man
08-27-2010, 12:16 AM

He said he had 9 people in the boat so maybe that's about right depending on where they were positioned. I have a different boat but I know when I'm maxed out I can ride at anywhere between 11-14mph

cab13367
08-27-2010, 12:34 AM
He has the opposite side ballast full as well so maybe that's why he has to go faster to clean it up. That's a nice looking wave though!

sandm
08-27-2010, 09:26 AM

rode a few weeks ago with a pro sponsored rider. he likes 14mph in a sacked-out enzo..

saskie99
08-27-2010, 10:30 AM
the key word is pro sponsered rider. Just curious, how much weight? The enzo also has the thing that is like the wedge ( just cant remember the name). Did you take some pics of the wave?

dusty2221
08-27-2010, 10:54 AM
We ride at 12 in our boat every outing.

sandm
08-27-2010, 10:59 AM
no pics, that is the speed he rides in the contests. I wasn't there. he kept asking me to speed up and speed up, but of course my wake looks NOTHING like an enzo's at 14. he had to "settle" for mine at 10.5mph. on the sponsored side, he said at this stage of wakesurfing, with it being still new, that anyone that can spin consistent 360's and catch 2-3ft of air off a lip can get a sponsorship. as the sport ages and new tricks come out, it will separate the guys with real skill...

most of the enzo's are running 1k up front and 1.5-2k in the enzo sacks along the side and are running the right rotation of prop for either regular or goofy. centurion has the switchblade, but most dedicated surfboats don't opt for them. apparently they wreak havoc on the surfwave. centurion just got lucky with a hull that surfs like crazy..

saskie99
08-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I dont think my lsv all weighted up, rub rail in the water full of people could be surfed at 14. The enzo throws the huge huge wave. I find that if I get over 10.5 the wave really shrinks, sure it gets longer but wave shorter.

sandm
08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
ya, mine does the same thing. faster the speed, the shorter and longer it gets and an annoying rooster tail starts to form.
enzo is def. the surfboat for sure, but seems that there's some boats trying to get there. sanger has the 237 surf series that I understand is quite good, and the tige rz2 has a great wake out of the box. can only imagine what it will be like loaded down.. I have heard tho that the enzo is not a very good wakeboard boat. probably fine for me, but those that can do inverts and looking to land 720's, it doesn't have enough pop.

saskie99
08-27-2010, 07:06 PM
crazy how some boats just naturally have better surf waves, wakeboard wakes. My buddies VLX throws an awesome wakeboard wake but for surfing my lsv is way better. Not really any bigger just more rider friendly.

sandm
08-28-2010, 10:43 AM
ya, guys at my dealership sell 'bu and skiers. they claim that they like the surf wake behind my 20ssv much better than the vlx, but the vlx will absolutely destroy my wakeboard wake..