PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Stereo System

LyndonH Dubai
08-25-2010, 02:16 AM
hello all
my current factory remote in the 2004 XLV Grav Games doesnt work with the stereo that the previous owner installed.
ive been thinking for a while about trying to get this working.
i would also like to try and get a remote that gives an LCD display so I can choose from playlists etc on the Ipod?
has anyone found a similar size remote to fit the cut out on the dash and a similar stereo that will work with it.
i attach a picture of the existing factory remote and picture of the dash etc
it appears that it was the same size cut out in the dash from around 2004 to 2007 models etc?
anyones help or ideas would be much appreciated as this is now driving me nuts!!:confused:

lewisb13
08-25-2010, 07:31 AM
hello all
my current factory remote in the 2004 XLV Grav Games doesnt work with the stereo that the previous owner installed.
ive been thinking for a while about trying to get this working.
i would also like to try and get a remote that gives an LCD display so I can choose from playlists etc on the Ipod?
has anyone found a similar size remote to fit the cut out on the dash and a similar stereo that will work with it.
i attach a picture of the existing factory remote and picture of the dash etc
it appears that it was the same size cut out in the dash from around 2004 to 2007 models etc?
anyones help or ideas would be much appreciated as this is now driving me nuts!!:confused:

You have the KCA-RC50MR

The KCA-RC60MR and the KCA-RC900MR will also work with your system, however, neither have digital readouts.

you da man
08-25-2010, 10:24 AM
No such remotes exists that will fit the cut out and have a digital screen

EarmarkMarine
08-25-2010, 10:40 AM
I would put a nicely finished ABS panel in replacement of that remote control.
It could serve as a mounting bezel to facilitate independent zone controls or a switch or an ipod cradle or any number of useful operations. Then add a 1/4-inch thick ABS bracket tucked up underdash and to the far right to mount any display remote control of your choice.

David
Earmark Marine

cpatten
08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I am going with the clarion M309, I am going to try and use the MW1 remote, not really happy with the stock Kenwood deck that came with O8 LSV. Need to be able to control the IPOD without getting it wet. Plus, I think the control will match my current gauges a lot better.

bergermaister
08-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey Cpatten-

I put in the older version of the Clarion M309 (M475) with two of the wired remotes a couple seasons ago. I have the LCD display on both of the remotes. Looked at the non-LCD version but didn't care much for it either. Plus wired up the lights on the LCDs to same switch for the rest of the LEDs in my boat for night cruising and it works/looks great.

I had to cut 3" holes in the fiberglass to mount my remotes, but it wasn't bad at all. One on the driver side and one by my rear deck lid but I got to choose where I put it and made it so that my when my cover is on the rear remote is covered. Kind of forces my upgrade path to be the same size remotes but I'm okay with that as I've been pretty happy with Clarion so far and wouldn't think twice about going to the M309 and MW1 remotes.

Good luck!

cpatten
08-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Glad to hear that the Clarion products are worth going with. Can't wait to get them installed on the boat.

Hoopaholic99
08-25-2010, 09:47 PM
This may i replaced that remote location with the wake plate gauge and swapped locations for the new remote. I made a custom triangle to fit in the old location. I now have the KMC-400m in the boat. It works great and makes it easier to adjust the stereo while you are running around with your hand on the throttle.

LyndonH Dubai
08-26-2010, 12:35 AM
thanks for all the replies. Earmark, can you please explain a little more on your idea? what is ABS etc? many thanks

jmvotto
08-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Glad to hear that the Clarion products are worth going with. Can't wait to get them installed on the boat.

MC put them in teir boats so you can assume they are good to go

EarmarkMarine
08-26-2010, 10:33 AM
LHD,
ABS is a type of plastic that is durable but also very easy to work with. It can be textuerd, or not, dyed or finished in a number of ways to best match the surrounding appointments. Beyond trimplates, adapters and bezels, we often heatform thicker ABS stock for bracketry too since it has enough structural strength to support light objects and because this gives us so much shaping freedom. You can view a number of applications on our site within the installation photo gallery.

David
Earmark Marine