PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leaking water

arich3
08-24-2010, 07:10 PM
2003 Moomba Outback LS. Replaced impeller last weekend. First trip since. Excessive water in bilge. Water leaking between muffler and hose immediately post-muffler. Clamps were loose. Tightening them reduced the leak but did not stop it. Hose and muffler do not have apparent holes/cracks.

Is there some kind of sealant I could apply to the muffler, then slide the hose back on, that would stop the leak? Do I need to replace the hose?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

maxpower220
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
You should consider buying new clamps (they're cheap), and try again with new ones. Those hoses are not "sealed" from the factory, so I would not attempt to do that. It is worth a try.

arich3
08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info regarding the sealant. The clamps are cheap and easy to come by. I will dive in for a closer inspection and try replacing them.

Thanks again.

james yarosz
08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
I also have a 2003 outback LS.both my mufflers were cracked on the inlet side from the factory.Somebody at the factory must have overtightened the clamps and cracked the mufflers.they were both replaced under warranty.

arich3
08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks, James. I'll be pulling the hose off tomorrow and will check it out. That's a little scary it's possible to crack the muffler with the clamps. Caution will be required.

Thanks again.