PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Gauges

hammons0814
09-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Hello!

I have been having problems with the fuel gauge on my 1999 Outback LS since I bought it (used). It has taken an act of god to get a new fuel gauge ordered, and Skier's Choice wasn't any help.

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the instrument cluster with another brand (teleflex, faria, etc.)? Is this possible? What problems did you encounter? What brand do you suggest?

If it comes down to it, I'll replace ALL the gauges to get a uniform look, as long as they work!

Thank you for any suggestions.

-Aaron

please respond to [email protected]

lowdrag
09-04-2004, 05:36 AM
What was the problem with your fuel gauge? If it was the fact that it bounces around and you can't get an accurate reading, then you probably didn't have a problem. The new one's still do it. It's an issue with the sending unit and the fuel sloshing around in the tank.

hammons0814
09-07-2004, 01:35 PM
The problem with the fuel gauge was that it always was pegged at full. Every now and then, it would indicate the actual level, but this was on rare occasions. I replaced the sending unit and the wire and it still didn't work. I don't believe that this is simply fuel sloshing around.

I have now replaced the fuel gauge and will test it soon. After finially receving the fuel gauge from a dealer, they sent me the wrong color! I just can't win with this problem.

If the fuel gauge still doesn't work, I'd like to replace all the gauges with a different brand...one that's more readily available.

Keaton
09-09-2004, 03:47 PM
You can test the gauge by grounding and ungrounding the signal wire to the sender.

Moomba99
09-13-2004, 12:02 AM
If that does not work I would try getting a new instrament module. That little black box that sits under the dash and your guages and pitot tubes are connected to it. This box was having problems in alot of boats. The guages would either read in the middle of the guage or they would not work at all. I believe Skiers choice has since swithed modules because I was lucky to get a replacement of that exact one. I was told they had "phased them out to a different manufacturer".