PDA

View Full Version : 2 speed transmissions?

brain_rinse
08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Just wondering why most boat companies are using a single speed transmission instead of a 2 (or more?) speed. I'd expect improved holeshot, higher topend, and fuel efficiency from additional gears. I realize those values would come at the expense of higher costs and additional complexity, but would it be worth it? Anyone have experience with a 2 speed boat?

VA LSV
08-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Rode in a MB B52 with a 2 speed transmission. The shift was kind of unsettling at first. Made me keep thinking there was something wrong. Was still a pig getting on plane. Its all in having the right prop.

brain_rinse
08-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Rode in a MB B52 with a 2 speed transmission. The shift was kind of unsettling at first. Made me keep thinking there was something wrong. Was still a pig getting on plane. Its all in having the right prop.
Never thought about a harsh shift as a downside. I agree, the right prop would still be critical.

sandm
08-24-2010, 06:55 AM
one more part to service and break. I can't think that I would find a real use for one. the fuel you might offset from lower cruise rpm's would be hard pressed to pay for what that would cost over the short term..
I would guess that it's not real practical if the "big 3" have not used one..