PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Upgrade GI to GII

jmvotto
08-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I have some pics i will add some text later. got the floor up . One man job:p

Pulled the floor, crap all over the dock including new wiring harness, mounted fused block and got wired. marked and mapped out ballast plate location. drank beer...

Extra piece of engine hose just lying between the gas tank and ski locker:rolleyes: ( dock stuff pic)

jmvotto
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
more pics to the project

drank one more beer, cut out hole with dremel, burned dremel out, got backup rotrozip to finished job, mounted plate. ran wires from kick plate to the v drive on top of gas tank replaced gI with GIII sprinkler system( thanks Brain) mounted rule drain pumps under manifold exhaust ( a Biatch) rear compartments

jmvotto
08-20-2010, 04:22 PM
pics contiued..... took about 5 hrs for one person

Drink more beer get out drill and hole saw. cut and remove carpet, mounted thru-hull and drain hose.

do the same on port side, too drunk to take pics .looks the same except no fuel line or bildge line. (found it, now posted)

finally remember to put extra hose under the floor from ski loccker to v drive area to fill bow sac ( future upgrade):p gi wiring and switch still in place on dash for the bow sac. Put alll away and drink more:D

Canuckle Head
08-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Looks good and please keep up with the documentation. I'll be watching this thread very closely! :D

2007 Outback V
08-20-2010, 06:17 PM
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/MSN-Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-applause-004.gif

Well done! Need I say more.

I'll drink to that.

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/smiles/smiles_415.gif

jmvotto
08-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Looks good and please keep up with the documentation. I'll be watching this thread very closely! :D

Not as hard as i thought. had all the right tools and some back ups. flexible drill driver attachment was helpful in tight spots. I'll take some more pics of the bags and rear hoses, but the project is complete. with the exception of bow and that will probably be done next spring...

jmvotto
08-20-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/MSN-Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-applause-004.gif

Well done! Need I say more.

I'll drink to that.

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/smiles/smiles_415.gif

LOL thanks I sure didhave a few after words, even went out for a surf..:p

cab13367
08-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Great work Joe! Lot of satisfaction in doing a big job yourself, isn't it?? One question I have is, why did you mount the switches so low? That's where the factory mounted mine and I hated them down there so I moved them up. Easy to accidentally bump a switch and not know it, and have to crank your neck down there to check the status of the switches. Seemed like you had room to mount them up higher?

One thing I did is to wire all my ballast switches to a spare "ACC" switch on the dash so that I can turn off power to the ballast switches when I don't want the driver to accidentally turn one on/off.

Al

jmvotto
08-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Al,

i seriously thought about putting the switch plate where you did. I have my radio remote and wake plate there. I also thoought about future trade in value and resale to make it OEM, hopefully i won't have any problems with accidental bumps i do like the idea to power the whole ballast system from an acc switch, that would be real easy to do.

Thanks. it is satisfying to do it yourself but sometimes its nice to just have it done...I do have my stereo install done, but its not as clean as i want so i have not posted it up yet.

funny story we surfed thus after my project and the drain pump would not work. light all worked front left all fill and drained except for my 750... so i had to drain manually with the over the side tsunami pump.. today i went in the locker took out the divider to check if the new pump was bad, found out i never plugged in the deutch connectors to the drain pump:mad: could have been the beer quick fix all is good.. my bud wanted to ski after we surfed. told him it was ok, it will lay down with the 750 full, he did not by it....:cool:

jester
08-23-2010, 12:44 PM
jmvotto, Great install. I am still working on mine and will now change it a little because of what you did with your drian pumps.

With your friend that wanted to ski you could of also told him you are testing how good of a skier he really is. :D

brain_rinse
08-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Nice work!

jmvotto
08-23-2010, 01:08 PM
jmvotto, Great install. I am still working on mine and will now change it a little because of what you did with your drian pumps.

With your friend that wanted to ski you could of also told him you are testing how good of a skier he really is. :D

He is pretty good he skis behind a 1986 supra ts comp "old school ski boat"

The hose i used and the 90's ( from Lowes) on the drain pump were quite a battle, so i had to use my boot lube to get them half way onand then clamp . i tried the needle nose trick but to no avail. If they pop of i will boil some water to stretch them. eveything from flow right fit perfectly even the threaded bag quick connects. let us know how it goes..

Brain, thats for all your support and stuff:p you were my inspiration. just got to pick up a 5 port manifold and an extra fill pump for the bow sac and i will be golden:rolleyes:

jester
08-24-2010, 12:31 AM
jmvotto, Where did you get the plate for the drain pumps?

jmvotto
08-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Jester got them from the dealer.
part # 105046 bracket straight ballast pump $3.56

page 2 of this thread

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9201&page=2&highlight=parts+list

jester
08-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Thank you for the info. I will have to try and get them or make my own.

jmvotto
08-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you for the info. I will have to try and get them or make my own.

its just aluminum plate with one big hole and two small ones. should be easy to make.

Hoopaholic99
08-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Where did you get the GII Switch panel? I want to put one in my boat this winter and can't find a place to pick this panel up. Shoot me a email if anyone knows where i can get this. [email protected]

jmvotto
08-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Where did you get the GII Switch panel? I want to put one in my boat this winter and can't find a place to pick this panel up. Shoot me a email if anyone knows where i can get this. [email protected]

got it from my dealer, i also had one from an ebay auction a three switch bertha ballast pre-05 version. you can also get single switches at wakemakers.com

http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-parts

hope this helps

JesseC
08-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Where does your power come from for your power/fuse block? Is it dedicated wires directly to the battery?

jmvotto
08-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Jesse, I powered the ballast fuse panel that came with the wiring harness to the bus bar connections under the dash.

JesseC
08-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Jesse, I powered the ballast fuse panel that came with the wiring harness to the bus bar connections under the dash.

So the pumps will be getting power from the switches that are getting power from the stock power panel under the dash?

If the above is true you may run into an issue that I had. When I hit all of the empty switches at the same time or engaged a fill pump and one empty pump it would pull too much power away from the dash and perfect pass started turning on and off. I ended up running a dedicated power and ground just for the ballast sytem.

jmvotto
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
i have not run into that problem yet, but i will check. I don't have PP but i doo have other things that it might effect.

Thx