PDA

View Full Version : Surfed with no ballast today

cab13367
08-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Starting Jan 1st this year, they banned wake enhancing devices on my favorite stretch of river. We went there tonight after work to wakeboard with no ballast 'cause it's close and the water is always smooth. Anyways, after the wakeboarding session, my son and I decided to try and surf without ballast and what do u know, we were able to do it. Below is a pic of me as well as a short vid. I'm on a CWB Ride (I left my Shapiro Shaka at home) and the only people on board were my 14 yr old son (driving) and my 110# wife and 50# daughter sitting on the port side. No ballast whatsoever. I was actually freeriding for a while before my wife started filming and of course, I fell off the wave as soon as she did :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBcJkVk4x80&sns=em

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/2616516e.jpg

you da man
08-20-2010, 09:18 AM
That's awsome Al, but sucks at the same time...no big wave to slash off of.

stretch55
08-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Starting Jan 1st this year, they banned wake enhancing devices on my favorite stretch of river. We went there tonight after work to wakeboard with no ballast 'cause it's close and the water is always smooth. Anyways, after the wakeboarding session, my son and I decided to try and surf without ballast and what do u know, we were able to do it. Below is a pic of me as well as a short vid. I'm on a CWB Ride (I left my Shapiro Shaka at home) and the only people on board were my 14 yr old son (driving) and my 110# wife and 50# daughter sitting on the port side. No ballast whatsoever. I was actually freeriding for a while before my wife started filming and of course, I fell off the wave as soon as she did :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBcJkVk4x80&sns=em

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/2616516e.jpg

SHOW OFF! LOL!!

kaneboats
08-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Nice job, Al. Hope I never have to follow suit.

89PROSTAR
08-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey, that's one of the best spots on the river. I know where you are at. We hang out at peach cove. You can use ballast down river from there.
I've yet to see any signs saying you can't above there. I know they say no ballast but I see boats all the time that I know are loaded up. If you see a small Mastercraft sitting by its self that's me. We are probably out in my buddies Wakesetter after I've skied. I'm one of the few skiers up there. Although it is making a comeback. Great pics.

you da man
08-20-2010, 04:43 PM
So you can't bring obese people on the boat on purpose?

RobertJ
08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Al, way cool. We are heading up there Monday night and hopefully Wednesday to hook up with Greg W. and we will do the same. M family is lucky to have a 300 pound Dad that is not considered an artifial wake enhancing device.

I know a couple of other Moomba guys that if they would sit close together would make a mean wake. And since it is Portland they can't get you for sitting next to your bro.

cab13367
08-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey, that's one of the best spots on the river. I know where you are at. We hang out at peach cove. You can use ballast down river from there.
I've yet to see any signs saying you can't above there. I know they say no ballast but I see boats all the time that I know are loaded up. If you see a small Mastercraft sitting by its self that's me. We are probably out in my buddies Wakesetter after I've skied. I'm one of the few skiers up there. Although it is making a comeback. Great pics.

I think I might have seen you out that night (this past Thursday night). Where is peach cove? FYI, the ban on WED's is from "the Hwy 219 Bridge at RM 48.5 to the upper end of Willow Island at RM 31.5". Where is Willow Island? Is that down river of the I-5 bridge?

I'm tempted to load up my ballast, especially in the stretch near Newberg where there are no docks on either side but I don't want to get caught and pay the $287 fine (ouch!).

There are signs posted at the Roger's Landing boat ramp in Newberg about the ban.

cab13367
08-21-2010, 11:00 AM
So you can't bring obese people on the boat on purpose?

No, you can't. The statute says, "Beginning January 1, 2010, no person shall use wake-enhancing devices, including ballast tanks, wedges or hydrofoils or other mechanical devices, or un-even loading of persons or gear, to artificially operate bow-high."

I actually stopped the ranger boat that night and asked them if it would be okay if we surfed without ballast and they said yes. Seeing that there were only the 4 of us on the boat, one of them said, "now if you have a boat load of people and they all sat on one side, that would not be allowed".

The fine is $287 if you get caught.

Sucks.

cab13367
08-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Seeee. "I told you so".

Way to go Al!

Now you understand my minimalized surfing philosophy - it's not all about the size of the wave.

Once you learn to wakesurf, you can do it behind anything.

It's actually easier to do it on a shorter and lighter board - a green loogie for me.

Next, show us how you can surf no ballast using a bathroom door :)

Oh, one more thing - try it on the goofy side. The weight of the driver helps make the ballast-free wake better on that side

Ed,

It was your post that inspired me to try it, so thanks! I was actually surprised that I was able to freesurf with no ballast and wish I would have brought my Shaka along. Obviously, it's easier to fall of the wave since it's smaller so it's good for fine tuning your technique.

I have tried to surf the goofy side before, both riding switch and regular (riding backside) and just can't get my mind to think goofy :o). My son on the other hand, can free surf the goofy side both switch and regular. Darn these young kids!

Al

you da man
08-21-2010, 01:40 PM
No, you can't. The statute says, "Beginning January 1, 2010, no person shall use wake-enhancing devices, including ballast tanks, wedges or hydrofoils or other mechanical devices, or un-even loading of persons or gear, to artificially operate bow-high."

I actually stopped the ranger boat that night and asked them if it would be okay if we surfed without ballast and they said yes. Seeing that there were only the 4 of us on the boat, one of them said, "now if you have a boat load of people and they all sat on one side, that would not be allowed".

The fine is $287 if you get caught.

Sucks.

How stupid is that...now they are telling us where we have to sit in our own boats.

stretch55
08-21-2010, 04:01 PM
I think I might have seen you out that night (this past Thursday night). Where is peach cove? FYI, the ban on WED's is from "the Hwy 219 Bridge at RM 48.5 to the upper end of Willow Island at RM 31.5". Where is Willow Island? Is that down river of the I-5 bridge?

I'm tempted to load up my ballast, especially in the stretch near Newberg where there are no docks on either side but I don't want to get caught and pay the $287 fine (ouch!).

There are signs posted at the Roger's Landing boat ramp in Newberg about the ban.

Willow island is just around the corner (south) from hebb park. Which is northe from 10th st/west linn.