PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Slalom Ski Event?

deerfield
08-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Am working with a Skiers Choice dealer, world class ski manufacturer, and private lake on a 2011 slalom ski school for Moomba and Supra owners. Tow rig would be Skiers Choice boat, most likely an Outback. Location would be near Chicago. Probably a weekend in July or August. Would include coaching from top slalom ski talent, video sessions, and demo skis. There will be a cost for use of the private lake. For those coming from out of the area, there will be cost for hotel and meals. Right now this is in concept stage, but dealer is on board to help make it happen. First sit down meeting with all of the above parties to establish more details will be late September. For now, feel free to let me know your thoughts (wish list, nice to have, must have, issues) and I will take these with me to the meeting. When I have details of how this proposed weekend might look, I'll post them here for everyone to see and then need to get an idea of whether or not there is a sufficient level of appetite among us owners to move forward. I for one think it would be cool to spend a weekend with flat water and a bunch of fellow Moomba/Supra owners who share the same interest in slalom skiing.

BensonWdby
08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
I might be interested in this.

skiyaker
08-18-2010, 06:22 PM
I'd be down for this- just would need a few months notice so I can make sure to be off work. It would be a good time for the things you mentioned plus I'm sure some group question and answer sessions with the pro or a seminar and I'm sure some social mixing.

The Indiana waterski association does a lot of clinics and learn to ski days and it seems like the main snag is liability. They tap into the USA waterski insurance program but that means all participants have to be a member of USA waterski.

Sled491
08-28-2010, 09:34 PM
You know I'm in. Could I invite my crew/fellow week in week out skiers?

Mikey
08-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Finally got to a computer that i can reply from,this sounds interesting.Keep us posted,with details etc.

bashton
09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
I would love to be a part of this. The first two weekends in August are already booked for me, but if this happens in July or the other weekends in August, count me (and hopefully Ian, pending recovery), in!

Bashton
2008 DD Outback

deerfield
09-13-2010, 11:51 PM
I would love to be a part of this. The first two weekends in August are already booked for me, but if this happens in July or the other weekends in August, count me (and hopefully Ian, pending recovery), in!

Bashton
2008 DD Outback

Bashton - We are scheduling this event for a weekend that does not conflict with any local or regional tournaments. If we find two or more such weekends during the summer, I will propose to the organizing team that we post the possible dates to accommodate as many skiers as possible. Would love to have you and Ian make the event. - Deerfield

eseebeck
10-11-2010, 12:58 PM
great idea, i think I'd be in. I've done this type of thing in northern michigan with the MC dealeship hosting. It's cool, lots of socializing and skiing. great tips from event pro. The best thing was just hangin' with the pro.

I think we each paid 150 bucks or something and there were 8 skiers plus the pro. Not skiing was the driver and observer. we all had lunch hung out it was cool i still have the pics

deerfield
10-11-2010, 11:15 PM
great idea, i think I'd be in. I've done this type of thing in northern michigan with the MC dealeship hosting. It's cool, lots of socializing and skiing. great tips from event pro. The best thing was just hangin' with the pro.

I think we each paid 150 bucks or something and there were 8 skiers plus the pro. Not skiing was the driver and observer. we all had lunch hung out it was cool i still have the pics

eseebeck - Anything you would do differently or that could have been improved? Insights from your experience would be real valuable here as we move ahead with plans for 2011. Thanks. - Deerfield

deerfield
03-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Met this morning with a world-class ski company’s national sales rep and the Chicago area Skiers Choice dealer that has hosted all of the Chicago Moomba/Supra owner reunions.

Given the summer’s heavy tournament schedule (ski as well as wakeboard), we think the best possible weekend dates for a three-day slalom clinic may be Friday, July 15 – Sunday, July 17, or Friday, July 22 – Sunday, July 24.

Location still to be determined, but we are working on a controlled, private lake with slalom course located northwest of Chicago. Lake location is nearby to several hotels. For those who prefer camping, a state park that permits tents and trailers is about a twenty-minute drive.

Slalom clinic would include sets Friday evening, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning.

Dealer would provide towboat(s). Working together, dealer and factory rep would arrange for demo skis and pro skier.

My vision is a clinic geared to the average Joe or Jane (adult or kid) who is solid on a slalom ski, understands the basics of slalom skiing, might even be pretty good on a course, and wants to step up his or her game.

If we find interest from short line skiers, we might run a separate but concurrent clinic on an adjacent lake where the focus is appropriately suited to that level of performance.

Event could be open to anyone, not just Moomba and Supra owners. However, given that group size would likely be limited, Moomba and Supra owners are first priority for a clinic slot.

In the next day or two there will be a poll on the forum to get an idea of how many are interested in a clinic that would run on one of these two weekends.

Within the next two weeks we should have an idea of interest level and know the availability of the pro, at which point we will take planning to the next stage.

Stay tuned..........

bashton
03-06-2011, 12:45 PM
This sounds awesome and the dates listed would be perfect for me.

Keep us posted!

Bashton

PatL
03-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I think this is a great idea. I'm probably the farthest away but I'm marking the calendar. Look forward to more details as they develop.

skiyaker
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
this sounds great; I was going to do a long weekend of ski instruction at the liquid edge but if this event is a go I'll do it instead. LONG LIVE THE LOST ART OF SLALOM

jmvotto
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
man i wish this was closer.:(

BensonWdby
03-08-2011, 09:31 PM
this sounds great; I was going to do a long weekend of ski instruction at the liquid edge but if this event is a go I'll do it instead. LONG LIVE THE LOST ART OF SLALOM

Do both ...

skiyaker
03-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Do both ...

If I can swing it I will, but you know how it gets in the summer- too few weekends to fit everything in. All I'm saying is that if I have to pick one over the other moomba event wins out.

bashton
03-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I am IN for this!

Will keep an eye on the posts for updates.

Bashton

eseebeck
03-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Back to my experience with the MC dealer in Northern Michigan. we were on a pulbic lake slalom course, but didn't have any issues with water conditions. We weren't setting world records just getting some tips and having a good time.

the pro was Wade Cox. He was really cool to hang with. Just a regular dude with so much knowledge. We all left with a few things to work on and the knowledge to understand where our skiing was headed.

Looking at the ideas here sounds good. I don't think you need different lakes for different level skiers. Generally speaking, pro skiers are so knowledgeable, they can bring things down to begginer level or step it up to really, really short line stuff.

Been to Jack Travers a few years ago with my kids. they were probably 6 and 8 or so. and Jack had no problems working with them at their level, me at the adv. recreational level and some non english speaking folks that were tearin' it up really shortline.

One site and one pro might be enough, depending on how many skiers are coming.

deerfield
04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Guys - No slalom clinic for the 2011 season.

Though such an event is of interest to a number of us on the two SC forums and it did take some initial shape, we came across a couple of challenges to pulling the event together completely.

I’m grateful to the folks at Ultimate Wake Watersports and HO Sports who gave this a run with me. We started on this in October of last year. Collectively we determined it best to pass on the 2011 season.

I encourage you to check out the August 5 – 6 Malibu Open in Milwaukee, WI and August 7 – 13 Goode Water Ski National Championships in Wilmington, IL. Both of these are a great opportunity to see top talent on the slalom course and rub shoulders with the best in the world.

Thanks for the interest and feedback. I will take another look at this for the 2012 season. - Deerfield

BensonWdby
04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the effort - it was looking more like I would not be able to make it so now I don't feel bad about backing out.

If there are members out there who might be insterested in similar clinic type format I can probably point you to a couple of them. Since it is a business I am not sure if posting them here would be consitent with the intent of the board. But you can PM me if you want.

skiyaker
04-16-2011, 10:33 AM
thanks for looking into this- give a shout out if anybody is heading to the liquid edge- could be fun for a few of us to do that together.

bashton
04-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the effort and if anything changes or you decide to pursue for 2012, count me in!

Bashton

BensonWdby
04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
thanks for looking into this- give a shout out if anybody is heading to the liquid edge- could be fun for a few of us to do that together.

Doug is having a Wade Cox clinic again this year. I think it is June 9-10. I plan on a full day on the 10th. He is not showing it on his calendar yet but I am pretty sure it is a done deal.

You can check in with him at
http://theliquidedge.com/index.html