PDA

View Full Version : Mpg... Gas

Buck02LS
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
How much gas are you going thru in a day?

Ok so in my 2002 Mobius LS DD I can be out on the water just about all day (Wakeboarding & Surfing) with maybe an 2 or 3 hour break doing lunch or hanging out on the sand bar. But for sure a full 8 hrs of boating and make it back to the dock just on E…going thru just about all of my 20gallons! Well I was out with a friend that has a LSV 2006 22’ I think and he had to go re-fill his gas a little over after haft the day was over… and he said it cost him like 75bucks to fill his taken… so I’m guessing a 30 or 40 gallon tank maybe..?

So what I guess I’m asking it just how long are you guys being able to run on a tank of gas?

I want to upgrade to a bigger boat like the LSV or even the XLV but I don’t like the idea of having to go back to the gas station 2 or 3 times a day… that don’t sound good!

Thanks!

kaneboats
08-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I can run pretty much all day with the 40 gal. tank. I usually use between 18 and 25, depending on what we're doing.

sandm
08-17-2010, 01:19 PM
40 gallon tank here. we surfed from noon to 5pm, ran to a dock(about 5 miles) then back to the ramp(5 miles) to leave and it was 24 gallons to fill up. I figure on an average day we start recreating around noon and will put in 4-5hrs of surfing, then around 15-20 miles of running different places, mostly at lower rpm's and I expect to use between 20-25 gallons/day. gas here is hovering at $2.85 right now, so figure between $50-75/day(it's $3.55/gal at the marina right now :( sucks to buy gas when camping)

my buddy has a boomerang that has a 20gal tank on it. he can ski all day and be lucky to burn 10-12 gallons, and it's a 14y.o carb'ed motor. amazing what all the ballast and a much heavier boat can do to fuel economy.

mmandley
08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I just filled the boat up yesterday and it was 80 bucks. I use 89 octane at chevron.

You need to look at the hours on your boat and divide that by gallons used. You should be seeing 4 to 6 galls average per Engine hour. This is very normal. I have even wrote up a post how it compares to your truck using gas and its very similar in comparison.

The biggest thing people just cant wrap there heads around is < im on a boat and the lake isn't that big so i just don't see how i use all this gas > Its due to a car having a multi-speed transmission. A car at 3K rpm is close to 100 MPH with average 4 speed automatic. A boat at 3K is only 20 mph. Also factor in water drag and the difference in weight.

We almost always average 3 to 4 hours engine time each time we go out. I almost always spend 60 in gas per day. i fill the boat each and every day we go out. The boat is almost always 20-24 galons to fill.

you da man
08-17-2010, 02:01 PM
XLV is not that bad on gas. Last Sunday with 4 in the boat we did 4 wakeboard sets each plus 1 surf set each. Ran 10 miles round trip to pick up a couple other friends in between and still had over 1/4 tank indicated. Plus my fuel gauge reads much lower than what's actually in the tank.

jmondl
08-17-2010, 02:14 PM
On the Outback DD, we rather consistently go through about 3 gallons per hour of engine time. That is mostly skiing and wakesurfing, with the usual idling around to pick up skiers, idling to and from the dock, etc. My boat stays on a boat lift, meaning I don't fill it up every time I go boating, so I don't know how much I burn on a daily basis, but it would probably be a couple of hours a day; more if people are visiting and want to ski also.

Razzman
08-17-2010, 02:15 PM
I can average 1.5-2 days on 40 gallons, been that way since i got it new in March of '08.

As far as cost? Who cares it's a boat. I run only 89 octane and i don't even pay attention. The day i start to worry about gas is the day i'll sell it 'cause it won't be fun anymore. My 2 cents on that subject. :p

cab13367
08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I see a lot of subjective answers here but really, the only objective answer is GPH. I monitor my gph (mainly out of curiousity) and I burn right at about 4 gallons per engine hour of operation with my current Acme 13.5x16 prop. With my stock 13.7x17.5, it was closer to 4.5-5.0 GPH. This is for combined wakeboarding, wakesurfing, and tubing (I would say about equal parts of each) use with very little cruising use.

Oh, and my 2006 LSV is 21'-6" long, weighs 3,300 lbs, and has a 40 gallon tank.

Buck02LS
08-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!

First of all I would like to correct myself and I should have said GPH and not MPG… Also I was not the one out on the boat and with the guy with the LSV all this information was coming from my brother who was using the boat. He was just relaying all this info to me, so the info I got from him is second hand and could be a little off.

But after reading what all yall just said it doesn’t seem as bad as I was thinking with the LSV! And even with the XLV… but yes the bigger the boat and with and the more ballast you have obviously the more gas your going to use.

Thanks

you da man
08-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!

First of all I would like to correct myself and I should have said GPH and not MPG… Also I was not the one out on the boat and with the guy with the LSV all this information was coming from my brother who was using the boat. He was just relaying all this info to me, so the info I got from him is second hand and could be a little off.

But after reading what all yall just said it doesn’t seem as bad as I was thinking with the LSV! And even with the XLV… but yes the bigger the boat and with and the more ballast you have obviously the more gas your going to use.

Thanks

When we wakeboard we usually only have 250lbs on each rear sac but when we surf...3,500lbs of ballast not including 2-3 passengers so I take a hit on fuel when surfing

vfrdude
08-17-2010, 05:04 PM
I believe the 2002 LS has a 27 gallon tank.... ;) when my 2001 Outback LS shows 'E', I've filled up a bunch of times with about 20 gallons or so... Nice to know there was still gas in it, but it's nerve racking when the gauge is on 'E'!

Buck02LS
08-17-2010, 05:18 PM
When we wakeboard we usually only have 250lbs on each rear sac but when we surf...3,500lbs of ballast not including 2-3 passengers so I take a hit on fuel when surfing

Where do you normally boat at…?

Buck02LS
08-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I believe the 2002 LS has a 27 gallon tank.... ;) when my 2001 Outback LS shows 'E', I've filled up a bunch of times with about 20 gallons or so... Nice to know there was still gas in it, but it's nerve racking when the gauge is on 'E'!

27 gallon... really... well than that's good to know! :D

you da man
08-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Where do you normally boat at…?

Lake Belton

Buck02LS
08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Never mind your way north from me, I’m down in Houston.

vfrdude
08-20-2010, 01:31 PM

It's actually 28 gallons. I looked at the manual wrong - the Outback has a 27 gallon tank.

28 for Outback LS, and Mobius.

jra007
08-20-2010, 01:38 PM

I have a 2001 Mobius DD, and it too has a 27/28g tank. I get about 4-5hrs of play time per full tank of gas.

Buck02LS
08-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the info!