PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat repair or fiberglass repair

ottawarider
08-17-2010, 01:15 AM
So over the weekend a storm came in and I didnt have my boat properly bumpered. Here are the results. I searched for info on how to self fix but have a few questions... Do i need to put fiberglass in there or is gel coat enough. Do I void my hull warranty by DIY measures? Approximately how much would it be to have it fixed so when I get estimates I know ball park figures? When I woke up and saw this I was lucky not to throw up! Could be worse I guess?

ottawarider

deafgoose
08-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Ouch!

Where are you located?

Ottawa, Canada?

saskie99
08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
you can do it yourself, just buy the matching gel coat repair kit and follow the instructions. But to have somebody else fix it, I have no idea how much it would cost.

lewisb13
08-17-2010, 11:16 AM
WHere would you get this?

rc5695
08-17-2010, 12:00 PM
WHere would you get this?

Any boating store usually carries a gelcoat repair kit. My dad just picked up one for me for about $25. Not too bad a job, just make sure the color is matched, cuz once it is done, it is done.

i can't remember for sure, but I think Walmart even carries one.

ottawarider
08-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks all I'll be sure to post some pics of how it went. Ya I am from Ottawa Canada. Primarily ride in the Rideau River at Ecolands.

ottawarider

MartinCaron
08-17-2010, 02:51 PM
holy sh** i can feel your pain.
I bought 8 more taylor made docking buoys last week-end because now i got my own dock . With a total of 10, you can barely see the dock behind the buoys...

deafgoose
08-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks all I'll be sure to post some pics of how it went. Ya I am from Ottawa Canada. Primarily ride in the Rideau River at Ecolands.

ottawarider

Nice. I have a few buddies that ride there in an older 1998 Mobius DD.

jmvotto
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
So over the weekend a storm came in and I didnt have my boat properly bumpered. Here are the results. I searched for info on how to self fix but have a few questions... Do i need to put fiberglass in there or is gel coat enough. Do I void my hull warranty by DIY measures? Approximately how much would it be to have it fixed so when I get estimates I know ball park figures? When I woke up and saw this I was lucky not to throw up! Could be worse I guess?

ottawarider

Ouch, bet that was a shocker.

www.spectrumcolor.com has gelcoat repair and paint kits for moomba's i had the kid at the gas dock forge to tie the stern properly and got i few dings that i repaired. pretty easy but a little time consuming.

I also had a deep scratch under my moomba decal when i brought the boat in to hot and the trailer was too deep and snapped the abs boat guidesand the metal pole dug in pretty good. i was taking it out for year end and the dealer fixed it like new for $250.00. can't even find the scratch.

a good gel coat guy will match colors perfectly and make it good as new. otherwise DIY will get it much much better than it is now.

my .02

ottawarider
08-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Nice. I have a few buddies that ride there in an older 1998 Mobius DD.

oh ya saw them out last week for the first time. Awesome to see other moombas out there! Where do you boat?

ottawarider

ottawarider
08-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Ouch, bet that was a shocker.

www.spectrumcolor.com has gelcoat repair and paint kits for moomba's i had the kid at the gas dock forge to tie the stern properly and got i few dings that i repaired. pretty easy but a little time consuming.

I also had a deep scratch under my moomba decal when i brought the boat in to hot and the trailer was too deep and snapped the abs boat guidesand the metal pole dug in pretty good. i was taking it out for year end and the dealer fixed it like new for $250.00. can't even find the scratch.

a good gel coat guy will match colors perfectly and make it good as new. otherwise DIY will get it much much better than it is now.

my .02

wicked thanks for the advice. I used a gel coat DIY kit from my local shop. Got the color pretty darn close. Put in some fiberglass then sanded then more fiberglss then sanded. Then put on the gel coat and am currently waiting for it to dry. My buddy does automotive finish repair and was a huge help. Off season will order the color from spectrum and really make it nice. Pics to follow tonight.