PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Weight Capacity

cab13367
08-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know the weght capacity of the swim platform on a 2006 LSV? I had 13 people out in the LSV this weekend and at one point, there were about 6 people standing on the platform at one time. Granted, a few of those were kids but it made me wonder how much weight it can hold before something gives. If anyone has asked this question of their dealer or SC and has gotten an answer, please share. I searched and didn't see anything on the forum. Thanks.

On a positive note, my boat was really put to good use this weekend. We took two of the neighbors and their families out so we had a total of 5 adults and 8 kids on the boat. Was a super hot day in Portland (mid-90's) and water temp at the lake was 75 so was a great day to be on the water. Too rough to do anything but tube and swim but everyone had a grand time. We did get some surfing in late in the day after most boats had left and the surf wake with 12 people on the boat was awesome! I took my daughter out to surf with me again and when two of her same-age girlfriends saw that, they wanted to go as well so I took each one out as well. Got up the first time and was able to throw the rope in and freeride with each of the girls. They loved it, as did their parents :)

Even with that many people and packing lunch and drinks for everyone, the LSV had plenty of strorage space so we didn't have to keep anything out on the floor or the seats. Granted, we didn't use any ballast (except when we surfed) so that helped.

moombahighrider
08-16-2010, 09:33 PM
I have an 08 LSV and I did ask my dealer in Salt Lake last year when we bought it. I really can't remember what he said, but I have 300lbs in my head for some reason. I could be way off, so correct me if I am wrong, guys (as I know you will ;) ).

T_M
08-17-2010, 02:52 PM
I've had over 500 lbs on my 09 LSV swim deck when I took it out for the first time. This prompted me to ask my dealer about weight limits and they just laughed saying I could pile as many people as can fit on the deck with no worries. That said, I ask my passengers to keep it at two adults or three kids at a time.

phospher
08-17-2010, 04:06 PM
This prompted me to ask my dealer about weight limits and they just laughed saying I could pile as many people as can fit on the deck with no worries. .

yeah right.... I think your rule of 2 is good.

mmandley
08-18-2010, 09:46 AM
I would think there is a much different weight in and out of water. As in the water the water is actually helping support the weight and out of the water all the weight is right on the deck.

Ive never got a straight answer eighter although i would never do this but last week i saw an older Master Craft with a jet ski strapped on the swim deck being pulled by a motor-home.

newyear14
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=mmandley;111004]I would think there is a much different weight in and out of water. As in the water the water is actually helping support the weight and out of the water all the weight is right on the deck.

I agree. The bouyancy provided by the water may allow you to support more weight. How much weight? not sure. I've had 3 teens on my platform (150# x 3 =450) and it seems fine.

davidl
08-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Had our 08 LSV out on Billy chinook yesterday and noticed half moon shaped cracks on the edge of my swim deck? I wonder if this is a warranty item?.

squeeg333
08-18-2010, 12:28 PM
David, I've got the same thing going on mine. The cracks were there before I had the boat though, so warranty is long gone. They are repairable I'm sure, but I figure I'll just leave them for now...

lewisb13
08-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Mine has done the same thing, not sure if they are just cracks in the gel coat or the actual fiberglass is cracked.

mmandley
08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
on the bottom of mine where the black fiberglass meets the gell its cracked in 90 degree corners. Water leaks in and when we get home the swim deck is still draining.

AWS said its under the hull warranty and they will repair or replace it.

jamie_abb
08-19-2010, 12:44 PM
mine has a sticker which states the limit is 500#

DOCDRS
08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
[quote=mmandley;111004]I would think there is a much different weight in and out of water. As in the water the water is actually helping support the weight and out of the water all the weight is right on the deck.

I agree. The bouyancy provided by the water may allow you to support more weight. How much weight? not sure. I've had 3 teens on my platform (150# x 3 =450) and it seems fine.

Ok I have to disagree with this totally unless the weight on the platform is in the water. If the platform is submerged than the platforms weight maybe be reduced a small amount not much though as it is quite dense. You have to be in the water displacing it to have any boyant effect. So i guess the weight of your feet can be reduced..........:)

cab13367
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
[quote=newyear14;111021]

Ok I have to disagree with this totally unless the weight on the platform is in the water. If the platform is submerged than the platforms weight maybe be reduced a small amount not much though as it is quite dense. You have to be in the water displacing it to have any boyant effect. So i guess the weight of your feet can be reduced..........:)

Doc, I agree with you. If the platform was 4" thick and was made of foam (so it's super buoyant), then yes, the water would support it's weight and some of the weight of the people standing on it. But I believe that the swim platforms don't float so the water only reduces it's weight by a small amount. And anyone on the platform, only the part of them that is underwater is being partially supported by the water.

So in conclusion, being on the water only marginally increases it's weight holding capacity.

cab13367
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
mine has a sticker which states the limit is 500#

I've got the same boat - where is the sticker located?

mmandley
08-19-2010, 05:28 PM
i was thinking last year someone made a post about the swim deck coming off there boat and it floated?

BensonWdby
08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
I would be stunned if the deck on my 99 Mobius floated. Looks like just molded fiberglass, couple of metal brackets, and the top pad. I think it would sink like a rock and not provide any floatation at any time.

As far as weight on platform... I would never have more than 3 adults on the platform - but I would expect it to hold that. We ski from a dock so rarely have more than 4 people in the boat - so who knows...

Hoopskier
08-19-2010, 05:59 PM
The only way that I could see a platform floating is if it caught an air pocket underneath it due to the lip, which I doubt would happen or stay there. I would think that assuming there is some bouyancy to a platform it would be so minimal it hardly even worth counting. For example (not actual ratings) if the platform could hold 500#s out of the water, it could hold 510#s in the water. This is assuming your not moving. If your moving, the water support would be gone, back to dry weight. The small amount of difference is not worth counting and more appropriately should be called margin of safety.

When it comes it comes to the kids, I never have worried. As for adults, is there room for more than 2 anyway?

mnpracing
08-19-2010, 09:58 PM
I may be overprotective, but I limit generally to 1-2 adults and 2-3 kids. Try to keep a 250lb +/- range.

rc5695
08-20-2010, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=DOCDRS;111205]

When is a supra/moomba swim platform not under water? Mine is almost always under water. Any weight in the back pushes it under.

Is the weight of your body not disbursed across the platform, though? Also, is the platform something that would float if it fell off? I'd think so; therefore its bouyancy will help with the weight put on the boat. Ive had 3 or 4 grown ups standing on it before and never thought twice about it.

My guess, those tiny pins that hold it to the boat would break before you did any damage to the boat.

Those "pins" support no weight. They just lock it on so it can't slide up & off. All the weight is supported through the brackets and bolts going into the hull. These things could support a LOT of weight before there would be a failure of the metal brackets. Not sure what would go first, probably pull the screws out of the boat before anything "broke".

As far as a limit, we've had 3 adult and a bunch of kids on mine. the more the marrier :cool: I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one whose moves when I step on it!

DOCDRS
08-20-2010, 06:37 PM
do the platforms float.......yes some if not all of them do.......do they provide bouyancy...i think not (otherwise the boat wouldnt sink when we add ballast) do i think they are strong....incredibly......how strong ....very ,they are thru bolted at reinforced locations on the transom......remember those two transom rings......you can pick the boat up with them.......but the further you move the weight to the back of the platform the increase stress on the transom proportional to the distance you move away from the transom.........but i knew i could get this thread moving again with a little push :) i like controversy

kennedy
08-21-2010, 09:06 AM
NICE!!

That would be a test!!

Extra Ballast as well.

Can you say Surfs UP!!

jmvotto
08-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I think it may be time to invite the ladies out and just give this a test run. I think it will hold.

http://ledonnarama.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/fatgirl_fatfriday_swimsuit_10nov06.jpg

Oh how I wish I could have photoshopped that.

put that on WW for boobs for ballast, maybe just eveything for ballast:p

kaneboats
08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
OMG! That definitely violates the forum rules. Consider yourself banned!

thesack
08-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Hmm I don't know which is worse the weight of the ladies or that of a 21' Tige on your swim platform.

bergermaister
08-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Thread revival time-

I'm debating getting one monster new cooler the size of a coffin or 2 large ones for our longer camp trips. The monster when loaded is definitely a 2 person haul, maybe even 3... So basically there's no way it would be making it into the boat. If anywhere it would ride on the swim platform both down the road and/or across the water until we reach our destination.

I already have another large one and a few smaller, just thinking it would be nice to have the big one for the big trips. But once its loaded man that sucker would be a PITA to move.

Wondering if the swim platform would be up to the challenge of holding that kind of weight.

thesack
08-15-2013, 04:05 PM
I think your swim platform would be able to support the weight. Look at how many people you've had standing on together at one point in time. You probably are looking at anywhere form 3-500 pounds. And your platform is probably still fully intact. Heck years ago my swim platform survived being ran over by another boat.

But personally I would go with 2 large coolers, that way I could move them more easily.

newty
08-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Thread revival time-

I'm debating getting one monster new cooler the size of a coffin or 2 large ones for our longer camp trips. The monster when loaded is definitely a 2 person haul, maybe even 3... So basically there's no way it would be making it into the boat. If anywhere it would ride on the swim platform both down the road and/or across the water until we reach our destination.

I already have another large one and a few smaller, just thinking it would be nice to have the big one for the big trips. But once its loaded man that sucker would be a PITA to move.

Wondering if the swim platform would be up to the challenge of holding that kind of weight.

I always put my cooler back there for long trips... especially now that the tailgate on my new truck comes up to my chin.
Should be fine. Don't forget to tie it down.:D

mmandley
08-16-2013, 12:18 AM
I would be careful about going over the 300lb limit, You have to remember in the water the Water is supporting a lot of that weight.

When your not in the water the stern of the boat is supporting all the weight.

I have seen a jet ski on the back of a boat swim deck but that doesn't mean i would do it LOL.

kaneboats
08-16-2013, 09:23 AM
1. I would not want a cooler that was too big to move by myself. That's why they make wheeled ones.

2. If you do set out on this fool's errand, when you tie it to the swim platform also make a harness to stretch to somewhere higher like the pylon and suspend some of the weight from there.

3. Be careful going over potholes, speedbumps, etc.

newty
08-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Those swim platforms barely float themselves, no way the water is supporting it. 3-4 adults on my platform , that's +/- 700lbs. I don't think a 100lb cooler would make a bit of difference.

I usually tie it to the lifting eyes on the rear, or to the grab handle above the platform.

rdlangston13
08-16-2013, 10:32 AM
I agree with Newty, I don't think the platform would even float if it were tossed in the water by itself. Then when you have 3-4 adults standing on it with their feet about 2 inches in the water there is not enough bouyancy to take hardly any weight off of the platform.

Now if the platform were like 5 ft under water and they were up to their chest standing on it I would say the load is greatly reduced...

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
08-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Those swim platforms barely float themselves, no way the water is supporting it. 3-4 adults on my platform , that's +/- 700lbs. I don't think a 100lb cooler would make a bit of difference.

I usually tie it to the lifting eyes on the rear, or to the grab handle above the platform.

Maybe not on your boat but on mine the platform is in the water even with no ballast.
Sure a 100lb cooler will work, hell i stand on my swim deck all the time on the trailer but that doesn't mean i want a 300 lb cooler riding on it down the highway lol.

Dave having the platform 5 feet under water wouldn't help with its buoyancy the type im talking is the same principle that makes a boat float, a boat displaces water and water does not like to be separated from its self on a molecular level and this is what makes so many thing float on water including steel.

Ill have to try the platform floating because i think it will float, its fiberglass with a foam type center, i think i even heard a member a few years back say theirs came off the boat and floated.

newty
08-16-2013, 11:54 AM
^^^?????^^^

rdlangston13
08-16-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't think mine has a foam center, it's pretty solid and weighs a ton. And having the platform 5 ft under water would cause more of the people on it to be submerged by water thus reducing the amount of weight they apply to the platform. And if the platform is buoyant then it is barley buoyant, probably would only take a couple rocks to sink it at which point it's flotation is not supporting any considerable amount of weight of the people on it. 3 full sized adults weighing in at 180 each is 540 pounds, if the platform is can float 5 lbs then it is carrying 535 lbs minus the density of the people's feet and ankles compared to the water. Which we can say that people's feet and ankles are relatively lean and probably weigh the same as water so you can take about about 10 more pounds or so. So the platform brackets are supporting 525 lbs. now I don't think a 100-150 lbs cooler will sheer it off the back of the boat.

This is just all my opinion and I am not responsible for anyone's platform being sheered off due to excess cooler weight.

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
08-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Go back and read the post above in a Cliff Clavin voice. It works much better. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GTZrcoWEM

trmaggie98
08-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Not sure of weight capacity but I have proof, pics from the jam last weekend, that it will hold two big breasted mattress thrashers and one 9 YO boy doing the wobble...

kaneboats
08-16-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't believe you. Let's see the proof.

trmaggie98
08-16-2013, 04:11 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/aju5ane5.jpg

trmaggie98
08-16-2013, 04:12 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/5amu6u9u.jpg

trmaggie98
08-16-2013, 04:12 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/upamahe8.jpg

trmaggie98
08-16-2013, 04:14 PM
I think that's what they call " the proof is in the pudd'n"

EricU
08-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Not sure of weight capacity but I have proof, pics from the jam last weekend, that it will hold two big breasted mattress thrashers...

As an engineer who studied buoyancy and fluid dynamics at Cal Poly, I have to disagree with you. I don't think they are all that "big". Purely from an engineering standpoint...

clarkely
08-18-2013, 04:55 PM
That's a 9 year old that doesn't realize how good he has it on that platform.... Lol...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

Woody929
08-18-2013, 08:46 PM
That's a 9 year old that doesn't realize how good he has it on that platform.... Lol...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

That's what I told him as it was happening

bergermaister
08-19-2013, 09:45 AM
This oughta do it.
My 5ft tall 10 yr old.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/cooler3.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/cooler4.jpg

May have to leave it strapped on there when we go surfing and see what kind of wave I can get...:cool:

EricU
08-19-2013, 01:13 PM
This oughta do it.
My 5ft tall 10 yr old.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/cooler3.jpg

May have to leave it strapped on there when we go surfing and see what kind of wave I can get...:cool:

Wow! Here in California, we cant even have the kids ride in the back of our pick ups!

bergermaister
08-19-2013, 03:36 PM
LOL - this is how we used to go to the drive-in movie back in the day. Price for one person to enter was half of a carload. So there would be big bulges under the tonneau covers and the cars would come riding in really low in the back...

"one please" and the ticket window lady would look at you disapprovingly