PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Shattered While Towing Home

Muzzy
08-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Towing my boat home this evening, I happened to look in my rear view at the perfect time to see a large rock bounce off my boat passenger side windshield and shatter it. At least it was on the way home and not on my way to the lake. Anyways. Anybody have any advise on repairing this? (doable myself, take it to the dealer or order online, etc.) Is this a common occurance or am I just that unlucky?
Here are some pics:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/DSCN2323.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/DSCN2324.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/DSCN2325.jpg

viking
08-16-2010, 12:19 AM
that sucks! Never had it happen but always worried about it! Another reason for towing covered (even though I don't do it all the time either). I know it's not that hard to remove the glass but I've never had to do it myself. Others have done so to tint. So I'm not sure if it comes out in 1 peice or 2? I'm interested to see the responses you get as well.

Good luck!

deerfield
08-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Muzzy - Had my Outback four years. Towed it cross country twice. Lots of local towing, too. Never had windshield damage or heard of it happening. Feel bad for you. Maybe covered by your insurance policy? - Deerfield

sandm
08-16-2010, 07:03 AM
wow, that sucks.

I believe that you just take the screws off and remove the top cap. there's a seal in there that I would imagine you have to replace as well..

might take duct tape and place it across the glass before you remove it to keep it from making a bigger mess?

mmandley
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
To remove the windshield

1 remove the rubber stripping on the lower section
2 remove the threw pins that are hinging the center section
3 remove all the screws under that rubber strip you removed.
4 there is 1 screw that has a bolt on it, its really close to where your cubby door meets the side of the seat.
5 check for a screw right where the window meets the boat and the tower leg is bolted
6 remove the walk threw brace arm
7 Gently pull from the walk-threw section up ward. It will resist a lot as this is a rubber seal and you are breaking the seal.

The windshield is very light. Especially with a missing window < sorry couldn't resist. >

Now you can remove the small screws and dissemble the frame.

Get a new window pop it in and reassemble.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune bro. Was it a passing car that tossed a rock? Or your car? This is one of the reason i got a tow guard on my 350 because it loves to toss things off those big tires

saskie99
08-16-2010, 10:37 AM
my buddy an i were towing his ski natique home from the lake and it had a one piece windshield and the same thing, got hit by a rock and the whole tempered glass windshield fell inside of the boat. We scooped out handfuls of glass and shop vac for hours. It was awful.

Razzman
08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
It's not hard to do but it will be expensive. A full replacement windshield for a boat runs in the $1200+ range. Check around maybe someone can get you a deal on the replacement piece needed. Windshields for most boats are made by Taylor Made Systems - Marine Division (http://www.taylormarine.com/windshields/index.html), not sure about SC though.

rc5695
08-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd suggest chekcing with your ins. carrier too.

I've towed many thousands of miles, and never covered (not sure how that would help this), and never had it happen, or seen/heard of it happening.

04OUTBACK
08-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I had same exact issue a few years ago. Heartbreaking! I picked up boat on Fri eve for a Sat am ride.. broke on way home.. looked JUST like yours.

I called around for a few weeks. Had dealer call factory and they found one on the lot. Wasn't easy. Taylor Made was not real helpful.
Odd's are you will have to buy the whole windshield. There have been on here or Ebay someone selling that side (they must have needed the driver side)

MMandley gave you the scoop on removing. i did the work myself. it is doable.

I had the factory ship mine directly to my office. Paid about $750 for driver side only..

mcdye
08-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Is a accident of this nature not covered by Insurance?

Muzzy
08-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Thank you all for your sympathy. My wife checked with the insurance and looks like it will be covered, but now time is the issue.
I called Water Bonnet/Tayler Made System, they couldn’t find any info for my boat but told me where I may be able to find a part number for the window in the screw track, so I will be doing that this evening. They said since it’s a 2006 they should still be able to make it but it would take 6 weeks. Moomba Dealer isn’t open on Mondays so I will check with them tomorrow to see what they can do.
Unfortunately our big camping trip is 10 days away and without the boat it is going to be very boring, hopefully I can get this taken care of before then.

I do need to look for a towable cover for the boat, not sure it would have prevented this, but it wouldn’t have hurt. I believe the rock was from oncoming traffic (2 way highway 55mph speed limit) but it being from my own tires did cross my mind since the launch was a gravel parking lot and my tires do like to hold rocks, but it doesn’t look like there is a straight shot from my tires to the windshield without hitting the bow, but I didn’t look to close at that, time for some mud flaps or tow guard.

Sled491
08-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Ah dude that sucks. If I didn't have it fixed before the big trip I'd either cancel or remove it and go without, maybe some plexi or cardboard as a temp fix.

I'd say freak accident. Been pulling boats for almost 30 yrs and never had this sort of thing happen. Did buy a camper trailer once from a dealer in Michigan and had something tear throught the front skin on the way home, just goes to show anything can happen. No way to prevent all possibilities

mutau052
08-16-2010, 09:33 PM
before i canceled a trip i would just tow with the cover on and some cardboard support, then at the lake i would just go windowless on that side. Put the cover on at night and when not using and no one would even know.

zabooda
08-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I'd take the broken glass out of the frame and consider it a very clean window otherwise you are out of commission for six weeks.

brain_rinse
08-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I'd take the broken glass out of the frame and consider it a very clean window otherwise you are out of commission for six weeks.
Yep, same here. Shouldn't hold you back too much.

Muzzy
08-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Removed the windshield (thanks for the instructions mmandley) cleaned up all the glass and got the part number. I'll be taking your advice and just go without the glass unless I can somehow get a new piece before then. Thanks again everyone.

zabooda
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Just be careful hitting the waves as the frame won't be as rigid as if the glass was in there.

mmandley
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Removed the windshield (thanks for the instructions mmandley) cleaned up all the glass and got the part number. I'll be taking your advice and just go without the glass unless I can somehow get a new piece before then. Thanks again everyone.

I was about to suggest just go with out the windshield, it looks a little funny and you will get wetter but it wont hurt anything LOL. Course better be carefull on those trips to the Bow.

c.rix
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
time for a set of these :) if your truck is like mine I guarantee that the rock came from your own tires pick up a set of these they work great for all towables

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0054018523066a&navCount=1&podId=0054018&parentId=cat20171&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat21412-cat20171&catalogCode=XA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20171&hasJS=true

mmandley
08-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Yes sir c.rix i got these for my truck and love love them. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-tow-bars-dollies/rv-splash-guard.htm

newty
08-24-2010, 11:52 AM
The frames aren't too hard to get apart. Use some soapy water in a spray bottle to put it all back together. You will have to go to a window place and get a little strip of that gummy window adheasive. Where the rear of the broken window attatches to that divider there is no rubber seal. You will have to use that sealer when you put it all back together.
When you get ready to do it pm me and I'll give you my number so I can help you out if you need it.

Good luck brutha!

Muzzy
08-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks Newty. I disassembled the frame and pulled out all the broken glass, my window does have a rubber gasket on all 4 sides, so no need for the adhesive you’re talking about unless I misunderstood you.
For now I just cut a piece of plexi to shape and put it in there, it looks good but now the walk through window won’t shut properly, it overhangs the driver’s side by about a half inch, tried adjusting both windows but no luck. So I will just pull the walk through window out for now. The plexi must not be holding the frame in the correct shape or something.
Called Taylor Made/Water Bonnet, they said they can’t make the window for me anymore, I thought that was pretty odd, but whatever, still working with the dealer on getting me just the port side instead of the whole windshield assembly. The whole assembly is almost $1300, but I figure if just the port side is like $600, my insurance deductable is $500 so I may as well get all new glass, then I’ll have a spare drivers side if I ever need it or if anyone on here has a need for it.

mnpracing
08-24-2010, 11:59 PM
I think that's a bit troubling that you wouldn't be able to get certain replacement parts for a relatively new boat. In this case, it's the windshield, but what else are hard-to-find parts? Doesn't seem right.

psycho-heico
08-25-2010, 12:15 AM
What about a custome cut plex or some type of plastic until the part comes in...at least you'll have the boat for your trip...Just an idea..

psycho-heico
08-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Forget my reply... i just read your last entry...good luck

Sled491
08-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Just a thought, maybe Taylor doesn't make it but maybe an OEM maufactuer makes it now. Although you have to admit how many replacements would need to be made to cover our boats? This is kind of a rare occurance.