PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Moomba Cruise to Perfect Pass?

deafgoose
08-15-2010, 02:45 PM
I would like to replace the "moomba cruise" with perfect pass.

A new perfect pass setup seems to include a 3.5" gauge. I need to get the version that moomba would have included if I got the option from the factory.

Example:

http://www.perfectpass.com/images/moomba-dash.jpg

This is all I could find on their website:

Attention 2008 Moomba Boat owners. Did you know your boat is all pre-wired for PerfectPass so it is a simple “plug & play” installation. You can easily add a GPS based Star Gazer for $1049. If you already have a WakeboardPro on your Moomba, you can upgrade to Star Gazer for just $489.

maxpower220
08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Call Perfect Pass on Monday and they will send you exactly what you need.

you da man
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I know a better price

deafgoose
08-15-2010, 11:12 PM
I know a better price

You have my attention. :D

deafgoose
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I purchased the system direct from PP in Nova Scotia to save on the duty/brokerage/taxes/etc..

I will be installing this sucker today.

http://www.petsandbeyond.ca/perfectpass.jpg

jmvotto
09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
let me know how it goes, its on My xmas list. did you have to get a new gauge?

deafgoose
09-15-2010, 11:13 AM
let me know how it goes, its on My xmas list. did you have to get a new gauge?

Picture of the gauge is attached.

This is a special version from PerfectPass to replace the Moomba cruise.

jmvotto
09-15-2010, 11:33 AM
yours replaces the triangle piece wher my 07 needs a new 3.5 inch gauge. forgot they made that change in 08

deafgoose
09-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I love that my boat came pre-wired for this upgrade because installation was so easy, its not even a DIY project! It took maybe 30mins and that was while I was chatting it up with a friend and taking my time. This upgrade was plug-and-play.

It was nice to see the water tempature on the gauge. My buddy does not need to bring his thermometer anymore. :)

The system performed flawlessly. I no longer scrub off any speed when I need to turn the rider around and I was able to program 3 people into the system in a matter of minutes.

you da man
09-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Sweet. How or where did you mount the antenna?

deafgoose
09-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Sweet. How or where did you mount the antenna?

That is the only part of the install I have not completed yet.

Where exactly is it located normally from the factory?

you da man
09-16-2010, 12:03 AM

I've seen most people tap/drill a small hole in the fiberglass console and mount it on the edge near the windshield. Some have left it under the dash area and said there are no ill effects on signal

mnpracing
09-16-2010, 12:05 AM

A good place to mount the gps module is under the dash. Put the velcro on top of the gps puck and stick it under the dash. If you are sitting in the drivers seat, there is a flat area in the upper left corner if you are looking at the dash from a bird's eye view. I mounted it this way in my 06 OBV and got a gps signal in my garage with the doors closed, and never had an issue on the water.

deafgoose
09-16-2010, 12:11 AM
A good place to mount the gps module is under the dash. Put the velcro on top of the gps puck and stick it under the dash. If you are sitting in the drivers seat, there is a flat area in the upper left corner if you are looking at the dash from a bird's eye view. I mounted it this way in my 06 OBV and got a gps signal in my garage with the doors closed, and never had an issue on the water.

I am sure it would be fine under the dash but I would prefer to mount the antenna in the factory installation location.

ausbill32
09-19-2010, 01:52 PM
On my 2007, the gps in mounted right on the upper part of the dash under neath the windshield. I'd be affraid to put it underneath the dash because it may not get a signal very well but that was never tested. It's a tad bit of an eye sore to some people maybe... but to be honest, I haven't even thought about it being their unti l I read this thread.

The Stargazer GPS version is so much better than the old paddle wheel version I use to have on my Supra. There is no surging with the GPS version, it works awesome! No comparison to the Moomba cruise. Stargazer was the first upgrade I purchased for my boat and can't even imagine having to drive or wakeboard without it.

deafgoose
09-19-2010, 07:31 PM
On my 2007, the gps in mounted right on the upper part of the dash under neath the windshield. I'd be affraid to put it underneath the dash because it may not get a signal very well but that was never tested. It's a tad bit of an eye sore to some people maybe... but to be honest, I haven't even thought about it being their unti l I read this thread.

The Stargazer GPS version is so much better than the old paddle wheel version I use to have on my Supra. There is no surging with the GPS version, it works awesome! No comparison to the Moomba cruise. Stargazer was the first upgrade I purchased for my boat and can't even imagine having to drive or wakeboard without it.

I ended up mounting it under the dash. It takes 8 seconds for the GPS to lock in .vs 6 seconds when it was above the dash. I can live with that. :)

The only complaint that I have with the GPS version of Perfect Pass is that it does not take river current into consideration. I wakeboard on a river that has 1.5 MPH of current so I need to compensate and adjust the speed every time I change direction. Grrrrr....

JesseC
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I wakeboard on a river that has 1.5 MPH of current so I need to compensate and adjust the speed every time I change direction. Grrrrr....

That is the only reason that I have not upgraded mine. Our lake/river can go from a perfectly calm still current one day to a very quick current the next depending on rain and power needs. I personally have never had the paddle wheel surge or have any bad effects.

gonracn
09-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey, maybe I missed the follow on respone, but where were you able to get a better price from?

mnpracing
09-20-2010, 05:11 PM
I would have thought the paddle-wheel version would not be able to compensate for river current, but that the GPS would.

If the current was 2mph, if the paddle wheel is spinning at the same rpm all the time, then I would think the downstream real speed is 2mph faster than indicated. Conversely, the GPS is based on satellte positioning, so no matter how fast or slow the current, the indicated speed is always the real speed. So going downstream, the engine is not working as hard to go the same speed. How would a GPS not keep accurate speed because of river current?

Canuckle Head
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
I ended up mounting it under the dash. It takes 8 seconds for the GPS to lock in .vs 6 seconds when it was above the dash. I can live with that. :)

The only complaint that I have with the GPS version of Perfect Pass is that it does not take river current into consideration. I wakeboard on a river that has 1.5 MPH of current so I need to compensate and adjust the speed every time I change direction. Grrrrr....

I don't know how you Perfect Pass would be able to accomodate for this? It's measuring Speed Over Ground is it not?

deafgoose
09-20-2010, 06:32 PM
It's hard to explain but here it goes... lol

There is less "tension" in the water when going down stream. When going up-stream at the same speed, the water is harder and when you approach the wake for a jump it feels totally different. We ride 23MPH up-stream and 26MPH down-stream.

Its not about how fast your going, its about how the water feels under the board.

deafgoose
09-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey, maybe I missed the follow on respone, but where were you able to get a better price from?

I ordered direct from PP. It was $1049 + tax (5% because I live in Quebec) but free next day delivery.

Canuckle Head
09-20-2010, 07:30 PM
It's hard to explain but here it goes... lol

There is less "tension" in the water when going down stream. When going up-stream at the same speed, the water is harder and when you approach the wake for a jump it feels totally different. We ride 23MPH up-stream and 26MPH down-stream.

Its not about how fast your going, its about how the water feels under the board.

Actually your water speed is probably the same in both instances. The reason you are going slower up stream is because the water is moving in the opposite direction thus adding additional speed to the water which the GPS unit cannot take into account for.

mnpracing
09-20-2010, 08:11 PM
deaf - I understand now. thanks for the explanation